• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RosyWood

How much can you write in the time given?

12 posts in this topic

Gave myself a bit of a shock yesterday...tried to do a timed essay, and realised that I can physically only write 2 sides in one hour these days...so it doesn't matter how much I know, cos I won't have time to write it anyway! If I write faster, no-one can read it. So I either have to do less planning than I was aiming to, or make every sentence really count (in which case more planning time needed...) or practise writing for the next 12 days (and I haven't touched basic sciences yet, so.....) :-/ :'( :o

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

I knew I should have gone for paper 3 in Spring... ::)

I think it was a great thing to write an essay beforehand...many people don't and end up writing their first one on the exam day itself....(I did so and I am still revising, but I passed essay...!)

I think we should be aiming for 10-15 mins of planning...no more...!

And break down the essay in sections that are timed...

ie introduction 5-10 mins

main body 30-40 mins further broken down to in favour and against the argument...!

conclusion 5mins and the remaining time to check ....!

How does this sound?

We can never write everything that we know on the topic... thats for sure... (although I would love to)...

Royal college says that grammar, language and the format of the essay is important...

The ability to present a balanced argument of the topic...

Last time I wrote an essay, I ended up writing a number of points of what I knew...  

I am finding it really difficult to get a balance...

In addition to whatever we write...

I suggest we add tables, diagrams and number of headings to occupy space as well as convey that we know the subject...

But I am shit scared...

Multiple problems... Severe pain in the forearm at the end of page 1... and the fact that I use a fountain pen....  making things worse... :-/

Essay is not about how much you write but how you structure it. Remember that your essay on child psychiatry could sometimes be corrected by an Adult Psychiatrist. There is no use quoting 10 or more references if the flow is not smooth. The time for planning and writing depends on the individual. I used to plan for 20-25 minutes and wrote a 5-6 page essay in the next hour. Trying to include everything you know may present a problem. They are not looking for what you know on that topic but whether you stick to the question being asked. I have known people who have special interest in a particular area failing on essays asked in that subject mainly because they become circumstantial.

I completely agree with subheadings, diagramms and underlining even of main concepts etc...!

But I would not use a fountain pen....!

maybe this is personal!

other views...!

I quite like the idea of constructing a spider diagram, you know like a brainstorm, to generate subheadings and allow you to see where you are heading. And with a fountain pen too. Using one of these babies is like shaving your head.....once you have done it once you dont look back.

Ros,

I thought u were pinkelephant last week--when did u change back to ros,

arghhhhhhhhhhh...how do i keep up with the changes >:(

You are right, Daisee...I dabbled with anonymity, given the part 2 pass list will be available to all :-[

But it felt like people weren't talking to me anymore... :lol: :lol: :lol: :-[ :-[ :-[

You are right, Daisee...[highlight]I dabbled with anonymity, given the part 2 pass list will be available to all [/highlight] :-[

But it felt like people weren't talking to me anymore... :lol: :lol: :lol: :-[ :-[ :-[

I am sure you will be alright, Ros... I have been following your posts esp those on your answers. I wish i know as much as you do............... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

I am scared stiff of this part 2 myht that if am not studying... i am worrying.. my only prayer is not to make it a self-fulfilling prophecy for college where by the constant worry will set me off in a downward spiralling vicious cycle of anxiety-no concentration. i need to breakthe cycle

back to revisisng........ essay... how are people getting on with this....... :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Daisee, if you notice, I only post answers on the subjects I like, eg psychotherapy. Pure selection bias. It may look good when it happens, but unfortunately I don't know much about anything else. Haven't even got through Manchester notes once....40 year old brain, poisoned by alcohol and pregnancies...Yet again, I will be borderline and it will all depend on what they ask on Tues!

Still:

If I pass the written on Tues, then it is out of the way, and I should have time to brush up my clinical skills before November (I am soooooo slooooow.....)

If I fail the written, I will never have to write another essay in my life if I don't want to, and I will already have started revising for spring!

Positive thoughts, people!

.40 year old brain, !

I thought u said 41 elsewhere ;)

Sands, you are so rude! :lol: Definitely 40 (OK- and a half!) But I'm responding anyway, as a behavioural reward for not using my Sunday Name!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0