• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gurpal

Feedback on Part 2 Essay Paper autumn 2007

43 posts in this topic

After the written exam, please post your experience of the essay paper. If you can remember the essay questions, please post them. Thanks!

The topic that I wrote on was 'Physical health in adult psychiatric patients are neglected' Discuss this topic and explain what role mental health services can play to improve this, particularly focussing on psychoses..

The other essays were 1.on early intervention and schiz

2. L.D and association with psychiatric illness etc.

Can't remember the exact titles of these essays..

Physical health- thank you, God!

Shame it couldn't make up for the atrocity that was my critical appraisal....

Hi everyone,

I did the physical health essay too and was originally pleased with what I wrote. I'm stressing now though because I didn't really look at both sides of the argument ie I didn't argue that health is not neglected. I just wrote about the relevance of physical health, why it's neglected and how to improve it. What do others think?

I don't know what got into me and did the learning disabilities esaay of which I knew hardly anything...

Has anybody else attempted that one?

i think i did well in the essays.

I would like to specially mention superego website as this is where i picked up the topics to prepare and two of them came from this list which i was well prepared with.

Good job everyone.

I did the early intervention in psychosis essay. ;)

relaaaaaaaaax every one it is now over and the torture has finished

my mind was in shock after the critical apprasial , out of all the studies they shoosed the one we left when we were revising :'(

any way i was pleased as the only topic we prepared was 'physical health' which i thought was briliant.but i think i drifted a bit talking about ttt for psychosis.

any way my approach was:

-physiacal health in menta ilness ,psychosis premature death

-why is neglected:role of patients ,GP ,psychiatrista,staff,other professionals

-how it is no neglecte:guidlines,nice,NSF,local policies ,monitoring

-specific problems in SZ

-ways of improving: ,early detection,enhancedCPA,CMHT,CPD,ATYPICALS,PSYCHOEDUCATION,support ,social ,psychological,special clincs(smoking ,drugs,alcohol,weight)

-

there was no time to write any proper conclusion.what people think

would i pass ?????????? ::)

I had not prepared this particular topic of physical health but wrote a few pages. did not debate it well tho just wrote general pts. about for and against. wasnt sure if debate was whether they are neglected or whether we should provide extra sevices. anyway, we shall see what happens!

I am just SO relieved it's over. There is no chance of me having passed the critical review...

I chose the LD essay topic simply because I thought few people would choose it.

Now in retrospect I am very annoyed with myself.......

What did other people who wrote the LD essay write on the topic?

I included just one reference....bad, bad, bad.

I wrote about how little research is done in LD, how DSM diagnoses differ from ICD, how different ages present with different psyche symptoms, how more money is given to LD services, how multidisc team work in liason with physicians, social-services etc, triggers for relapses in LD patients, possible bio-psycho-social causes for symptoms, stigma and normalisation.

The bit about the self-injury I discussed at the end ie. naltrexone, locus coeruleus effect, imipramine receptors and behavioural therapy.

Of course I alsomentioned about the controversy of meds in LD.

WHAT DO PEOPLE THINK?

I had not prepared this particular topic of physical health but wrote a few pages. did not debate it well tho just wrote general pts. about for and against. wasnt sure if debate was whether they are neglected or whether we should provide extra sevices. anyway, we shall see what happens!

They, I feel did not want us to produce a critical argument for and against if Physical care is neglected or not.

The question carried the theme that it is generaly accepted to be neglected......prove it and tell us what can be done about it.......

I think you did ok...

That's how I interpreted it too. Fingers crossed.

Can anyone remember what the physical examination question exactly was???

Because I did not mention anything about ruling out organic causes of psychosis...

I just focused on physical health in a person already diagnosed mentally ill...

Prototype psychosis being Shiz... I went on to explain that...

and I feel I have put my foot into my you know where... :-[

Can anyone remember what the physical examination question exactly was???

Because I did not mention anything about ruling out organic causes of psychosis...

I just focused on physical health in a person already diagnosed mentally ill...

Prototype psychosis being Shiz... I went on to explain that...

and I feel I have put my foot into my you know where... :-[

Dorian I can't remember the question exactly, but I'm sure we didn't have to talk about ruling out organic causes. I certainly didn't get that impression. It was a pretty straight forward one.

Don't fret. Go and have a beer.

The wording of the question on physical healthcare was awful. I didn't know if the physical healthcare being neglected part was meant to be specific to psychosis or if the bit that was specific to psychosis was what mental health services should do.

It was probably the shock of the CA paper that made me confused ::)

Completely agree with Ros.

Dorian.....I know you will pass....

The question I think was dead straight and in my opinion needed no organic kind of plava...

The wording was 'The physical health needs of adult psychiatric patients are neglected' Discuss this topic and what mental health services can do to improve this, particularly focussing on the psychoses.

I'm now thinking that the wording implies it's ok to assume they are neglected. At least I hope so, because I really didn't debate that they're not neglected at all. Otherwise, they wouldn't have said services needed to improve, would they?

Definitely didn't have to talk about organic causes

Thanks lad... I just hope all of us do...

Whoa tbre... you have total recall man...

Thanks... I appreciate that

I think that essay question should address

1. Have adult patents with mental disoerders got significant physical health issues

how does it compare with the generl population

2. Are these issues given the attention that they deserve

3. How has the situation arisen

4. What is the current arrangement in addressing physical health and is it satisfactory

5. What needs to change

Remember this essay is a repeat

See this APT

http://apt.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/11/2/125

http://apt.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/11/6/457

http://apt.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/10/2/107

And of course you have to zero it down to Psychoses and Schizophrenia in particular

How does that sound

Did anyonr write about the earl intervention in Schizo. That was sooooooo strait forward that i grabed that topic. Some people who wrote the physical one did write about the metabolic syndrome mainly.

Did anyonr write about the earl intervention in Schizo. That was sooooooo strait forward that i grabed that topic. Some people who wrote the physical one did write about the metabolic syndrome mainly.

Well... metabolic syndrome is the silent killer... and that is the in thing now...

I did mention that people on Clozapine get monitored for agranulocytosis, but they are more likely to die of an MI due to weight gain and diabetes...

Also the fact that people with EPR complain of the side effects because they are intolerable... but metabolic syndrome is the silent killer and may go unnoticed so there is nothing wrong in focusing on what I think is important...

and the fact that the essay is my piece of work.. so i decide what to include (as with all exams, if the idea collides with that of the examiner's... I pass)

And what they are not expecting is a summary of Swaran Singh's APT article on EIP.. I would guess they want our view... Unless Swaran Singh is one of the examiners...  :lol:

I am not sorry for being pedantic and irreverent....  :lol:

This is funny because I wrote the physical health one.

The references I included were McCreadie,Cormac,Brown and Swaran Singh/H.Fisher!

I think it was the devil who made me write his name.....

I hope they won`t penalize me for that :(

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0