Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gurpal

Feedback on Part 2 Essay Paper autumn 2007

43 posts in this topic

This is funny because I wrote the physical health one.

The references I included were McCreadie,Cormac,Brown and Swaran Singh/H.Fisher!

I think it was the devil who made me write his name.....

I hope they won`t penalize me for that :(

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ughhhh.... the smileys are not working... :P :-[

Gosh now they are... :-X

is that a way to increase ur post count Dorian ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ughhhh.... the smileys are not working...  :P :-[

Gosh now they are...  :-X

is that a way to increase ur post count Dorian ?  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah I am gaining on you Sagir... but the smileys were not working actually...(bad excuse i know) :):lol:

:) Thank you Dejavu for those references. I wrote the physical health one but not very convinced I did justice to it!

:) The essence of the essays is to generate a debate-both for and against, unless the question has been framed otherwise. With regard to the physical health stuff, I think you need a balanced argument.

I think you need a balanced argument

But also to bear in mind that the question was in two parts not just whether or not we were neglecting physical health but also what could we do about it in future.

I am not going to worry about this one- there is no point. Even if I fail, I will never have to write another essay in exam conditions ever again, and that is worth celebrating. The MCQs, on the other hand will probably be churned out in a different form from Spring onwards.

These were the Autumn 2007 Essay Questions Verbatim.

1. Early Intervention in Schizophrenia remains controversial. With reference to the evidence base, provide a balanced critique of the place of early intervention services in the overall provision of care for patients with schizophrenia.

2. 'The physical health needs of adult psychiatric patients are neglected'.

Discuss this statement and how mental health services should respond with particular reference to psychoses

3.'People with learning disabilities are at incresed risk of developing psychiatric and psychological morbidity'.

Discuss this statement and consider the role of the psychiatrist in the assessment and management of such problems, with particular reference to self injury.

;) Thanks Onome. I'm pleasantly surprised you managed to quote them 'verbatim'! How did you do that?

Thanks onome

That should now stop the debate if we needed to produce a critical argument about physical health care neglected or not.Question clearly says discuss and the second part again implies that they want us to assume it is indeed neglected.

;) Lad, you are entitled to your opinion and I hope you're right. However, I still think the essay calls for a balanced debate. Yes, on balance, physical health needs are generally neglected, but a one-dimensional approach, in my opinion, would not be the best way of writing that essay.

;) Lad, you are entitled to your opinion and I hope you're right. However, I still think the essay calls for a balanced debate. Yes, on balance, physical health needs are generally neglected, but a one-dimensional approach, in my opinion, would not be the best way of writing that essay.

Justice... Could you give me one evidence to say that physical health is not neglected... or to say that we need not look at physical health of our patient.

:-/

As far as I'm concerned the physical health of our patients are neglected in comparison with patients without mental health problems. I cannot see how you can provide a balanced argument with regards to this as it is a fact.

Dear Justice

Please do not take me wrong.

Essays are funny thing in many respect.And this is a stupid exam organised by a stupid college.

I feel that we should now forget about what we did was right or wrong and get into the 5th gear for PMPs and Clinicals.

As far as I'm concerned the physical health of our patients are neglected in comparison with patients without mental health problems. I cannot see how you can provide a balanced argument with regards to this as it is a fact.

I would have to disagree in some repects. Patients in our long term wards get yearly bloods and physicals as a minimum. They get their BP checked as well as their lipids and if primary prevention with antihypertensives or statins is appropriate they are commenced. Yes, I think in some respects we don't do enough to monitor physical health but if you want to compare to the general population be aware that the vast majority of them will not have any form of physical health check from year to year. Neglect is a very strong word and I wonder if the college specifically chose to use it. Neglect implies that we are failing in even our basic duties of care to patients.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0