Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carlo

NEW INTERESTING ISQs

28 posts in this topic

Hello Fellow SpRs-in-waiting!!

(how long we got to wait is a mistery, however ::) )

As we have succesfully done in the past, I'd like to start this section.

These ISQs are freshly made by us in an exam-fashion.

Everyone is welcome to answer as a useful distraction from boring study routine.

Rules:

1) Answer one ISQ each time, possibly copy and paste it, or at least number it.

2) Give clear references, or state you are just guessing.

3) Avoid excessive repetition of previously answered ISQs, please.

Everyone is welcome to post NEW INTERESTING ISQs as long as he/she is prepared to give timely answers with appropriate reference source.

ONE WARNING: NEW INTERESTING ISQs CAN BE VERY ADDICTIVE!!!

Do approach them with caution 8)

OK, Fellas.. First five (answers will follow tomorrow or as soon as enough people attempt to answer them):

BASIC PSYCHOLOGY

1) In Old Age, there's a reduction of fluid but not of crystallized intelligence.

2) Spearman suggested that a single factor (g) underlies all other mental abilities.

3) The Flynn effect explains the reduced ability to recall emotionally charged memories.

4) Trait theories of personality are the best available model in predicting one's future behaviour.

5) Raymond Cattell used factor analysis to identify 16 source traits which form the basic elements of an individual's personality.

1) In Old Age, there's a reduction of fluid but not of crystallized intelligence.

True

2) Spearman suggested that a single factor (g) underlies all other mental abilities.

True

3) The Flynn effect explains the reduced ability to recall emotionally charged memories.

False

4) Trait theories of personality are the best available model in predicting one's future behaviour.

True

5) Raymond Cattell used factor analysis to identify 16 source traits which form the basic elements of an individual's personality.

True

Must add however that the above are just guesses and i havent a clue about references etc! but what the heck, there's no negative marking.

one thing is sure, these interesting isqs will make me check out the answers posted for them later on.

Excellent, fellows.. that's how I like it :lol:

I wanted to start off very easily in fact your guesses are pretty good.

There's only one wrong answer.. the solution tomorrow with references and a load of 5 new interesting ISQs, a little harder this time..

8)

Buonanotte

As promised, here we have the ultimate answers.

I must lament the sluggish interest from the folk.. except psychdoc and smirnoff of course. ::)

Scared everyone??

TRUE

This is held in the classic study by Horn and Cattell (1966), where the ability to learn new material was impaired in the elderly but the verbal ability was still as efficient as ever.

TRUE

Another classic study (Charles Spearman, 1904). Spearman extracted a single factor which he called 'the general ability factor (g) that he believed underlies all other abilities.

This forms the basis for the psychometric approach which later led to concepts like the IQ.

FALSE

Nothing to do with it.

The Flynn effect describes the finding (by Flynn, 1987) that the mean IQ scores have increased by 3 points per decade in the western world.

This has been attributed to a number of factors including better nutrition, cultural changes,and so on.

FALSE

This is the main criticism to the trait theory of personality.

Walter Mischel (personality and assessment, 1968) who founded the 'situationalism' elegantly demonstarted that the correlation between trait and future behaviour seldom exceeds 0.3, accounting for only 9% of human behaviour (the 0.3 barrier).

This concept led to 'Interactionism': human behaviour is a result of the interaction between the Person and the Situation (P x S) .

Costa and McCrae, fathers of the main trait theory, the Five Factor Model (FFM) in fact acknowledged Mischel's criticism and introduced the concept of 'Basic Tendencies' and 'Characteristic Adaptations' which interact reciprocally to produce behgaviour.

Ideographic models therefore still are more accurate in predicting the individulal's future behaviour although much more complicated to elaborate.

8)

TRUE

Another classic study: Cattell's 16 Primary Personality Factors (16 PF) , 1950.

This led to the 16 Personality Questionnaire, a self report scale used in research.

Later authors extracted 5 second-order factors form the 16 PF: extraversion, neuroticism, tough poise, independence and control (Krug and Jones, 1986)

Ready for more??

:lol:

Let's stick with Basic Psychology for the time being.

6) An individual who attributes outcomes of events to outside factors such as luck or other people is prone to stress related emotional symptoms, poor job satisfaction and low self esteem.

7) In Social Learning Theory, Reciprocal determinism interacts with Vicarious learning, Self-regulation and Social reward to reinforce learning processes.

8 ) Albeit valid, the Hare PCL-R is seldom used in Forensic practice as it involves a rather distressing and prolongued interview process.

9) Self-actualisation and Positive self-regard are among the highest points in Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

10) The Myers-Briggs type indicator is a personality inventory popular with business and personnel choice and is based on Jung's six personality types.

GO ON FOLKS!!

Surprise me.

::)

I'll give these questions a go, but only guesses, so any other thoughts would be appreciated:

6: True - this sounds like it means external locus of control

7: True- reciprocal determinism is something to do with social leaarning theory but i'm not sure if rest of question is correct

8: False - I thought Hare PCL-R is used widely within forensics

9: True- can't remember exact order of heirarchy but think they are higher up

10: True- most of the question is true though i'm not sure about 'six personality types' - possibility sixteen?

6: True

7: False

8: False

9: True

10: False

again all guesses...but just one question for carlo -

from where do u get all these isqs?

seems like alot of hard work and i really do appreciate ur effort!!

He He.. I must have sadistic traits!

I'm currently revising Basic Psychology so it ain't actually that difficult, I like making up ISQs and we had a little team doing that six months ago which brought us all luck! It also helps me revising as well.

They are actually all from the magnificent 'Psychological Basis of Psychiatry' from MS Thambiraja, brand new edition!

I think this is the only basic psychology textbook that is 100% relevant to us and is a pleasure to read.

I'm also into Neurosciences research which I guess helps.

Cheerio

Oh, by the way, I can spot a couple of wrong answers..

::)

now thats sadisitic.....

u have spotted a couple of wrong ones....and u havent corrected them!

6) An individual who attributes outcomes of events to outside factors such as luck or other people is prone to stress related emotional symptoms, poor job satisfaction and low self esteem.

TRUE

ELC theory indeed. (Rotter 1966)

7) In Social Learning Theory, Reciprocal determinism interacts with Vicarious learning, Self-regulation and Social reward to reinforce learning processes.

FALSE

RD interacts with vicarious learning (modelling), self regulation and SELF EFFICACY. I invented the social reward bit as I am mean.

:lol:

8 ) Albeit valid, the Hare PCL-R is seldom used in Forensic practice as it involves a rather distressing and prolongued interview process.

FALSE

It is indeed the most commonly used one.

9) Self-actualisation and Positive self-regard are among the highest points in Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

FALSE

I tricked this again.. ::)

Self actualisation is indeed the highest point in the hierarchy but positive self regard is a concept developed by Carl Rogers (based on Maslow's) in his Person-Centred approach. Another concept is conditins of worth. He developed the Client Centred Therapy in 1951.

Psychol Basis of psych pag 69

Will post New exciting ISQs tomorrow. Maybe. 8)

Woops, I almost forgot that:

10) The Myers-Briggs type indicator is a personality inventory popular with business and personnel choice and is based on Jung's six personality types.

TRUE

Sure he did: thinking vs feeling, intuition vs sensation and extraversion vs intraversion.

:-*

Obciously noone seems to be interested inposting anything new.

I'll have to do that alone again.

NO problems, I'll be on later with more: if someone feels like joining in, is most welcome.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0