• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kuntama

part 2 overall

29 posts in this topic

:P :PHi! I'm taking the part 2 in spring next year. I haven't started any work yet. but where do i start?

if some body could brief us as how to kickoff for part2 in spring.

thankyou

dear khuram&kuntama,

as everyone who has done part2 would agree,there is no hard and fast protocol to fit everyone and you would know that too.

preparing for part2 can be either very exam focussed orit can be very broad and indepth.dependiong on what your mode of revising is,and your commitments,set time aside for reading.

i'm one of those fellows who can't be bothered to read everything and have bit of social life to worry so-exam focus.i can tell you bit about that but would not comment on long term preparation for the exam coz i haven't got a clue

sorry posted that before i finished!

anyway,i started reading from basics-pointing to the exam- ICD10 of whatever can come for the exam with the text book next to it! and i used only the short version of Oxford,no patience for the long version

then get hold of materials for part2- i founf manchester and Guildford were fantastic.you will need a fair bit of time on these because,as you know they are very concentarted materials and,there are some mistakes in them too!! so watch out.

here comes the work- Critical appraisal.please please work a bit on these coz they can just drag you down so easily.many of my friends who failed,didn't fare well in these.

also work on the structure of your essays and broad essay plans to fit anything.create brain maps for essays so that you can tinker around any topic.look into the college's yellow jornal for hot and topics of interest in the past few months.

MCQs, man its mainly guess work but try and work out the ones on superego cafe-previous papers.you will be surprised how many daft questions get repeated and for how many actually you can find answers.one of my friend failed just in MCQs.that was a big Blow for us coz we always thought  no one could fail in MCQs

cont....

cont..

And then have a good group.don't read on your own.have atleast 3 or 4 people in the group.your work for searching answers will be cut out and preparing for PMPs are easier.

PMPs,look into superego cafe's sites, trickcyclists site, and get the Lilly rep to give you the PMP book.20 in them not very good but gives you a fair idea what to and how to prepare.

if you are looking for anything specifically,please give a shout and i can tell you what i did!!

hope that was useful fellas.

cheers

i would agree with what kurudan has said - very sound advice.

essays and critical review are the ones which need the most work i feel. and if u can be fairly confident about these two things, then passing the theory exams shud be a bit easier. mcqs involve a bit of luck and clever guess work - and the superego forum is invaluable for that.

all in all it is not that daunting a task though it may seem that way at present. (if only i can get a pass in my clinicals - !!)

thankyou guys! I'm pretty much exam-orientated too. I can't cope with big books. Can you recommend a SMALL book for critical review?

Hello

Thank u guys for timely advices.

Is anyone interested in making a beginning towards

preparing for spring part2 through this site.

I am ready

Perhaps it will give us some inspiration to atleast start collecting materials and books

Hello mcdonald

I have just about started preparing for the spring exam.I entirely agree with the concept that the reading needs to be broad based .I am poor in critical appraisal and need to work from the basics. I thought that a good place to start will be reading APT's and I am reading through the 2004 issues to get a grounding.

May I suggest that we start off with topics that have appeared in recent exams so that we get our heads around essay writing and gradually venture out further.Let's start simultaneously on essay plans and critical appraisal, leaving out ISQ'S and EMI's for now.

What is the general opinion regarding this?

A small book for critical appraisal that has been previously recommended in this forum is:

'Making Sense of Critical Appraisal' By Olajide Ajetunmobi, published by Arnold ISBN 0340808128

I used this book as it is short, well written and covers all the important topics. Where it falls down is that like all maths exams you need to practice past papers.

The mock questions at the back of the Lawrie book 'Critical Appraisal for Psychiatry' are excellent to reinforce what has hopefully already been read and understood. It also gives an idea on what marks are given for.

As already stated everybody seems to have their own way to revise for this exam. There are mock question papers with model answers on the Manchester Course and the next edition of the College Seminar Series on Critical Appraisal is due this January I think.

Hello !!

I guess I'm one of those wjo like a broad studying.. somehow I still managed to have a decent social life, lucky me! Maybe that's why I tried 3 times :P#

Anyway.. very good advice above!

Furtherly, remember that what u've done for PartI is relevant in Part II as well, so I'd start by revising that (Basic Sciences Paper)

Also try and spend time reading Journals (AJP, APT, BJP) as it is a god way to acquire current knowledge and appropriate language, useful for Essay and Clinical but also for MCQs

I used to like having a box with old MCQs ang do some of them every day, searching the literature for the answers I didn't know. This way suits mad holistic studiers like myself who actually enjoy the studying. If u got time on our hand, as u would if u start now, this I believe is a very good trick. After several weeks u start realizing u have covered most of the subjects!

Finally, This Website is excellent for any sort of review as Royal College seems to repeat itself and many of the ISQs where found here and at exam day.

Of course start very early with CRP.

Finally, have a good night sleep the night before the exam, and use 'the force' when u don't know the answers.

Good Luck!

(I sooo hope I needn't do that again .. dread 17/12!!)

:lol:

Hi ramaniyam

sounds fantastic.

I am very happy to make a beginning.

I myself am totally clueless about part 2, including the syllabus.

So it is a real beginning for me.

I have NO study materials or books to start with.

Do u suggest any websites to access e-journals.

It is not easy for me to drop into library.

rfh's advice about making sense of critical appraisal is right.it was a nice one to begin with and to be honest it has a lot of information quite sufficient to pass the exam if we can grasp it.

lawrie et al's book and how to pass MRCPsych by Peter trigwell is also a good one to look into.it gives you a good idea on essays as well.

good luck!

holy man! i also remembered,if you can manage to catch hold of anyone who went to the Edinburgh course,man they have fab material for critical appraisal and also previous papers.i think that gives the best idea of what to expect.

all the papers that are given for critical appraisla are doctored slightly so as to make it easy for us so don't try to work out real papers if you are like me but if you are brilliant in statistics,then give them a shot!!

carlo has given great ideas as well so look into that mates.its also nice to see two of you making a study group already.cheers

Dear Kurudan,Psychodoc179,Rfh and Carlo,

Thankyou very much for the advices.

I have started by ordering the making sense of critical appraisal book from amazon.

Wish you all the best!

Thanks khuram for the good wishes..i sure do need a lot of them!!

the idea abt the critical appraisal course in edinburgh is great - it is jointly run by stephen lawrie and andrew macintosh who are the authors of the critical appraisal book and the course runs for two days. and edinburgh is a spectacular place to spend some time in.

the next course is on 26-27 feb 2005 and this is the website:

DEAR KURUDAN,PSYCHODOC179, rfh, CARLO

THANK U VERY MUCH,

WISH U ALL THE VERY BEST

I AM SURE U ALL WILL PASS & ONCE U DO, PLEASE DONT FORGET US.

CONTINUE TO POST SUCH HELPFUL TIPS SO THAT WE CAN ALSO CROSS THIS (seemingly)LAST HURDLE SOON

THANKS ONCE AGAIN

fellas,

i've taken my nickname and put my real name on my user profile.thanks for all your wishes.hope fully things would go well.when i pass,i'd tell you all.

if there is anything else in particular you want answering please give a shout.cheers

as for pep for part 2 paranth has posted some good advise but some seem far fetched/confusing can some one/paranth clarify and give some advise as to best revision method 3 months before exam.

hi folks, i am waiting for the part 2 results and here are a couple of useful points FOR THEORY

1.DO not worry about giving references. when i gave theory the first time i 'knew' the topic asked ie'services for Dual Diagnoses' and must have quoted 12 references!!!i failed in the essay. the feedback said please ARGUE the case not vomit facts and improve you spelling please!!! The cheek!! i found the cambridge course useful for essay preperation.

2.Manchester notes on critical review and steven lawrie very usefull

3. ISQ is a gamble anyway

i really hope i do not have to go thru this again. fingers crossed.

ALL the best and happy christmas!!!!!

URL

hi venus

i wouldn't entirely agree on not giving any referees at all.but i do agree its more about arguing for and against the topic and how weel you do in it.but if it is an evidence based essay,i would not take up that essay if i don't know referees because,that will be treading on hot oil!!

but yes,if your essay is good,does needs only  pro's and cons,then may be you don't need much referees or any at all but you definitely have an advantage if you give relevant referees.

good luck with your results venus!!

sabi! this is for you!

don't panick,depending on your capacity to read,3 and half months may be a lot of time too.start now, today is the best day for anything,crack on and you will be fine. good luck!

thanks paranth for elaborating on that point.essentially, i think memorising and regurgitating references should be lower down on the priority list , but using standard stuff ie:Gunn and Taylor for forensic or Rutter for child and even mention of NSF or NICE would carry weight !! As i said cambridge course /notes on the essay gives solid simple hints on this.

hi guys,

There is no exact way of doing this exam......but one thing before trying to read just believe that ur going to do it and dont let that confidence go down anyday until u finish....

1.Critical appraisal.....start with trisha greenhalgh ,then olajade(think i spelt it tight)....then stephen lawrie.....read lawrie again and again and again......practise as many paers u can...the yello wbook is definelty worth doing.....memoris all the definitions and the formulas....

2.Essays......the best thing to go about is not reading just the journals but to do in the reverse order....that is...take a topic like autism....frame a q...write ur own essay without looking at the books....intrduction,mainbody,conclusion....it would amount of only few lines...dont worry go back to books....and put the points in ur book in to ur essay....then go in to the journals on the website....enter autism whatever article comes browse through and enter any good points in ur autism essay....and so on do all the essays about 20 - 30 topics and revise for the exam...

3.manchester mcqs and the superego past questions(find the answers in google...hard work but 1/3 comes from superego) and little bit of part 1 stuff

4.Finally even if ur studying one hour a day make sur u study first half hour critical appraisl and the next half hour essay and the next day critical appraisl and mcq...until the exam day....ALL THE BEST GUYS :-*

ramjaane!

sorry mate didn't see your message for me.i know i have posted everything that came to my mind when i was giving an idea how to prepare for the part2.what do you need lcarifications on?i am more than happy to clarify it.giveme a shout.cheers

and venus,i entirely agree with you.spending too much time to memorise references helps nothing.even two decent references will be sufficient in a good essay i think.but i may be wrong!!

best wishes for the new year everyone.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0