• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gurpal

Feedback on the Part 2 ISQ/EMI papers Autumn 2005

74 posts in this topic

After the Part II ISQ/EMI papers, please post an account of your experience, good or bad. If you remember any questions, please post them, even if you think you're repeating someone else's post. Thanks and good luck on results day!

I wondered weather this exam really tests our knowledge in psychiatry or our current affairs knowledge. Most of the questions in the isq's were absolutely bonkers.

Let me recover from this ordeal and come back in few hours to vomit out those nonsensical questions. ;)

Basic sciences isq paper was a shocker,  lots of sociology questions u can hardly find in standard psychology textbooks so at the end of the day apart from getting mrcpsych we should also be getting phd in sociolgy thanks to royal college

>:(

i had just recovered from the critical review paper when I was finally destroyed by the basic sciences paper, what a total load of utter CRAP>. I knew about 7 answers correct, the remainder I guessed and I basically do not know why we even bother to turn up for this paper.

BAsic science paper was simply horrendous, guessing game! I can't see how this is useful in differentiating future psychiatrists!

Overall a truly a disastrous day made worse by having a bad cold.

Royal college is determined to test my threshold to turn into a nutcase! ::):D:lol: >:(:o :-X :-/

It is impossible to read for basic sciences ISQ because only the royal college knows the secret textbook to find answers for the absolutely crap questions. >:( >:(

well said mate. Guess every one in royal college should be assessed under mental health act as they all seem to have lost the plot. This is day robbery!!sucks mate. ;)

What can you expect from a process that makes you repeat the written after passing it the last time???

Sorry but bitter!

i thought basic sciences was ok, but clinical ,what the hell they wanted??

very vague questions aas if we were playing who wants to be a millionnair?

its going to be a lottery

Basic sciences paper is total crap, with no relevance to current day psychiatric practice. If I pass the exam I am thinking of writing a letter to the royal college to stop people from going through this circus every 6 months.I think everyone who passes the theory, but fails in the clinicals have to write to the royal college to spare us of having to write theory again as it really makes no sense.

hi everybody,

i am worried about results

felt whole exam was better than what i expected, feel i could have done much better

-i attempted only 60% of whole critical paper

-essay thought went ok but after psychological autopsy feel i have missed on loads of things

-mcq was easier than i expected but never know.

will try and post questions without recall bias or retrospective falsification tonight

I THINK MCQ PAPER TOOK A BROAD VIEW THAT TO BE A GOOD PSYCHIATRIST YOU DON'T JUST NEED CORE PSYCHIATRY FACTS BUT ALSO USING COMMON SENSE BASED ON ACTIVE THINKING. WE USE THAT ALL THE TIME IN OUR DAY TO DAY PRACTICE. I AM PERFACTLY SATISFIED WITH THE SETUP OF THE MCQ PAPER(THAT DOES NOT MEAN I AM CONFIDANT OF PASSING :D) .

AS FOR CRP ALL PEOPLE I HAVE SPOKEN TO, HAD NO CLUE ABOUT QUITE A FEW Qs. SO I HOPE THESE Qs WILL BE LESS IMPORTANT IN DECIDING THE RESULT AND WERE PROBABLY MEANT FOR NEXT EXAM GOERS THAT THEY NEED TO KNOW POISSON COFFICIENT(OR WHATEVER IT WAS ;)) TO ATTAIN CRP SKILLS. HOPEFULL THINKING HEY :lol:

frustration,. i think if no work was done for yesterdays exam a candidate might do just as well as those who worked hard.

Can i suggest writing en mass to the present minister for health?

I am sure she would be interested to know that a large amount of her budget goes on locum psychiatrists, consultant positions remain unfilled, trusts are forking out millions and the college ensures we have a major obstacle by having to repeat the writtens each time, and of course they really have no appeals procedure worth talking about. I am sure whatever idiots decided that the written and clinical had to be passed at the same time didnt have to suffer the ordeal themselves.

Lets face it when they did the exams all they had was haloperidol hardly rocket science.

One thing that got me were that there were 4 questions on duloxetine, a drug that has only just been licenced in the UK and is not on most hospital formularies. How were we supposed to get information on its half-life etc? I have just tried to find info and the only place I could find it was on the drug companies web site.

The ISQs were a shocker, especially the Basic Sciences. I think I'd seen maybe 3 of them before, and 10 Clinical Topics.

Lots of educated guessing.

And then random guessing.

'If you don't know in Basic Sciences say true, if you don't know in Clinical Topics say false' was fallen back on a fair bit.

The EMIs were, if anything, even worse.

And where pray tell was the General Adult Psychiatry in all this?

Ah well... At least everyone found it hard.

what a pile of ......

as for the basic sciences EMIs!!!! ..well at least they made up for it on the EMIs in the clincal.

ISQs were a joke -totally with anthonyc on this dutoxetine business -hadnt even heard of it!!

maybe all the rumours of the college monitoring this site +manchester course notes are right!! :-X 30-50% (MAX) repeats vs 70-80% in part I.

what do you think?

totally glad people didnt like it either ....maybe a pass is possible after all!! ;)

as for the basic sciences EMIs!!!! ..well at least they made up for it on the EMIs in the clincal.

I'm doomed. I found most Clinical EMIs OK, but there were a couple of evil ones even there...

maybe all the rumours of the college monitoring this site +manchester course notes are right!! :-X 30-50% (MAX) repeats vs 70-80% in part I.

what do you think?

totally glad people didnt like it either ....maybe a pass is possible after all!! ;)

Seems like they're watching us alright.

Questions that I remember:

1- in group therapy analysis is in the group, of the group, by the group

2. Nicotint receptors in the brain are ion gated

3- Duloxitine has significant benefit in urgent incontinence

4- Duloxetine is serotonine and NA reuptake inhibitor

5- Conduct disorder has 0.1-0.2 inheritance

6- when the mother remary girls are more distressed than boys

7- social cohecion protects against influenza

8- maternal deprivation is significantly associated with alcohol dependence

further questions:

1- Duloxitine has a halfe life of 24 hours

2- Somnambolism occurs in stage 3 and 4 NREM sleep

3- Eysenk personality inventory is idiographic

4- EEG in Huntington disease shows characteristic spikes and waves

5- Delirium is associated with theta waves in EEG

6- Bullemia is associated with significant increase in rectal carcinoma

7- exessive alcohol drinking is significantly associated with incresed oesophageal carcinoma

8- Hachiniski score can differentiate alzheimers from mixed vascular and alzheimers disease

9- Lewy bodies are seen in about 30% of people with dementia

10- screening for ApoE is useful in councelling of family members in alzheimers disease

Further questions:

1- prevalence of mania in older adults is 5% in the community

2- Tinnitus is more common in benzodiazepine dependence than GAD

3- Male dominent baboons in a stable group are the most aggresive

4- in psychodynamic psychotherapy interpretations shoul alwys be tentative.

5- In HIV, infected cells enter the brain in eary stages of the illness

6- Mirtazapine blocks H1 receptors

7- Clozapine causes acathesia less than risperidone in any dosage.

duolexetine is of benefit in women with stress incontinence.

duolexetine has a half life of 24 hours

duolextine is an ssri and nari

There is an risk of cancer of the colon in bulimia

Eysenck's personality category is idiographic

Lewy bodies are seen in 40% of dementia

The chances of the mother having a new partner is inversely proportional to the amount of contact the father {previous partner}has with the child.....some nonsense along these lines.

There is an increase chance of re-cohabiting if the father has been seeing the children weekly than no contact at all.

Clozapine produces less akathisia at any dose compared to risperidone.

The oldest child has an increased risk of developing alcohol dependence.

Group analysis is of the group,by the group ,for the group.

further questions:

1- Gestalt psychology includes law of closure

2- capacity to consent to treatment also includes that the person reatains the information

3- speach in Broka's aphasia contains short phrases

4- women are more suggetible than men under interrogation

5- theory of mind develops around age 4

6- agitation is described by WHO as disability

7- patints with MS who complain of fatigue are usually depressed

8- Munchausen by proxi is classified under factitious disorders

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0