Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joyleung

Prep for Spring 2006!

11 posts in this topic

Dear all,

After the happy result releasing of part I, it is time to read! We have 4 months left and it is barely enough.

To start with, I'd like to ask for all about

1. Did anyone having 'answered' MCQ past papers / critical appraisal / essay questions, apart from those could be obtained in superego cafe?

2. I heard that to read the last 2 years of Advances in Psychiatric Treatment and Current Opinions in Psychiatry for essay. Any suggestions?

3. Any must read books? I'm thinking of the small red book on critical appraisal by livingstone or the college series on critical appraisal. More?

4. Courses. Which must attend / having notes available? (Manchester? Liverpool?0

Any other interesting questions?

I will definitly recomend reading Making Sense of Critical Appraisal by Olajide Ajetunmobi .

And most important of all jion or form a group to

keep your sense of humour going

keep you motivated

pass this silly exam!!!

Best of Luck

Earthy

This is certainly a good book and easy to read. I've read it too!

Let's keep working!

its a good book.also get college seminar book for critical appraisal.not sure how to prepare for essay.any advice? :'(

hi,

I think the critical appraisal book is very very well written.. regarding the essays inspite of all the noise about reading a lot of APT etc etc .. a few of my collegaues (who passed this time) felt it was a waste of time and more sensible would have been developing core knowledge and learning how to brainstorm the topic and make a good essay plan.

Rajiv

its a good book.also get college seminar book for critical appraisal.not sure how to prepare for essay.any advice? :'(

Neha,

look at the last 2 years of the APT particularly the editorials.You will then be able to identify a recurring trend of topical issues. I'll recommend reading the leading papers in these areas and also writing loads of essay plans. Essay plans written individually and discussed in groups are helpful as it makes your approach to the essay more rounded and complete.

from my personal review of recent literature my suggested topics are personality disorder-current trends in treatment & service provision, physical health problems of psychiatric patients, PTSD and early onset psychosis among several.

Speculating the essay Questions is not vey easy but I wont go into that exam without being fully armed with my references on these topics.If the exam proves my speculations were wrong then I'll think on my feet and give the essay my best shot

I hope you find this information helpful.Good luck

Tao

hi,

I think the critical appraisal book is very very well written.. regarding the essays inspite of all the noise about reading a lot of APT etc etc .. a few of my collegaues (who passed this time) felt it was a waste of time and more sensible would have been developing core knowledge and learning how to brainstorm the topic and make a good essay plan.

Rajiv

Rajiv-leeds

I'm not sure I agree with the impression that reviewing the recent APTs was a waste of time for the Autumn 2005 essay paper.There was at least enough in the literature at the time to suggest there was growing interest in role & involvement of carers in  care of our patients.There was a Paper by a Jan Oyebode on the same issue and an editorial by another social worker -cant remember references now.

furthermore there's no harm in knowing what's topical in Uk psychiatry when approaching the Colleges final exams .you never know when & where some of these bits of information will become relevant in the exam-ISQ, IPA even PMPs.

Tao

I agree with tao. I think reading the journals APT, Psychiatric bulletin and BJPsych does help. I am not telling that one particlar article will be repeated as an essay, but one can certainly integrate extracts from various articles in an essay. That's exactly what I did for my eating diorder essay in Autumn 2005

Dear all,

After the happy result releasing of part I, it is time to read!  We have 4 months left and it is barely enough.

To start with, I'd like to ask for all about

1. Did anyone having 'answered' MCQ past papers / critical appraisal / essay questions, apart from those could be obtained in superego cafe?

2. I heard that to read the last 2 years of Advances in Psychiatric Treatment and Current Opinions in Psychiatry for essay.  Any suggestions?

3. Any must read books?  I'm thinking of the small red book on critical appraisal by livingstone or the college series on critical appraisal.  More?

4. Courses.  Which must attend / having notes available?  (Manchester?  Liverpool?0

Any other interesting questions?

it is a complete waste of time reading BJP/APT for the exam. i was advised against this. i only read few of the journals just to know how to write a typical essay. please dont do essay spotting, too dangerous. i will say manchester essays from 2003 to 2005 are fantastic, they have covered almost all the possible questions and they supplied very useful references for essays and later they will be useful for your PMP/IPA.

for critical review get college book answer the questions, time yourself before looking at the answers. attend superegocafe course, get Ajetunmobi book very simple and compact.

for ISQ/EMI though funny advise but dont read any book. all the answers are on this cafe. i only went through the part 2 ISQ/EMI club member section. that is more than enough. also part 1 MRCPsych exam carries up to 35 % of the ISQ/EMI questions.

best of luck.

Yeah totally agree with oluwabusi - APT waste of time, unless there is an article of interest in there. I mean u would have thought there might be some thing about PTSD/disaster MH etc (and there was articles on it in APT) but noooo ...college ask us about compliance!!!! ????

Manc notes for knowledge -which will help with the lottery that are the ISQ/EMIs. Cover the main topics in psychiatry (which are in the manc notes +their plan essays) so you will be able to write at least a good paragraph on it.

As for critical appraisal definately go through college yellow book (3rd ed) + a text book. I found 'Practical psychiatric Epidemiology' Prince et al, helpful (though i was given the book!! ;) ) and actually a little section in the out of date 'Pass the MRCPsych parts i & ii very helpful as well (get from ur friendly/aggressive marketeer lilly rep). also learn to WRITE QUICK!!!

hope that helps and good luck

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0