Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest khuram

Any suggestions(Child)

22 posts in this topic

1.Tricyclic antidepressants have been shown to work in adolescents.

2.The death of a parent is associated with school truency.

3.Child abuse is associated with an insecure pattern of attachment.

4.Adopted children with a biological family history of schizophrenia have a higher incidence of eating disorders than their adopted family.

2.The death of a parent is associated with school truency

False

I think it is broken home and parental conflict which could be the culprit.

Oh well my consultant has just told me that parental death can be associated with truency if the other parent lacks sufficient enough parenting skills!

More from the last exam

5.Mutation of the Methytetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) allele is associated with adolescent onset depression

6.Epidemiological studies of adolescents have shown that over 50% of girls are dieting in the US

6.Epidemiological studies of adolescents have shown that over 50% of girls are dieting in the US  

TRUE - Between 40% and 60% of high school girls in the United States diet to lose weight

Ref: Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry - www.jaacap.com/pt/re/jaacap/ fulltext.00004583-199804000-00011.htm

other ref:

The National Eating Disorder Association (NEDA) in america  estimates that 40 to 60 percent of high school girls are on diets and that more than 5 million girls and women struggle with anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating, or borderline conditions.

Sixty percent (60%) of high school girls attempt to lose weight while only 34% consider themselves overweight. In attempts to lose weight, 49% of girls diet, 8% use laxatives or vomit, and 9% use diet pills - Kann, L., Warren, C.W., Harris, W.A., Collins, J.L., Williams, B.I., Ross, J.G., and Kolbe, L.J. Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance United States, 1995. Centers for Disease Control Surveillance Summaries. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 45:SS-4, 1996

Did a google search for this :-/.

Mutation of the Methytetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) allele is associated with adolescent onset depression  

This looks like FALSE :-/. I have been unable to find any refernce linking it to adolescent onset depression except - In a subgroup of recurrent depressives, current age and age at onset of depressive illness were positively correlated with folate (Levitt AJ, Joffe RT.

Folate, B12, and life course of depressive illness) - so I am not sure if this makes it an association.

MTHFR is never the less linked to Depression and all the studies I have seen were in adults. Also linked with other psychiatric problems like autism, schizophrenia.

It's also liked to a number of other physical disorders - Neural Tube Defects and Birth Defects, Cardiovascular Diseases (low levels increase risk of atherothrombotic disease) , Breast Cancer (preventive role), Colon Cancer (protective role), Cognitive Function, Alzheimer's Disease, Hearing loss.

This is still open to more discussion.  ::)

Anyone know the answer to this one

1. Heritability of Conduct disorder is 0.1-0.2

Some guys have said T, some have said it's 0.4 -0.6. Which is it?

2. Juvenile deliquency in girls is more predictive of future mental health problems than in boys?

Cheers

3. A child comfortably playing with a stranger in the absence of mother is indicative of insecure attachment behaviour in the Ainsworth strange situation test?

Seen some people T, some F - think it's T myself.

3. A child comfortably playing with a stranger in the absence of mother is indicative of insecure attachment behaviour in the Ainsworth strange situation test?

Seen some people T, some F - think it's T myself.

I would have thought this is false as the experiment is about attachment to the carer and separation anxiety. I do not think how the child is in the absence of the mother/carer influences the findings.

Whoops, pressed wrong button, I think the Strange situation answer is FALSE too!

Reason: experiment is really about baby's relationship/reaction to mother.

1. Heritability of Conduct disorder is 0.1-0.2

TRUE

(I think tht's Mancherters take on it)

3 more:

1.Genes are as important as relationships are determining adjustment in children.

2.Concrete operational thinking is protective against depression in children.

3.A 15 month old baby who refuses to open their arms to their primary caregiver when she comes back is a sign of insecure attachment.

2.Concrete operational thinking is protective against depression in children.

TRUE

I think this is why depression then starts to become apparent as they move on in their cognitive devpt

6 more:

1.If a healthy couple have a baby with phenylketonuria, the chances of the next baby having the same condition are less than 1%

2.If child sexual abuse is suspected it is necessary to have a disclosure interview with anatomically correct dolls

3.Down's syndrome has increased risk of leukaemia

4.Autistic children usually have normal babbling in the first year of life

5.Recurrent bronchitis common in down's

6.Speech expression is diminished in downs

3.A 15 month old baby who refuses to open their arms to their primary caregiver when she comes back is a sign of insecure attachment.

this is FALSE.

its 'anxious avoidant' attachment isnt it?

2.If child sexual abuse is suspected it is necessary to have a disclosure interview with anatomically correct dolls

TRUE.

3.Down's syndrome has increased risk of leukaemia

TRUE

ref: companion to psych studies pg 606.

Autistic children usually have normal babbling in the first year of life

??TRUE

most books say that autism gets diagnosed at around 18 months. and only rarely parents notice any problems before that. even then the child has already begun babbling but stops suddenly in the middle or becomes unusually aggressive.

i dont know if anyone else has any other ideas

5.Recurrent bronchitis common in down's

i think this is FALSE.

everywhere i've looked it says the risk of infections is increased in downs, and the leading cause of death is pneumonia (companion)....but there is no mention of recurrent bronchitis. is it more common than other infections??? or is it just common?

6.Speech expression is diminished in downs

TRUE.

1.Non accidental injury to the child is very rare if the mother has obsessive compulsive disorder

2.Insecure attachment may result in disinhibited behaviour

3.Nocturnal enuresis present in all parts of sleep

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0