• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gurpal

Feedback on the Part 2 ISQ/EMI papers Spring 2006

53 posts in this topic

After the Part II ISQ/EMI papers, please post an account of your experience, good or bad. If you remember any questions, please post them, even if you think you're repeating someone else's post. Thanks and good luck on results day!

The clinical paper was easier compared to basic sciences which I had to guess most of answers.

there were lots of questions on national psychiatric morbidity survey.

i n clinical sciences most of questions were on child and old age psychiatry.

EMI in clinical are from , risk of abuse in elderly, antipsychotics and 2 from child psychiatry .

EMI in basic sciences are from statistics(child hood IQ, height and conduct disorder) and genetics as far as I can recall

1)guided mourning in pathological grief reaction is based on phobic model

2) First child increase in rate of alcoholism.

3) late onset depression in old age has good prognosis compared to early onset depression.

emi 2006

EMI Clinical

Denial

Denigration

Idealisation

Projective Identification

Reaction Formation

Sublimation

Splitting

1 A patient who had taken a large overdose before admission is agitated and is insisting on discharge. The SHO is left feeling extremely anxious and the patient now seems calm.

2 A patient tells of how happy his childhood was and how his mother was ‘brilliant’ until she had to give him up for financial reasons. From his notes we know he was taken into care because of severe neglect and abuse by his mother.

3 A patient has put in a complaint against a member of the team. The team member is confused because last week he told her how great she was. What is she missing?

Genetic Disorders

Lesch Nyan

Prader Willi

Retts Syndrome

Angelman

ADHD

Fragile X

Hunters

1 maternal grandfatehr n maternal uncle suffer from this disorder ..most likely LD IN THE BOY

2 Obsessional eating

3 6 year old girl with sudden deterioration and loss of previous learned behaviour and handwringing

A higher physical dep in pt

B living in instituition

C living with another person

D male carer

E male patient

F poor previous relationship

G carer married to pateitn

H patient has dementia

1 give 2 risk factors for elder abuse ?

2 give 3 risk factors for carer distress

3 give 3 factors associated with INCREASE depression elderly .

A) Chi-square test

B) Anova

C) Fisher test

D) Cluster analysis

E) ANCOVA

F) PAIRED T TEST

G) Multiple regression

H) t test

I )kappa statistic

1. Demonstrate association of height (parametric) and ASPD PRESENCE OR ABSENCE OF THIS DISORDER (choose 3)

2. Relation of conduct disorder and ASPD (choose 2)

3. ASPD vs height and IQ (height and IQ correlated) (choose 2)

1 Conduct disorder has 0.1-0.2 inheritance

2 MDMA ass with physical dependance  

3 Delirium has increased  theta waves in EEG  

4 waxy flexibility occurs in encephalitis

5 angelman's syndrome does not have eeg changes at birth but causes 6 eeg changes by the age of 1 yr.

7 lower social classes are more likely than middle social classes to develop depression following a life event  

8 Theory of mind develops by around age 4 years

9 Intoxication with cocaine can mimic mania

10 Living with a spouse is a risk factor for repeated deliberate self harm

11  20 % of homicides are committed by people with mental illness

12 Sexual offending in LD is more often due to hypersexuality

13 Offenders with LD respond better to individual than group therapy 14 Old people with dementia are at significant risk of non-accidental injury by their carer

15 There are specific histological changes to the brain in alcohol

16 pyridoxine deficiency can cause progressive memory loss

17 Alzheimer’s disease can be caused by HIV infection

18 According to the WHO, dangerousness is inclded in the term impairment.

19 People with chronic fatigue syndrome have more psychopathology than those suffering with myotonic dystrophy impairment

20 Behaviour problems are seen in 10 % of severe LD patients

made me laugh... thanks... beats revision.. and probably interms of exam practice... as goo as any.

then exam should come with a WARNING:

'Be aware... Imagination is BETTER than knowledge'

Regards, the college

:lol: :lol: :lol:.... what to do with my time now.... :lol: :lol: :lol:... go back to work...ohoh :lol: :lol: :lol:

;) ;)

i'm really bad at remembering isqs... thanks for the efforts so far... great... eureka, .... help out with the emi with the bouquet cells (I thught well I so like me roses... fook!!

options:

Astrocytes

oligodendrocytes

'double bouquet cells' ;)

scwann cells

bering cells

TWO involved in repairing sheaths of axons (not at all those words)

TWO that have NMDA receptors... or that use glutamate as their tranitter)

One.....

Please help to pull it together

other questions

1. LSD causes pupillary constriction

2. in sexual dysfunction therapy solitary masturbation is striclty banned ::)

3. when u concerse sideways, there are less non verbal cues than concersing face to face (is this a trick q :lol:)

4. THEY@RE into RODENTS.....

blahblah.. cant remember no more now... going to work!!! and off the forum for a while... to chill 8-)

i think the basic sciences ISQs were a straightforward aptitude test.

i just approached it as an IQ test...em,em-did anyone in the forum ACTUALLY study all those ethology/anthropology stuff and rodents' business??

clinicals sciences paper:

i think it's unfair to load the paper with so much subspecialties Qs.

gen. psych must have constituted <10% of the total Qs!!

the bulk were LD/old age/child.

Well, well, well. A truly unpleasant experience costing £100 per hour. There has to be a better may of spending money.

Basic sciences was a nightmare. Recognised maybe 10 ISQs. Loads of questions on stupid surveys - I thought they were at the bottom of the pile in terms of reseacrh? Questions on rats and cocaine. I think the exam was best suited to vets, psychologists, comedians and social commentators! The EMQs...I won't bother.

In fairness, I thought the clinical paper was quite straightforward with quite a few (maybe 40 or so) repeats from this forum, The EMQs were a lot easier.

Thanks to all who helped out on the forum.

critical review....they gave a graph for correlation coefficient?!!? i'd barely managed to get the definition right before i went in!!!! (and they didnt ask for a definition...damn!) does anyone know what the graph is called in QA???

i said scatter plot.....but thats about it. didnt know how they got the midline or whatever. are there other people out there who had similar probs or is it just me???

after i gave up trying to guess the answers, i thought atleast let me try and remember the questions to post them here.....but some of them are difficult to remember even as sentences!!?!!

my shot

epileptic seizures are associated with bulimia nervosa

if a male rat is made to display submissive behavour there is increased activity in nucleus accumbens.....(i think i got that 'sentence' right)

the one about rats injecting cocaine was the best...cant remember it though

genetic counselling for APO E has helped in Alzheimers.....or something like that

there are more lurking around in the back of my mind.......will post them as i get them

i thought that it was a scatter plot and at that point i went back to question a1 to write that it was a correlational study!

Well, well, well. A truly unpleasant experience costing £100 per hour. There has to be a better may of spending money.

The £100 has taught me a very valueable lesson...Next time i will be revising one week max. for the exam... I mean whats the point. There is so much guess work!

A quick 20 questions before my dinner to start jogging memories.

1. 49/50 is the cut off point in ICD-10 for mild and moderately severe LD.

2. Splicing of mRNA involves removing the exons.

3. Patients who ruminate over their obsessions without having any compulsions respond poorly to behavioural interventions.

4. People give up smoking more for the perceived health benefits than confidence in their ability to give up.

5. Risk taking behaviour is reduced mainly due to the severity of the outcome rather than perceived susceptibility.

6. Even after correcting for IQ, deaf people show a delay in understanding abstract language.

7. Pyridoxine deficiency causes progressive cognitive impairment.

8. Sexual offending in LD is most often due to hyper sexuality.

9. 20% of homicides are committed by people with a mental illness.

10. Most mothers who kill their children have a mental illness.

11. The association between depression and mental illness is mainly due to pre-operative morbidity.

12. &nbsp:lol:epressive episodes increase in duration with increasing age.

13. If a trial comparing two antidepressants finds no significant difference in outcome between the two, it could be due to the trial size being based on the difference in effect between one antidepressant and placebo.

14. Tourettes in adolescence and early adult adulthood rarely resolves completely.

15. Haloperidol is indicated in tourettes in teenagers.

16. Central alpha agonists are indicated in tourettes with comorbid ADHD.

17. Zopiclone decreases slow wave sleep.

18. Tricyclics decrease REM latency.

19. Older patients with depression are more likey to sleep less than younger patients with depression.

20 . Testosterone is the single biggest predictor of aggressive behaviour in teenage males.

::)

21. EEG in Huntingtons shows increased fast wave activity.

22. EEG in Delerium shows an increase in theta waves.

23. Relaxation therapy causes an increase in alpha waves on EEG.

24. Babies deprived of face to face contact during the first 6 months go on to develop autism.

25. Apo E allele testing is useful for counselling families with a hx of dementia.

26. Psychotic symptoms are a documented side effect of L-dopa.

27. Alcohol intoxication increases plasma endorphins.

28. Cocaine enhances the release of 5-HT.

29. Social power in the family is based on reward rather than coercion.

30. SSRI’s have been proven to increase suicidal behaviour in teenagers.

31. Behavioural problems are present in 20% of patients with severe LD.

32. A groups productivity deteriorates when an autocratic leader leaves.

33. The concentration of non-NMDA receptors in the hippocampus are reduced in schizophrenia.

34. In homonymous hemianopia it is sometimes possible for patients to point to objects in their blind field.

35. In ICD-10, a teenage male attracted to 14-16 yr old girls is excluded from the criteria for paedophilia.

36. Heterosexual paedophiles are more recidivistic than homosexual ones.

37. LD sex offenders are better treated individually than in groups.

38. Enantomers are usually metabolised at the same rate.

39. sadistic sex offenders do better being treated in groups rather than individually.

40. Lithium is a form of secondary prevention.

41. Heroin during pregnancy is associated with a higher incidence of cleft palatte.

42. Phenytoin during pregnancy can lead to low birth weight.

43. Epistasis is when the environment affects the expression of genes.

44. The IV administration of tryptophan leads to a less pronounced prolactin release in depression.

45. T4 level is raised in Anorexia Nervosa.

46. Bulimea Nervosa leads to an increased risk of epileptic seizures.

47. Bulaemia Nervosa is associated with an increased risk of colon Ca.

48. You are more likely to obey a figure in authority because of their personality rather than their status.

49. Intrusive thoughts immediately after trauma can help predict the occurrence of PTSD 6 months later.

50. Extinction occurs as part of stimulus generalization.

51. &nbsp:lol:iabetes Mellitus is the biggest cause of Argyll Robertson pupils.

52. The prevalence of depression in MS is 20%.

53. Anosognosia is more likely to occur with right limb hemi-paresis rather than left.

54. Recognition of facial expression occurs in the fusiform gyrus.

55. The globus pallidus is part of the limbic system.

56. The planum temporale is the primary auditory cortex.

57. The difference between PrP and Scrape PrP is a disulphide bond.

58. Life expectancy is the number of years that an individual has to live.

59. If the proportion of p is much greater than 1-p in a binominal distribution, then it is symmetrical.

60. Fishers exact test can’t be used for small numbers.

61. In regression, if y=A+Bx then B must be between –1 and 1.

62. As the sample size increases, so will the variance.

63. Regulation of conversations via social cues is impaired in side on conversations.

64. In psychodynamic theory, a negative therapeutic reaction is when there is a deterioration in mental health after a period of good progress in therapy.

65. In brief dynamic psychotherapy, comments about transference should be avoided.

66. Temporal lobe tumours are associated with incontinence.

67. First episodes of psychosis don’t respond well to neuroleptic medication if there is a recent history of heavy alcohol consumption.

68. Violent outbursts in a newly admitted excited patient is more likely to be due to schizophrenia than mania.

69. In London, your chance of having a psychotic episode is greater in African immigrants compared with Afro-Caribbean immigrants.

70. There is a 2.7 relative risk increase for psychosis in all first generation immigrants.

71. The recency affect is retained in organic amnesia.

72. There is an increase in emotional sensitivity in Kretschner’s Beziehungswahn (sensitiver) reaction.

73. Narcopelsy is characteristically associated with loss of muscle tone secondary to emotional excitement.

74. Penile plesmography can distinguish between paedophiles and non-paedophiles.

75. Caffeine consumption can be accurately calculated by counting the daily intake of cups of tea and coffee.

76. Fluoxetine increases clozapine levels.

77. In psychodynamic theory, interpretations should usually be made tentatively.

78. Aripiprazole is a partial D2 agonist.

79. No children have tried to commit suicide with atomoxepine during clinical trials.

80. Performance in the Wisconsen Card sorting test is impaired in orbito-frontal lesions.

81. The cognitive estimates test assesses the ability to shift sets.

82. Children with conduct disorder have greater difficulty recognising fear in the facial expressions of others.

83. Children with conduct disorder have greater difficulty recognising anger in the facial expressions of others.

84. The CCG gene inhibits the unstable site on the Fragile X chromosome.

85. Somatization is a common component of mono delusional disorders in the elderly.

86. In group therapy, the group usually gets round to talking about a mutual external threat while avoiding the real issues.

87. People with low levels of alcohol dehydrogenase are at increased risk of alcohol dependence.

88. 5-HT4 agonists have been shown to have some effect on the symptoms of constipation in IBD.

89. The diagnostic criteria for LD (DC-LD) were created for use in LD in children.

90. The Halstead Reiton Battery can be used to help identify problem drinking in medical inpatients.

91. Plasma viscosity measurements can be used to identify problem drinking in medical inpatients.

92. One of the questions in the CAGE screen is “do you crave alcohol”.

93. LSD intoxication can lead to a transient psychotic state with paranoid delusions and auditory hallucinations.

94. LSD intoxication causes papillary constriction.

95. LSD intoxication can cause severe anxiety.

96. Heroin can cause a schizophreniform psychosis.

97. Heroin use can cause an increase in libido in women.

98. Alpha adreno blockers can cause ejaculatory failure.

99. NMDA is blocked by ionic magnesium.

100. MDMA causes physical addiction.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0