• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
markone_8

Different people had different EMIs Spring 06

67 posts in this topic

Having spoken to a friend who sat the exam in Birmingham, she had at least one different EMI to me. I sat it in London.

My friend had one about defence mechanisms. I didn't.

I had one about hypokalaemia, hyponatraemia etc. She didn't.

Also, I had an EMI about an old lady with visual hallucinations seeing blood dripping down the wall. There's another posting on here somewhere where that person didn't get that EMI.

Bit odd eh?

Hi Elton Road,

Sounds strange , I had EMI on defense mechanisms and I sat my exam in london.

I did nt had any EMI on hypokalemia or old lady seeing blood.

where in London did you sat your exam ? I appeared in City Temple hall centre, Farringdon.

Could you please post your EMI s if you can recall?

I sat it in City Temple as well (Holborn Viaduct), same venue as you I think. The EMI was something like:

A hypokalaemia

B hyperkalaemia

C hypocalcaemia

D hypercalcaemia

E hyponatraemia

F hypernatraemia

G hypoglycaemia

H hyperglycaemia

Pick one that explains the following phenomena:

1) A man on fluoxetine who develops muscle cramps and lethargy.

2) A man with a history of alcohol abuse who develops confusion and disturbed mental state.

Can't remember the third.

It was one of the few questions I was completely sure about. This question also came up when I sat the exam in Autumn 2005.

No EMIs about defence mechanisms in my exam.

arent we all supposed to be tested uniformly? (i know it doesnt matter much....cos we dont know the answers anyway :-/ )

but if the exam has to be fair....can the college set different papers to candidates without informing them beforehand?!?!

my poor friend had hypokalaemia and blood on wall emi's....came out a bit early and started discussing the emi's with friends. when she heard questions she hadnt come across...she panicked thinking she'd missed out answering some.she went back and insisted the examiner check her answer sheet just to see if she's answered all. obvously she had. but for the whole evening she was stressed about it, wondering why she had had a different paper!

its unfair when you think about it. we cant cope with trying to remember all the questions on one set....if they start giving out more than one..... :o

hi,

I cant hide my anger and frustration after reading about your friends experience and the stress.In the exam hall I took the exam they were so confused about distributing the papers! First I had (and many others) two EMI papers instead of ISQ. Then when we started screaming they changed it and gave clinical ISQ paper and the time was running out then they gave the real one.But soon I realised that I didnt loose any time bcos I had enough time to think about my return journey etc.But can they give different EMI????????

i am shocked to hear about teh above its unimaginable.... getting a different paper.

I think royal college should be sued for this.Now ia m wondering what if i had a few different questions ...the computer wont know that my question paper has a different set of questions...

our whole exam i think should be scrapped....

probably we should all start calling mrcpsych II coordinator grant fisher or david flower and asking them how could this happen....

eureka,

I meant different answer paper not the question paper and we were only few minutes late to start.hope you got it right.

kelu

i was more concerned about what elton has posted.

thanks eureka,

even I was and I still am really worried about it!!!!!!!!!!

Ehr... that's weird.. never happened before.

Perhaps they used different Q but the answers are the same, otherwise the computer WILL make mistakes , totally sure.

Not good, not good.

Thank god I logged in today because I thought that I had a delusional disorder. no one had seen the EMIs i had and they eyed me strangely :'(. I moved home in the last two days and do not have access at my new house yet. this is a great relief :D

Am I the only one in thinking that Royal College Might be experimenting withus without our knowledge , by giving different question papers , or have they already decided whom to pass?

Hi everyone, I share all your feels about the whole issue. I sat the exam at city hall in london and I didn't get EMI's with defence mechanism. So when I was discussing with some friends afterwards I was in a bit of a panic to hear people talking about things I had not seen.

It's reassuring that I wasn't the only one who felt that way, but very scary what this could all mean, surely it's illegal for the college to give everyone different questions without tell us. How is the computer going to mark them. The answer scripts surely did not have a particular identifying mark. Which could only mean that someone or some people in the college is/are going to have to sieve through them all to identify like for like ones....... :(thus leaving room for the possibility of human error and God knows what!

I think it's disgraceful that different people have got different questions. I don't remember anything on hypokalaemia - I could porbably answer something on that!

I do hope that the computer distinguishes it! Well if it doesn't, it's hardly going to make a difference to my mark. Two times zero is still zero!!! >:(

Initially I thought people are joking,but it seems serious .this is not legal and seems it is human errors. No way college can put different questions  

Is any body contacted the college ,i am not sure whether clinical tutors should be involved to find out with the college what happened

extremly strange

i think we should start by calling BMA and MRCPsych II coordinator D Flowers.

This is ridiculous ..giving us different papers.I hope we all got the same essays!! I think royal college is messing with us and we oughta oppose it.This is not at all fair...

do u think they will scrap the exam n we will have to resit?

resit??? nooooooo pls!

enough of the stress of huge paperwork for the written exam.

while we all are justified to feel utterly mortified by this experiment,may i mention that the college is under no legal obligation to warn us ahead of what the CONTENT, rather than the format, of the papers wld be.

many other examining bodies have successfully adopted this strategy to discourage cheating or 'networking' in the exam.

meanwhile, good luck wit the phone calls.

i have informed my consultant who is a college tutor and part two examiner.. apparently the essays will be marked next week for which he is going to london..hopefully he will raise the issue there...after all he was pretty amazed himself when i told him what had happened.. fingers crossed eh?? aint no way i could handle a resit

i dont think royal college has that kind of money to make us resit the exam...nor do i want to ...

I do not think the college will resit the exam , but they might remove the EMIs for all candidates and mark the exam for ISQs only . I think they will be in a huge mess because of massive legal issues.

Hi every one.Looking back I do not think that was an error, I think it was meant that way by the college. :-/

As my tutor said to check the validity of the exam!!!!! (I was thinking what validity this could be, but does he has a clue!)

i really doubt if this is the way the whole thing was supposed to happen...i think there was some confusion and some people ended up getting the last years question paper.

anything is possible with our royal college!!

what do u say carlo n shamrock?

I wasnt intending make any contributions to the forum since the exam can someone explain what has happened i take it one centre got one different emi than the rest of us?

Is this the problem? Not a uniform standardised exam so

For ALL we know we might have had a mixture of Isqs for years distributed to diff candidates since our numbers are on both are papers and answers books and it doesnt take too much effort to program, a computer to mark a script.

afterall we cant all recall 165 isqs each

some of the emis repeated from last exam i still couldnt do them

however some also appeared on this forum that werent on the exam but were obviously leaked from some revision course somewhere else so some folk might have issues with that in itself.. buy yourself an EMI

i suggest a letter to the PMEB folks

this forum is a USELESS way of venting frustation it has no merit or function except to vent anger among ourselves.

The PMEB oversees postgrad training since sept 2005 and they are ultimately responsible to investigate these matters and this should be

instigated now before any results come out not afterwards

so guys what are we going to do? while your at at ask the PMEB about the policy of rewriting exams already passed if your in that situation and what they plan to do about that as well.

The more who write the better.

Do it dont wait for others to do it

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0