Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest khuram

Any suggestions(EEG)

17 posts in this topic

1.The all-night electroencephalogram (EEG) sleep recording of a healthy 30 year old male shows that delta waves are frequent in stage II sleep.

2.The all-night electroencephalogram (EEG) sleep recording of a healthy 30 year old male shows periods of rapid eye movement (REM) which become longer as the night progresses.

3.The all-night electroencephalogram (EEG) sleep recording of a healthy 30 year old male shows a rapid eye movement (REM) sleep duration of approximately 25% of the total night's sleep.

4.The all-night electroencephalogram (EEG) sleep recording of a healthy 30 year old male shows that the majority of slow wave sleep occurs in the second half of the night.

5.The all-night electroencephalogram (EEG) sleep recording of a healthy 30 year old male shows sleep spindles at 12-14 Hz.

Bloody hate EEGs. I mean, they only show slow waves in most of our patients and it's more likely than not due to low IQ - hope that doesn't sound too scathing...anywho, enough ranting.

1.The all-night electroencephalogram (EEG) sleep recording of a healthy 30 year old male shows that delta waves are frequent in stage II sleep.

A. delta is mainly stage 3 and 4 - deep sleep, so FALSE, but not too sure.

2.The all-night electroencephalogram (EEG) sleep recording of a healthy 30 year old male shows periods of rapid eye movement (REM) which become longer as the night progresses.

A. REM sleep increases as night goes on. TRUE

3.The all-night electroencephalogram (EEG) sleep recording of a healthy 30 year old male shows a rapid eye movement (REM) sleep duration of approximately 25% of the total night's sleep.

A. Newborns have 50% REM. This drops to 25% from age 5 till old age, so TRUE.

4.The all-night electroencephalogram (EEG) sleep recording of a healthy 30 year old male shows that the majority of slow wave sleep occurs in the second half of the night.

A. Slow wave - I think means NREM - not sure, so occurs in1st half, so FALSE.

5.The all-night electroencephalogram (EEG) sleep recording of a healthy 30 year old male shows sleep spindles at 12-14 Hz.

A. Spindles occure in stage 2. 13-15 Hz, TRUE.

Refs- TRICKCYCLISTS NOTES

false. the Delta waves occur at stage iii and iv or late on deep sleep

true

true.

Benzo's produce slowing of alpha waves on EEG with chronic use

An inter-ictal EEG in automatisms is of limited value

An inter-ictal EEG in automatisms is of limited value TRUE (discussed with 'experts' but no ref....) :P

FALSE = i think this is increase of alpha according to my handwritten ntes (i dont tend to make things up... ::)

FALSE = i think this is increase of alpha according to my handwritten ntes (i dont tend to make things up... ::)

TRUE

core pscyh 1ed:box30.4,pgg538

yet again ;)... not always infalible :P

Can u explain wot it means though, slowing of alpha waves... is it that the waves themselves are slower... or a general slowing down of the eeg trace???

I know it prob sounds daft... but may help to understand :-/

alpha waves usually 8 - 13hz right??so lower end of normal alphas, or generally alpha eeg..... :P

benzos increase beta waves and reduce alpha waves ::)

( i have an eeg machine at home)

Benzodiazepines and Barbiturates increase Beta waves and decreased alpha waves 'sometimes'.

Puri and hall, page 223

benzos increase beta waves and reduce alpha waves ::)

( i have an eeg machine at home)

I don't think it is of any use for sleep now a days,because there isn't one :lol:

Bloody hate EEGs. I mean, they only show slow waves in most of our patients and it's more likely than not due to low IQ - hope that doesn't sound too scathing...anywho, enough ranting.

A. delta is mainly stage 3 and 4 - deep sleep, so FALSE, but not too sure.

A. REM sleep increases as night goes on. TRUE

A. Newborns have 50% REM. This drops to 25% from age 5 till old age, so TRUE.

A. Slow wave - I think means NREM - not sure, so occurs in1st half, so FALSE.

A. Spindles occure in stage 2. 13-15 Hz, TRUE.

Refs-  TRICKCYCLISTS NOTES

I agree see Mhali 135/136 ::)

1. Delta waves appear in deep sleep i.e. in stage 3 and 4 only and not in 2 as 2 is predominantly sleep spindles(kappa)and theta waves.

2. Rem increases as the night progresses.

3. Rem is approximately 25% of adult sleep time till old age when REM sleep dominates.

4. Slow wave sleep is stage 3 and 4 which occurs in NREM, so the answer is false.

5. 12-14 hertz is beta waves (wide awake or REM) and sleep spindles do not occur with beta waves but with theta which are of frequency 4-8 hertz. FALSE.

Bipin Ravindran

Ipswich

1)FAlSE

Stage II is the predominant sleep stage during a normal night's sleep. The distinct and principal EEG criterion to establish stage II sleep is the appearance of sleep spindles or K complexes. The presence of sleep spindles is necessary and sufficient to define stage II sleep. Another characteristic finding of stage II sleep is the appearance of K complexes, but since K complexes typically are associated with a spindle, spindles are the defining features of stage II sleep. Except for slow rolling eye movements, all patterns described under stage I persist in stage II sleep

http://www.emedicine.com/neuro/topic675.htm

2) TRUE

The five stages of sleep, including their repetition, occur cyclically. The first cycle, which ends after the completion of the first REM stage, usually lasts for 100 minutes. Each subsequent cycle lasts longer, as its respective REM stage extends. So a person may complete five cycles in a typical nights sleep.

http://www.sleepdisorderchannel.net/stages/

3. Rem is approximately 25% of adult sleep time.

well, in a typical 100m sleep cycle, stages go 1,2,3,4,3,2, REM, backto stage 1 and REM latency is about 90 minutes so REM sleep equates to 10 minutes. which is 10% initially and as the night goes on it increases so i am not sure about the answer! but i guess it should be roughly 20 to 25% so the answer should be TRUE

4)FALSE

REM increases throught the night before falling again so nREM goes down as the night goes on!

TRUE (Ref posted above!)

if the answers are wrong, please feel free to criticise

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0