• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slartibartfast

Revision tips

24 posts in this topic

Hi..

I was wondering what advice people out there might have for people studying the mcq's/emi's.

The people I've asked have given me answers/'tips' ranging from.. its not worth studying... its a guessing game, best of luck, you'll be in a similar position if you study or not, you wont even be able to find the answers on google, doing past papers is no use as there are hardly any repeats...

Kinda disheartening and not really helpful as you can see...

I would be very grateful for anyone with some constructive advice so I can structure my studies and get this not so lil obstacle out of the way...

ps.. what proportion of questions would be repeats from previous papers..  

hi...im giving the part 2 for the first time. from what i've heard, only a very small percentage of questions get repeated. but most people who've passed have only done past questions to revise for isq's. :-/

i am trying to read from textbooks/revision notes/apt for essay preparation. that should hopefully help in some way and doing past questions is the only other additional preparation....if nothing else it does add to our knowledge.... ::)

hope that helps.... :)

For the ISQs - I'm just doing superego/manchester questions. I dunno about repeats, but knowing the answers to ANY of them surely is a bonus. Besides there are only so many questions that they can ask. Luck is a facotr, but you make your own luck.

I'm quite worried about EMIs, but that's another story!

hey..can someone please do me favour and clarify what the marking scheme is for each component of the written..ie how many marks need to be gotten out of what total...my anxiety levels are really pretty high at the mo and im trying to grasp any at anything that might make me feel less anxious..??!!

dear blob

the pass mark for essay is 8

critical review is peer referenced the pass mark may vary.if you get less than 8 then you need to get a score of 8 in mcqs this was told to me by a senior member of my rotation.

>:(was all a bit diffo last time, some folk got thru the writtens with a fail in the essay ie a score of 6..

so i guess the college bend the rules when it suits

its seems the morning is the important part of the day,

the afternoon is a free for all.

..................................................at least it can be amusingly ridiculous :'(

the retention of your humour in face of such adversity is most refreshing to see..nice one

Hi,

I'm planning to take my Part 2 in autumn 2006 and i havent started my preparation yet. Do youreckon that the portions could be covered before the exams.

Any tips about howto go about it.

Also would appreciate if you could suggestme what books to befollowed for child, forensic, LD, old age.

Thanks in advance :o

no matter what others say, i'd still advise to go for past questions and manchester notes. best to check the reliabilty of answers yourself, esp some controversial ones as argued on this forum.

for child, goodman & scott, definitely. for the rest in your list, grab college seminar series. bird & harrison's exam notes in psychiatry is good too.

Hi kitkat..

If you are taking the exams in autumn it will be a good idea to start spending a couple of hours a day reading.

For CA:

Read Ajetunmobi/Lawrie Mcintosh/Manchester notes/Mock exams from Critical reviews in Psychiatry-Gaskell

For Essay:Read past 12 mo review articles/debate from BMJ/BJPsych/Bulletin/APT (I used to prepare 1 page notes of the articles that I read and I found it helpful to go through them a few days before the exam) as well as prepare essay plans and share ideas in your study group.Attempt to write atleast a couple of essays in the stipulated time and get it marked by one of the SpR's.

For ISQ/EMI: Manchester notes/superego forum..a mmust but try and do past papers as much as you can..

It might sound too much to do,but once you get going things will be fine and you will find yourself 'enjoy' doing it..All the Best

Oops ..I forgot..I did not read any books in particular for child/LD/forensic/old age ..but used the Seminar series just for reference for these sub-specialities.

ajetunmobi,yellow book,manchester notes and superegocafe are [highlight]ALL[/highlight] u need for the written part....i think the clinicals are the real deal in the part2 exam. 8-)

thanks laluanto and omc for ur suugestions. gives some hope 8-)

Hi KitKat

You are not a salmon

i am sitting my part II for the first time as well. I don't have the same enthusiasm for the part II as I did for part I. I think it is because it is Summer. I hate studying in the summer.

Just remember you are not alone !

8-)

can someone advice me about the courses for part 2 please?

i heard about manchester course for MCQ/EMQ & edinburgh course for critical appraisal. any suggestions?

thanks

hi it would be really great to know which courses WE need to go to ? :-X

I m attempting part 2 , 1st time too. Had a look on manchester notes, looks condensed n good stuff.

little confused over wich course to do, manchester or superego, for written.

any suggestions guys?

Hai

I would recommend Manchester course and nothing else.I have attended others including superego.

Critical review :Either Edinburugh or Bristol

cheers

I went to Manchester for part 1 but for part 2 I'm going to Superego Cafe. There's more to this exam than isqs and emis which are on this site anyway. I've heard great things about the critical appraisal teaching.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0