Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest supernaut

Best books to read

6 posts in this topic

Hi I'm planning to start revising for the Autumn session now. I want to start off reading some good text books that are a little insprining - can't be asked going through boring photocopies. Of course I'll try to read around questions and key topics. I need a good book(s) for basic sciences. I have essential notes (small book with green tick) - boring as hell.

I also need a good book for critical appraisal. Suggestions puhleeze!

for critical apprisal:

making sense of critical appraisal

manchester notes

college yellow book.

the above three are more than enough to get a safe pass.

For critical appraisal -

Making sense of critical appraisal - Ajetunmobi.

College yellow book.

Having said that the Spring 06 paper was really hard!

For essys -

Yes, you can read the last 18 months worth of journals, but having a rounded general knowledge on broad topics and the ability to argue and produce a balanced essay is far more productive.

For mcq's

Vogue, nuts, cosmo...You cant' really prepare for it, apart from doing manchester/superego mcqs!!

Hello,

i have just passed part 1, and I intend to relax for a while. But, in order not to feel guilty I want to start collecting books for part II, so which are the best or where should I look for them if they have already been. posted.

I would also like to start going to some courses, which one would suit smbd who starts preparing for part II?

Regards,

Olimpia

Hi

I am also planning to start revising soon, which books are best for the writtend paper????

I quite like Core Psychiatry by Padraig Wright, along with Puri and Hall's Revision Notes in Psychiatry.

Essential Psychopharmacology by Steven Stahl is alright too, but american based. It has amusing little cartoon pictures through it, drawn by the equally amusingly named Nancy Munter. :)

The oxymoronically named Making Sense of Critial Appraisal by Ajetunmobi mentioned by others is a nice concise guide to the subject without some of the extraneous stuff found in other books on Critical Appraisal.

For the CAMH I'd recommend Child Psychiatry by Goodman and Scott.

Perhaps the best approach is to browse your local library and have a look though the styles of the textbooks. Some people prefer lots of pictures and tables, others can tolerate huge blocks of text, find one that suits you. Check Amazon, some of them you can browse the inside and read sample chapters before buying.

Good luck!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0