Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gurpal

Feedback on the Part 2 ISQ/EMI papers autumn 2006

56 posts in this topic

u have some powers of memory for sure, but what did u actually think of the exam? would u be of a similar view to me in thinking the mcq's are obscure,far too difficult and quite irrelevant, and therefore difficult or almost impossible to study for? i'm sure you worked damn hard for this exam but came out frustrated with the mcq's and feel that it's almost pot luck whether you passed or not. I know I feel that way.

why can't it just be a test of knowledge? maybe the question setters in their innocence/ignorence think it is a fair test, especially as they never hear(or seek) the candidates' views.

c'mon guys,let me hear ur views!!

Just a few more I remembered today:

- Psychosis secondary to Temporal Lobe Epilepsy usually recedes without antipsychotic treatment.

- An individual will be more tired after 24 hours without sleep than three minutes after waking up.

- Treatment with Disulfiram is based on negative reinforcement

- A negative reinforcer is one that, when taken away, increases a particular behaviour

- Continuous reinforcement is more prone to extinction than variable reinforcement

- People are more likely to accept an individual who is tall

- Anosmia is characteristic of right frontal lesion

- When an autocratic leader is absent, the group becomes chaotic

- In Broca's aphasia the individual speaks with short sentences

- Encopresis is more likely on a child whose parents are very strict and demanding

- Hamilton Scale for Depression is more sensitive in old age depression than the Geriatric Depression Scale

- Children who haven't managed to create an attachment during the early years, can do so if adopted by a caring family

- Schizophrenia with marked cognitive decline is called Pfropfschizophrenie

- In children, dysthymia has a worse prognosis than major depression

- When depersonalization appears suddenly, it is usually accompanied by derealization.

- Encephalitis is associated with waxy flexibility

would u be of a similar view to me in thinking the mcq's are obscure,far too difficult and quite irrelevant, and therefore difficult or almost impossible to study for?
Certainly the basic sciences paper. I came across names of syndromes and tests that were totally new to me. And concepts I knew nothing about (that's when I actually understood what they were asking in the first instance!).

I wasn't frustrated though, because I'd already heard that this particular paper was very difficult, with lots of obscure questions. I only hoped I could answer some of them without having to guess every single one.

And I'm not saying I agree with the exam. Instead of sitting this paper we might as well have been asked to run a mile and record the time taken (and before you ask, no, I'm not a runner - at all!)

Oreta......yeah the exam was shocker and as u said we better ran a mile or 2. oh man East African runners will break the records...especially that tiny great ethiopian..gebresilasse:)

As for me...i wished it was London marthon than Part II exam:)

MY VIEWS:

crit appraisal. what a pile of crap.

not even sure what the purpose of this exam is anymore.

essay paper reasonable

basic sciences always a hoot, emi's difficult enough

clinical mcqs tricky too in parts

this exam is getting more and more a farce.

Its a screening tool for the clinicals basically it doesnt really examine knowledge at the end of the day,. .. some folk can pass it with guess work and thats not how an exam should be really,.

Not my ist time

i am really bored with the college,bored writing essays, bored with critical reviews, bored re writing exams  bored with clinical long cases and boring examiners, bored with boring patients with boring histories, bored with it all generally,

do i really care if speakers look at listeners more than listeners look at speakers?

heres one thing for sure.. NOBODY IN THE COLLEGE OF PSYCHIATRISTS IS LISTENING TO ANYBODY.

does anybody know how much we have to score in the critical appriasal paper?

ortega uve got a fantatic memory.IQ 200 .

anyway the geriatic depression was that a low penetrance gene caused elderly depression. 8-)

ortega just a few correction

i think the q on anosmia was not rt frontal but rt hemisphere damage

and the TLE one was psychosis MAY improve without antipsychotic treatment

ortega your contribution will be useful for me as i will be resitting next time

ortega just a few correction
Guess it's me you're referring to... Have I been converted onto Ortega y Gasset perhaps?  ;)

Thank you for your corrections. I know not all my questions are as written in the exam. Please feel free to change them as you remember them...

And don't give up just yet... somebody has to pass the exam!! :-/

the score in critical appraisal paper can vary from each exam session

but usually the highest score is 20/20

and that is awarded to the candidate who gets the highest % in the exam which is usually about 58%

everyone else is peer referenced to this mark

so a score of 28% might be a 8

and score of 24% might be a 6

etc

maybe lower

maybe higher

just depends

judging on the paper

a score of 10% might be a 12 lol

8-)

MY VIEWS:

crit appraisal. what a pile of crap.

not even sure what the purpose of this exam is anymore.

essay paper reasonable

basic sciences always a hoot, emi's difficult enough

clinical mcqs tricky too in parts

this exam is getting more and more a farce.

Its a screening tool for the clinicals basically it doesnt really examine knowledge at the end of the day,. .. some folk can pass it with guess work and thats not how an exam should be really,.

Not my ist time

i am really bored with the college,bored writing essays, bored with critical reviews, bored re writing exams  bored with clinical long cases and boring examiners, bored with boring patients with boring histories, bored with it all generally,

do i really care if speakers look at listeners more than listeners look at speakers?

heres one thing for sure.. NOBODY IN THE COLLEGE OF PSYCHIATRISTS IS LISTENING TO ANYBODY.

AHHHH... good to read all that, Dutchie you are my man 8-)

What's the validity of this Exam?

OK, I agree it needs to be done, but for God Sake WHY RE-SIT THE WRITTEN??????

i passed it 3 times (hopefully 4 in a month ;) ) and i was wondering What the Heck?

Why do we need to sit this again? Are they testing our Fluid intelligence>>> or our endurance?

If we don;t, then one has more time to:

- get on with life

- prepare a project at work other than 'revising'

- focus on his or her 'weaknesses' at the clinical

i am still going through the grief of yet another ridicoulous feedback and absolutely, utterly , apalling pair of examiners.

PMPs are all about how COMPLIANT a psychiatrist you are with the SYSTEM. Nothing to do with knowledge as we have it if we get there in the first place after 3 and a half years experience minimum.

failed 'for being too anxious'.

Oh, well... I feel better now that I ventilated. yesterday the feeling was UTTER BOREDOM - mechanical answering machine.

:-X

You pass the essay and critical appraisal and you pass the exam.The isqs and emis really dont count.The college have kept these papers as distractors.

The best part is college is saving money in all possible ways,when i took my part 1 I was allowed to take away the pencil and eraser.This tim when i tried taking the pencil with me the invigilator snatched it from me and told me that i cant take it home.

I was wondering is the college worried about the economic or ecological consequences of taking a pencil and eraser home??

One moer EMI:

Group Psychology:

universality

cohesiveness

dependency

pairing

subdependency

free style talking..somethin like that

Questions:

psychoanalysis in group

not helpful in group therapy, Bion

curative factors

8-)that s team effort..we ve recalled 8 out of 10 EMIs, does anyone remember the other 2?

The critical appraisal paper was disgusting. I knew it would be bad but had not imagined that it would be this bad. No complaints against the essays. no point talking of the ISQ/EMI papers because they will always be based more on guess work than tesing real knowledge.

Thanks for sharing Oretta, Self and others....!!

Here are some that I remember....

- Mellow Parenting Programme is associated with a better interaction between children and parents in 50% of the cases at one year follow up.

- Negative reinforcers act as rewards by avoidance of teh behaviour.

- Amnesia in Huntington's is the same for all decades of life.

- Pulvinar sign is a consistent finding in vCJD.

- Incidence of CJD is the greatest in the 7th decade of life.

- Angleman's Syndrome includes paternal disomy.

- Behavioural interventions generally result in settling of behaiour in severe learning disability.

- Ataxia is a side effect of Amphatamines.

- something about women arsonists.... anyone?

- Anosmia occours in right hemisphere damage.

- people with agoraphobia are likely to recall negative views of others.

- as usual..... Heritibility of Conduct disorder is 0.1 to 0.2% ;)

There were a good few about depression. Also about amygdala, to my discomfort and none about animals.... no rats, baboons or rhesus monkeys. ::) this time they gave people ejaculation and paroxysmal headaches to discuss..... :lol:

Many were repeated from the past papers available on this website but definitely not without alterations. Still it was great to have read all of these here.

Blessed Ramzan to all Muslims...!!

Peace...!!!!!

Anyone fancying to post all the answers to the isqs n emis.....

You pass the essay and critical appraisal and you pass the exam.The isqs and emis really dont count.The college have kept these papers as distractors.

The best part is college is saving money in all possible ways,when i took my part 1 I was allowed to take away the pencil and eraser.This tim when i tried taking the pencil with me the invigilator snatched it from me and told me that i cant take it home.

I was wondering is the college worried about the economic or ecological consequences of taking a pencil and eraser home??

I got a second hand rubber! I think it may have been used by a Part I person the week before! Either the college is really concerned about the environment, or they've hit hard times!!! :lol:

Seriously though, it's such a long day with a short time for lunch,etc. To be honest I'd rather pay an extra 20 quid for them to have coffee and sandwiches there at the breaks, rather than have to wolf them down in a cafe nearby.

The EMIs

Mutation in presenilin 1 gene

Mutation in tau gene

Apo e4 allele

Cytoplasmic inclusions in Substantia nigra and cortex?

Extracellular plaques

Sensitivity to neuroleptics

some sort of CT changes ?frontal

something something something...

1) 58 year old woman with family history of dementia, presenting with similar

2) One resembling Lewy Body

3) ?Picks

word of warning for those who think u pass this exam on essay and crit not true i know some folk who failed on mcq scores of 4..

>:(

when i really make my mind up that i will be doing the written for the last time and the exam is going rubbish.. iam going to run out of the exam with the question PAPER  under my shirt and BREAK RULES

imagine the feeling of disclosing those idiots in the college of touchy feelies to the world outside? :lol:

I could make money by selling the basic sciences mcq questions to a christmas Cracker company for jokes at christmas lol

I just learned that there is such a thing as Coital Cephalgia...!!! :D

Ok...

- Melatonin is an indol amine derived from tryptophan.

- I/V tryptophan can supress prolactin release in depressed people.

- sensitivity of Dexamethasone supression test is above 80 % in depressed subjects.

- Cortisol to DHEA ratio is increased in depressed people.

- Visuospatial agnosia can help to defferentiate between depression and early dementia

- DHEA is an antagonist to Cortisol.

MOST THOUGHT PROVOKING Q.............

:o :oejaculation is related to acute paroxysmal headaches?? :-X

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0