Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
doctorwasim

HOW TO PREPARE FOR PART 2

6 posts in this topic

No...I am no genius, but after clearing Part 2 in the first attempt, and without any distress, I feel I am now in a position to advise people taking exams in spring or later.

There has been a lot of discussion about the time required to prepare for Part 2. Well as anyone would say...it differs. One thing I can say is that ur unlikely to clear if u have prepared for less than 4 weeks (2 hrs each day) and that > 6 months is generally unnecessary, no matter how bad u think u are. I consider myself an average student and will say that 8-10 weeks were good enough for me.

ISQ's/ EMI's -

This would generally seem the most difficult part of the exam, and in some ways is, but remember that the paper will generally be terrible for all but a few genius candidates. The pass rate for written exams is generally about 75% so 3 in 4 will pass.

I would suggest that the best way of preparing for the exam is going according to the Royal College syllabus/ topics. Some topics carry a number of questions and one needs to give more importance to those topics. I would suggest that the Manchester notes are brilliant in this respect. I have not read the other notes but cannot comment on them. I did read the Birmingham notes and can say that although good, they are precise and not explanatory.

I read Sciences Basic to Psychiatry for the 1st paper, and to be honest did not find it very helpful. Use it only if ur taking the '6 month' option to prepare for the exams. In lesser time, it would be of no major benefit as u would not grasp much. Having said that, if ur reading a book for basic sciences, it has to be this one. I hear someone ask 'how to prepare for clinicals then'? Well, its best to do as many questions as possible...there are thousands of them u can procure, importantly from past papers, since many are repeated. Get hold of questions from various courses. The EMI/ISQ books, all of them are generally not good as they have either too simple questions or too complicated ones.

Remember, its not uncommon to not be sure of >50% od ISQ/EMI answers, so dont despair. And yes, it is not imperative to have study partners, as long as u know what ur reading.

CRITICAL APPRAISAL

What I felt was the easiest part, but only if u read Stephen Lawrie, a fantastic book which will help u thru ur career.. U will need to read it 3-4 times, and then will need to go thru the practice papers in the yellow book.

Remember, it is very unlikely that u will finish >80% of the paper, but the pass requirement is around 45%, so again, dont despair. U need to be swift but make sure what ur writing is right, thats more important.

ESSAY WRITING

Another difficult aspect, but remember, if u have prepared well, u will know at least one of the 3 topics well. Start by making a list of common topics, there are about 15-20 of them in general, and then acquire management data on each of them. Try to look at bulletins and journals for recent management strategies and psychological management. Do not look at journals less than 3 months old, since the topics are selected 3 months in advance. APT is very good, and u can get online access for around £10, for 24 hours during which time u can download all articles u want easily. Read the 'psychological treatment' chapter in Oxford.

Spend 10-15 mins thinking abt the plan and what u will include. Provide a structure to ur essay, and remember they are asking u to debate on a topic, not vomit out whatever u know abt it.

CLINICALS  

Some people say ur clinicals preparation shud start as soon as u have given ur written. I do not think or advocate that. U have gone thru a tough time so relax until ur results are out. 2 weeks is good enough time to prepare if u have basic clinical skills.

PMP's

Olumuroti is the mother of all books. There is a lot of information, and u would not be able to finish his discussions in 100 minutes, let alone the 10 mins u get in the exams. Having said that, its extremely useful to have a feel of the kind of stations. Remember that no matter what station u get, u need to discuss with some underlying structure in mind, explaining that u will clarify information where possible. If u dont know anything, say it rather than take a chance. DO not forget risks associated and MDT involvement in every case.

Go thru the PMP's on this website...all of them!

Long Case

There is not much to say abt this, just that u need to be prepared with the etiology, psychodynamic formulation, investigations, management and prognosis of the 10 most common cases as can be seen in the poll. Be nice to the patient and finish off the physical examination in the first 30 mins if possible. Try to be fluent and with structure.

I do not think its an absolute essential in presenting cases to consultants, do that only if u have never presented cases, which i feel is unlikely if u have reached to this level.

Hope this helps!

I am very grateful for this information. I am having a hard time finding a study group because every one I know is thinking of preparing for interviews instead.

Your advise will go a long way to help me.

Wish me luck. I hope to be able to write back after spring 2007 final results that I passed. It will be the happiest day of my life.

Albert Michael's two books for the PMP are excellent! PMP Questions repeat in the exam so make sure you familarise yourself with them on this website. Good luck!

These two Albert Michael's PMP books are given free by Drug reps, don't know which,., check out.

Its Astra Zenca

both parts given free by them.

two very small books.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0