Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest santhana

PDA for psychiatrists

24 posts in this topic

Hi Folks

I am planning to upgrade my monochrome palm Vx to colorful something!!!!

Have anyone got ideas on choosing the operating systems I am familiar with Palm OS is it safe to stick to it of widows mobile OS (like ipaq) has any advantages?

I am also interested to know about availability of relevant softwares in those oprating systems

can any Wiz please throw lights!!!!!!

Webmaster :lol:

I am also considering a PDA but am not sure whether its my gadget-mania taking over or whether it would actually be a cost effective buy!! So far considereing Sony Clie and ipac- have read rather negative reviews of the clie on amazon.....

Hi there,

I have been using PDA for last 2 years. I have used Palm and they seem to be quite good.I am using sony Clie at the moment and its colour resolution is quite good. There are lots of software available for you to download from the web both for the palm and windows operating system.the problem that I am aware of with windows operating system is that it uses a lot of battery power.

I have been able to synchronise it with my computer at work so that I can use my pda and after synchronisation the info is available to my secretary as well but to get this thing done it has taken more than a year.there are lots of utilities but as with all these gadgets the more information you put in them,the more useful they become.

asr

hi there

i am a yes for pda's.can i ask sony clie which model?i am looking out for one.

ta

I succumbed to my urges for this gadget and bought an ipaq h2210

its only 3 days but i am loving it(probably honey moon period!!!!)

it has two expansion memory slots (i dont think any other pda comes like that both compact flash card and SD slots so you can carry double memory - if u need)

the screen resolution is great the speed of the processor comapared to my palm Vx is great

the PDA doubles as remote control for all your home entertainment devices (if your child is hoarding the remotes!!!!!)

i dont want to sound like a man from hp so overall good buy but the amount of softwares available for pocket pc are less than Palm OS i am sure it will change

happy buying!!!!

8) 8) 8) Anyone interested in getting a freebie!!! ?? I bet you guys wont be interested.....

I know a company who gives free Sony Clie'...

Blackmagic

yeah

let us know if it is free.

im sure there must be a catch or its just black magic.

Howdy Folks!!!

I thought the replies will be overwheming....for the freebie!! Just a two.... But no odds....

There is no catch...You have to refer 2 other 'shrinks' who would like to get the PDA as well...!!!

How hard that is....

I'm a living proof who have got the Sony (PDA) & I have recommended 2 of my friend who were more than happy to be referred!!!!

Keep me posted if you are 'still interested!!!!' :lol: 8)

I am also interested, but just a little sceptical!!

i understand that there is a locum agency that gives u a pda when u start work with them

Only if there is no involvement with drug companies or, worse, marketing agencies. Not ready to sell my soul yet. :lol:

Given that this 'free PDA' thing seems to ba a hoax, does anyone have an HP IPAQ 5550 and or have any opinions on it? Have now gone off the idea of a clie! I found a good deal online at Comet of all places. Apparently some of the VERY cheap HP's are 'grey stock'- ie not with a UK guarantee i think.

Hey Amygdala,

I was away for a week on holiday & u guys call the freebie PDA as hoax...

Here is the contact : Alexis Medical Ltd

The courtyard,Parsonage Farm

Throwley

Faversahm

ME13 0BR

Please contact them.... & they will send u a form to fill in.No other catch at all...

:lol: :lol: hhehehe

Hi blackmagic,

im definitely interested. i just luv freebies. :lol: :lol: :lol:

niyi

Given that this 'free PDA' thing seems to ba a hoax, does anyone have an HP IPAQ 5550 and or have any opinions on it? Have now gone off the idea of a clie! I found a good deal online at Comet of all places. Apparently some of the VERY cheap HP's are 'grey stock'- ie not with a UK guarantee i think.

I have the old PPC flagship 3970 iPAQ (Compaq branded). It's pushing 2 years old in a few months, never crashes, has the X-Scale 400Mhz CPU (can play QUake, Tomb Raider). SD Card for memory, etc., . POcket PC OS 2003 edition. I totally recommend the PocketPC ones due to the stability of the 3970, it even withstood me putting Familiar Linux on it and back again. I used to use a Palm but didn't like it.

I have heard there are reliability issues with the HP ones though....maybe Brighthand forums could help.

I have finally bought a tungsten T3 as it seems to be compatible with a lot of software. I love it!!!!

Could somebody technical please advise on which are the best PDAs currently on the market.

Are there textbooks for psychiatry (preferably free), BNF and other useful items that you can download that will hopefully make my bag lighter and on-calls easier? Does anybody know any good links to websites that may have this information?

Many thanks

Unless I am mistaken (and someone please tell me if I am), there isn't a free copy of BNF available for the PDA and I have yet to hear of any cracks / hacks for it. A good alternative which is free is epocrates. American programme but very useful. Has recommended doses for adults / peads as well as contraindications and side effects. It is also updated regularly which is useful.

i just bought a grt offer,

i bought, mia mini walker, it is basically uses windows mobile 2003. da greatest feature is,

it has an inbuilt GPS receiver, n derz a company gives u a deal,

da pocket pc+tomtom navigator software+ukspeedcamera database+256mb memory card for 323 pounds.

its fantastic to use once u install all da software

navigator is hassle free, u can carry it ne wher it will even navigate u to local pubs while u r walking.

i m going to put it to gud use during my home visits,

if ne body,s interested visit

www.pocketgpsworld.co.uk

thanks for the website mate.

there is no free BNF for the PDA available as of now excepted pirated versions.

i have used combi GPSs and i don't think they are as good as the proper ones.just like the camera on camera phones.not good enough.my GPS gets me to places yes but does it get me there accurately?? NOPE.unless tom tom has been upgraded,i wouldn't advice a combi GPS.thats my personal opinion though.