Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest SP

TURNERS AND AUTISM

6 posts in this topic

COULD ANYONE HELP ME WITH THIS:(from autumn 06 paper)

In girls with Turner's, when the X chromosome originates from the father, the incidence of autism is similar to boys of the same age

many thanks

SP

I did a google search to see if there is any relation and my search din't yield any rsults wihich suggests that the the answer in wrong.

I did a google search to see if there is any relation and my search din't yield any rsults wihich suggests that the the answer in wrong.

That mode of reaching a conclusion may be biased... ;)

I would say it is the opposite....

Consider the fact that [highlight]X chromosome in all males come from the mother[/highlight].... and the fact that [highlight]Autism is more common in boys[/highlight]....

So if X chromosome carries the gene for autism, then, technically it is caused by the maternal X....

In case of Turners, which has just one X chromosome, and if the X is paternal, then this does not happen... but if the X is maternal, then there is a chance of development of diminished verbal and social skills leading to autism....

There is also the possibility of the paternal actually being protective... not allowing the expression of the maternal gene... again, in males and turners (with maternal X), that is not possible... and hence the high risk....

I hope this is clear... so if the question is opposite, then it may be TRUE....

Here is the link...

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v387/n6634/abs/387705a0.html

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0