Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rapidtranq

Reading material for MRCPsych part-2?

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys/gals,

I'd be very grateful if you'd let me know what are the absolute 'must read' books/materials for the theory component of the MRCPsych Pt-2 exam?

Thanks

Manchester theory materials, Stephen Lawrie, Royal college yellow book.. they are 'must read'.

All the best.. ;)

Hi,

1. Critical appraisal - making sense of critical appraisal(easy to read), manchester notes and practice at least a few papers from yellow Gaskell book. remember pass rate for this paper is between 30 - 40%.

2. Essay - Looking at past papers my guess is a topic on scz or psychosis tend to appear(at least was asked in last 4-5 exams). So read manchester notes on scz thoroughly with a few references.

3. MCQ - Looks like repetition rate is about 30 - 40%. Rest should have a sensible guess work. again past questions posted on site, man mcq + EMQ(important as tend to repeat). luck.

This is the minimum to start with and if lucky can get through the written.

Good Luck

. I would recommend Manchester notes for the ISQs.

. For critical appraisal get one of the three or four books that summarise all the basics (you don't need more than the basics to pass. But do learn the basics)

. For essays, there is nothing better than writing an essay every week or two. They're not testing your knowledge, but how well you can put forward whatever you know. Make a list of general references while you read.

. I found the Oxford handbook of psychiatry very useful for the clinicals.

Avoid going into too much detail, and use lots of common sense (the less common of the senses).

Good luck! ;)

for intense reading

slartifastblast has given an excellent guide to both written and clinicals

Manchester notes is the bible for references, essays and for isq's. We had an essay on Schizophrenia in the Spring exam and anyone thorough with manchester must have had an easy 90 minutes with the essay. APT journal, main topics and the B J Psych editorials for the essay topics, Making sense of critical appraisal by Olajide Ajetunmobi [ short and sweet book], Yellow Royal college workbook for critcal appraisal and past papers for ISQ's . This combination did the trick for me 3 times.

Manchester notes is the bible for references, essays and for isq's. We had an essay on Schizophrenia in the Spring exam and anyone thorough with manchester must have had an easy 90 minutes with the essay. APT journal, main topics and the B J Psych editorials for the essay topics, Making sense of critical appraisal by Olajide Ajetunmobi [ short and sweet book], Yellow Royal college workbook for critcal appraisal and past papers for ISQ's . This combination did the trick for me 3 times.

i fully agree...

the only thing i can add to the list is the past questions frm superego...

I can tell u frm personal experience that there is much more repetition than we think..

just make sure u have the right answers..

we had a dilligent study group and we really put hard wrk into getting the answers right.. (most of the 'answers' you see on the superego forum are personal opinions  ;) )

best of luck

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0