Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest aventis

Safety of a psychiatrist

9 posts in this topic

If a patient poses a physical threat to a psychiatrist e.g by stalking or hiring people to attack him,how is he going to safeguard his safety?

Is he justified to report to police?

What are the ethical issuse involved?

Any comments please.

I would suggest involving your local managers, BMA, etc.

I consider my safety paramount and would not hesitate to seek further advice and help, which may include ;egal steps and involvement of the police.

well,

this involves patient confidentiality and also the safety of the psychiatrist.

first speak to your consultant, then manager,BMA and then inform to your medical director.if there are serious threats from the patient,then you should think about your safety so you will run through the procedures fast and inform the police

i would have absolutely no hestitation in calling the police if i felt my safety was at stake. i agree with what other people say, your safety is the most important thing. discuss things with your clinical tutor, and maybe the college.

Thanks for expert remarks/opinions.

What if you are in such a situation with one of your consultant`s/supervisor`s private patient whom you saw at his private clinic when he was on leave and asked you cover him up? And when you want to report to police about your safety your supervisor gets upset/annoyed saying that this will ruin his clinic`s reputation and will affect his private patients.Asks you refrain from reporting to police,threats/scares you that he will influence your results in exam and asks you to quit his training post. What do you do in such situation,where do you go to ask for justice???

I would like all my colleagues to please give thoughtful expert opinions.

Thanks.

dear aventis,

this situation is not only unusual but alarming as well

i would still think safety is the most important issue here...and any steps taken ought to reflect that.

if the consultant is unhelpful and indeed threatening then there should be another sr. colleague, a clinical tutor / medical director who can be relied upon.

again, BMA, Trust solicitors & managers, MDU and definitely the Police.

:'( i really hope this is not a real life situation, if it is, i am worried. A consultant threatening your safety /career for his own ends ought to be reported. ???I wonder if he thinks the patient is not really a threat and hence it is OK to look the other way :-[ or he really understands but is prepared to ruin your life. the fact that you are not considering taking evasive action tells us you are not in a safe position in terms of obligation other than just training needs.

anyway very interesting and hopefully you can tells us in more detail, who said what to whom, diagnosis,is the stalking amorous?

8)safety issuses override any etical debate, regarding ----------do no harm ,equality, justice and confidentialty :-X :-X

It is a real life situation & alot of harm has already being done to the career of a trainee.Unfortuanetly I can`t post any further details here due to alot of reasons,but just wanted to see the situation with the eyes of other professionals to know who is correct and justified..the trainee or the consultant.

Will try to bring more such interesting situations for my colleagues in future.

Thanks