Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twinkle

PART II

29 posts in this topic

Hi

I am eligible to write part 2 in September this year but am really finding it hard to get started and motivated. This entire MTAS debacle has really left me feeling rather disillusioned.I have spoken to colleagues who have written recently and they say that I may not have enough time  to prepare adequately even if I start studying today!!!!I have been offered 1 of my choices but waiting for last 2. Some people say it may be better to wait for the new exam if you get into an ST post?????

Then there is the issue of where I could be after August-study leave,annual leave etc not sorted and whether I will be allowed it or not.I cant seem to concentrate on getting on with the work(have been spending more time checking my mail and following threads on the forum than trying to sort out study programme.)

This probably sounds like I am so full of complaints,but just needed some form of catharsis( rather here than let poor hubby listen to all of this.... AGAIN)

Anyway just wondering if anybody else in the same position and want to form some sort of study/motivational/b***h and moan group for part II! I know there have been other threads about time needed  for part II prep and Slarti's guide but need some more advice.  :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/

Hi,

I think I know exactly how you feel - I want to write Sept too but can't work my head around which direction to go to get moving. And as for actually being employed....that's another story.

It might be too soon but I feel as if I'll regret it if I don't give it a shot.

Happy to add my moans to yours - maybe they'll cancel each other out. ;)

Sigh!!! Thats a relief that somebody out there feels my pain....was really starting to think that I was the only miserable sod out there.

Any ideas about how to start or where to start?

slartibartfast seems to have some useful thoughts and ideas you should check him out.

actually, i'm thinking you may have done that already...hhhm need to expand the search then. will post if i find something useful

I'm feeling just the same, Twinkle. And flexi trainee with 3 kids to get to bed before I can work in peace, by which time I'm knackered. I really want to do it in Sept, in case I don't get it first time....but when i look at the essay questions, I just think 'My God'. I need to get organised. Will check out slarti's guide. But I'm definitely up for an online motivational/ study group.

I hope you'll soon be feeling better. I think most people sitting Part II feel rather lost; it's not so much to do with what's happening in life (of course, this does carry its weight), and more to do with the exam itself. The question is: where does one start??

. Read your Critical Appraisal (don't leave it until the last minute)

. Read your Manchester notes

. Do any MCQ's you find (it's more getting into the habit of doing them. And you'll also learn in the process)

. Write essays (one every week or fortnight?). Get into the habit of putting ideas on paper in a way that make sense. And if you can, make a list of possible references that may come useful in the exam.

Your motivation will come and go, but keep going.

In my case, small bites (and often) were better than long hours in front of the books. And I didn't spend more than three months revising.

Good luck!!

Oreta, nice to see you again!

I think we did part 1 at same time, didn't we? The joys of flexible training.....watching everyone race past on their way up the career ladder! ::)

Thanks for the advice Oreta. Good to hear from you Ros. Looks like Surfette,you and I will start a study group and aim to rock this exam!!! WIll definitely make a start this week. Critical review is my first task....currently like Greek to me :-? :-? :-? :-?

Twinkle, repeat after me...

'Critical Review is not rocket science, I CAN do it!'

Say that to yourself 20 times before bed each night and read the college past papers.. it WILL be OK. I think people frighten themselves with the stories..... They're not asking for a postgrad degree in statistics. It just needs the time and space to sort it all out in your own head in your own way... not something most journal clubs are good at, I don't think. Yes, you have to be quick, and yes it is different from the other stuff we do, but it is NOT beyond our reach to understand.

My downfall is the sheer volume of stuff. Need to get hold of manchester part 2 from someone to make it seem feasible. And I like Slarti's idea of an essay a week or fortnight until the exam. Is the webmaster doing a revision thingy, I wonder? (Or even a vision thingy, since I can't remember part 1 and I haven't done the part 2 stuff once!)

Ros, nice to see you too. Yes, we did our Part I together. Hope all is going well with you. Don't worry about everybody else going faster than you are. Life is not about passing exams and going up the 'career ladder'. There are so many more important things (in many ways, you have your priorities right!).

It is so true what you say about Critical Appraisal. We don't need a degree on the subject. In the beginning, it all sounds double Dutch (I know a few words of Greek already). When you first read it, you won't understand anything at all. Don't worry, I don't think the rest of us did either. Keep going back to the basics and learn them well (you'll have to read them a few times). You won't be able to answer all the questions in the exam, but enough to pass comfortably.

So, with Critical Appraisal, learn the basics (well) and manage your time. That's all really.

Easy, isn't it? ;)

Good to read this thread guys...

After being down for a couple of days.... I am ready to start as well...

and I guess there is enough time... 3 months spot on to go for the theory...

Oreta... you are absolutely right... there is more to life than all these... Somehow you get caught up in all these stuff...

We need morale boosters like you...

But its time to buckle up... roll up our sleves... and there is nothing to stop us now...

My motto....  'No Sleep till Edinburgh'  (partly because of my son who is 10 days old)

and

Hasta la victoria siempre....

Dorian, you put me to shame!

If you can do it with a tiny baby, I have no excuse  :-[ (in 30 mins, my youngest will be 5 yrs old).

Oreta, thanks for the encouragement...

Onwards and upwards! and KOKO  :)

(Keep On Keeping On)

Thanks Ros... but all credits to the wife...

I like KOKO... :) :)

and give the 5 year old (gentleman/lady) my wishes... :)

We can all find some people who are worse off than us and some who are better off. But at the end of the day we have to look at ourselves and decide what we want to do and how.

Life can be scary at times, but more often than not, it's us who are scared of life. OK, there are limits to what we can do, but we often create unnecessary obstacles that make things so much more difficult.

You can do it. Go for it and, as Ros says, KOKO (I like this too).

All the best.

Has anyone got any ideas for a revision timetable? Ten weeks to go and i'm like a rabbit in headlights!

Dear Twinkle, I have a personal experience of writing theory and passing it four times. I passed my clinical last time. I can vouch that two monts is more than enough.Manchester notes for theory. You can get many essay topics from the notes. Olajide Ajetunmobi's critical appraisal made easy is a brilliant book coupled with the royal college past papers should do the trick. Please do past papers from superego. I did not study for more than a month and a half for each attempt. I am sure you have sufficient time. You just have to tell yourself constantly that you can do it. Good luck

Ros , a revision timetable that i would suggest would be

1. Critical appraisal everyday for 1-2 hours. At least 1 past paper so that you have sufficient time to do it 3 times.

2. Manchester questions- just a glance at them everyday for a few minutes even at work will keep you on the go.

3. I can suggest essays

Suicide/Homicide[ hasnt been asked for a long time]

Early intervention in Psychosis[ Excellent article by Swaran Singh in APT

Metabolic syndrome [ Manchester notes [ brilliant references]

4 I would suggest revisisng manchester atleast twice before you go for the exam. It can look scary in the start but if you get used to it, its really easy.

5 I also found the bj psych editorials useful for essay topics. for example - '' Are diseases like depression and anxiety part of the same disorder or are they co morbidities''. It makes you think.

Oh,

so that means many are in the same boat. i was always thinking its only me, who is not able to motivate and read. Many of my frnds are also finding difficulty. But i think v should miss give the exams with good preparation. Let us start slowly and win the race. prey god and start it.

Dear Guevara

Thank you for the reassuring advice. It is useful to have practical approaches like you have outlined. Have spoken to one of my colleagues who has failed the clinicals twice and the only advice she gives me is ''just pace yourself and try to go through as much as u can,dont worry I know u will be fine ''>:( >:( >:( >:(NOT VERY HELPFUL!!!!!

So thank you for your advice. :) :) :)

Hey Twinkle,

Did I see your name elsewhere in forum mentioning you got a st3 job in LNR?

Yes I did zara01.Did not accept it-chose Eastern. Am awake at this ungodly hour-on call :)!!!!!

hi twinkle, i can suggest some essays from manchester notes if u wish

LOOKING THROUGH THE FORUM I WAS WONDERING HOW ARE PEOPLE GETTING ON WITH THE CRITICAL APPRAISAL BIT :-[

Rupam. the yellow journal of the Royal college with '' Critical Appraisal Made Easy by Olajide Ajetunmobi '' should suffice

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0