Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shweta

some doubts

6 posts in this topic

1. most cases of bulimia have suffered AN initally.False .i thought its 50%..

2. glutamate receptors are unchanged in no. of postmortem brains of schizophrenia pts.. F..says true else where stating only kainate and AMPA show changes

3. cognitive consonance is imperative in problem solving. True... apparently dissonance will create a problem in the first place..needs consonance to solve it???

4. amitryptiline in old age is associated with decreased REM.. false

5. old age and AD both show neuronal degenaration in layer 2 of entorhinal cortex.. false

6. episodic memory is usually impaired in dementia..False i thought..they do remember incidents..dont they?

7. impulsivity is characteristic of prader-willy syndrome... true

8. caffeine can give false positve dexa suppression test..true. any arousal state will.eg stress, illness

9. social judgement decision making is not spared in the lesions of ventromedial frontal cortex..i thought .True..

10. emotional blunting is characteristic of PTSD... i thought true..

11. simple phobias are more difficult to treat than agoraphobia.. false...apparently agoraphobia is the most difficult one to treat

12. in OCD , one shud treat ruminations before rituals.

13. suicide attempts in depression are more likely if associated with OC traits..false

14. amnesia is a feature of PTSD..?true

please do correct me...suggestions are welcome..

cheerz

Hi anamica

I do not think that amnesia is a feature of PTSD

Vijay

1. most cases of bulimia have suffered AN initally.False . i thought its 50%.. (it is 50% but 50.1% makes it most...)

2. glutamate receptors are unchanged in no. of postmortem brains of schizophrenia pts.. False (it is false... doesnt matter if it is AMPA or KA or NMDA they are talking about.. the question doesnt specify)

3. cognitive consonance is imperative in problem solving.

(I am not sure it is important in problem solving.. it is important in changing attitudes by altering cognition... and effort justification.... so they make the cognitions more consonant to make it more acceptable... for eg: Bush justifies his policies on Iraq... although he may have cognitive dissonance, he justifies it... by thinking 'we have lost thousands of lives so the war must be important....' thus making it more consonant/acceptable)

4. amitryptiline in old age is associated with decreased REM.. TRUE -

depression leads to more REM... so antidepressants will reverse it... to be specific.. increases REM latency; increases REM supression and decreases REM...

5. old age and AD both show neuronal degenaration in layer 2 of entorhinal cortex.. False (marked loss in the layer 2 is seen in AD even in mild AD)

6. episodic memory is usually impaired in dementia.. TRUE

7. Impulsivity is characteristic of prader-willy syndrome... TRUE

for a good review of PWS

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/155/9/1265

8. caffeine can give false positve dexa suppression test..true. any arousal state will.eg  stress, illness

9. social judgement decision making is not spared in the lesions of ventromedial frontal cortex..

True.. It is impaired in lesions of ventromedial

10. emotional blunting is characteristic of PTSD... TRUE (Numbness and emotional blunting)

11. simple phobias are more difficult to treat than agoraphobia.. False...

12. in OCD , one shud treat ruminations before rituals. FALSE

there is no such rule... both can happen together

13. Suicide attempts in depression are more likely if associated with OC traits.. I would go for TRUE...

by OC traits it would mean anankastic personality traits... and people with OC traits have a high set standard and hence prone to depression and have even lesser chance of asking for help and hiding past attempts..

14. Amnesia is a feature of PTSD.. Apparently amnesia could be part of dissociative symptoms (dissociative amnesia)

But isn't OCD protective against suicide?

No... Kaplan says they have higher suicide rates...

Morover the question says OC traits.. I would think the traits suggest personality... (OCPD rather than OCD)... inwhich case, they are more prone for depressive illness in later life and suicide...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0