Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest mazhar

Self help group for victims of MRCPsych

12 posts in this topic

After failing in part 2 clinicals recently, have missed the need for self help group for like minded people in similiar situation. I wonder if anyone knows about such a group?

I failed PtII twice on the clinicals in 2002. I was so gutted and traumatised that I vowed never to take it again. Failing really shook my sense of self. Anyway , here I am 2 years later, working with a very supportive consultant and ready for another shot at it.

it is really a sort of bereavement failing ptII.

Very much agree. Perhaps the most agonizing factor is re-taking the written. I believe this is the only Royal College which require you to take the written again if you fail the clinicals. Another problem is that everyone else from your study group is applying for SpR posts while you are applying to re-sit the exam. Anyway, Good luck next time.

I totally agree with the comments above.I find it amusing that some roumers are circulating about the college contemplating abolishing the exam!!

Why would they do that ?would these examiners find anything more enjoyable than getting doctors to go through this tortouring experience in return for huge sums of money?

exactly, I too heard about royal college contemplating abolishing the exams, I dont know how much truth is there in all these rumors, but sometimes I am frightened I will never be able to take the exams as I am preparing for the part 1 in march 06 ???

heard similar rumours replacing the exam with a 5 year training period and assessments at each attachment sounds ok.. has to be better than the present stupid system, and if they screw up your clinical they give u your money back.. lovely.$$$ not and one takes the exam all over again.HUH.

it's WRONG but not the only college. friend doing anaesthetics redoing the whole lot after failing the oral exam. should be changed but we need to have our facts straight before petitioning the college.

The emotional drain and blow to one's self esteem can have a knock on effect on the mental wellbeing of RCPsych victims.

A factor I donot believe the RCPsych gurus have carefully considered.

There seem to be quite a number of plausible explanations for this- the fact that a large proportion of the examination candidates are from ethnic minorities.

The RCPsych are not imaginative enough to explore better ways to raise funds for the young college.

There could be so much more!

It is just UNFAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

We as psychiatrists ought to be more considerate of the impact of our actions on others to say the least. But when the RCPsych gurus put on such attitude of outright discrimination and ongoing stressor to it's so called future psychiatrists, it makes you wonder what exactly their conscious and unconscious aims are.

>:(

WHO will make them see this?

When will all these change?

Imagine after thoroughly traumatising some people they now think it is time they do away with the exams.

HOW CONVENIENT. FORGETTING THAT WOUNDS MAY HEAL BUT SCARS REMAIN AS REMINDERS NO WONDER THE VICTIMS BECOME PERPETRATORS?

Well for those as angry as i am and who possibly have been traumatised the only consolation is to shift your gaze to other things in life that are more rewarding.

Sitting for the exams could be so intensive, in so much so that every other aspect of your life is put on hold.

To put in so much effort and get a fail is PUNISHMENT.

AND SOON IF YOU DONT WATCH IT YOU FIND YOURSELF IN A STATE OF LEARNED HELPLESSNESS!

SO GUYS TRY TO VENTILATE YOUR FEELINGS LIKE I HAVE DONE AND KEEP AN ATTITUDE OF HOPEFUL EXPECTATION.

AFTERALL YOU KNOW YOUR WORTH EVEN IF THE EXAMINERS FAIL TO ACKNOWLEDGE THIS.

Hi

I think it is important to keep our self esteem,

and not allow any body or authority, however important they think they are, to destroy our feeling of selfworth.

I think this is the only way of making sure that these self- appointed 'gurus' donot succeed in inflicting defeat on us.

Guys I've failed Part II clinical 3 times... 3 times failed the PMPs!! How bad is that?? Have taken the exam again... Donno if I'll pass this time. Don't think I did well in the pmps again :(

Obviously there's a lot of anger and rage inside me... I have been down the self doubt route before and it doesn't help... Yeah people tell you there must be something wrong with your performance. Is it anxiety? Is it....?

To be frank I don't give a s**t!! There are so many unfair things in life and this stupid exam is just one of them. I have in the past neglected my social life, etc. My friends called me antisocial and my then girlfriend would not sleep with me cos 'I'd let myself go'!! But is it really worth it?

I'm currently doing a staff grade job in addiction in London and I can honestly say I've never felt happier in my life... My social life is booming and I look forward to coming to work every day... My boss treats like I'm god... I have also been weight training and I've never looked or felt better!!

Life is good... Do you think I would waste time worrying about my pmps this weekend? No... I'll put my soft top car's roof down and drive with a blonde model to Brighton!! Exam? what exam?

(PS. I'm not in denial OK?)