Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
glib

silly query

10 posts in this topic

hi!

could anyone enlighten wat is one expected to do durin a clinical attachment to have a good reference and maybe get a locum perhaps?! :-/

thanx

Glib

You are quite right in saying .......... it is a SILLY Query.

Anyway, You should be regular/ Punctual........ although people say it doesn't matter if you don't go everyday....

Remember... you are being watched and consultants generally asks the staff/ nurses as to how you get along and how interested are you.

Take initiative (Don't pounce on patients!!): Try to impress your boss by good history taking, politeness/ and good bed side manners.

Print a few relevant articles (Your bosses favourite) and read and discuss with boss. he'll be damn impressed.

Don't keep asking your boss ' what should I do '. say ' I will like to do this in the next clinic/session, if possible... in other words .show you are keen and the boss will love to have you and only you as his Junior Doctor.

Again REMEMBER: Boss is looking over you and you are being watched( However, don't start getting Paranoid)

Good Luck. It wasn't a silly query. was only joking.

thanx a ton mickey! :)

i would say be kool and u will get a job one fine day! ;)

No need to act as if u are a slave to ur consultant

What would you want from an SHO when you are a consultant?

I would want someone who actually enjoys the job and psychiatry in its own right, who is committed to developing rapport with patients and families (and not just to impress or please me). Someone who can take some initiative but will ask for help when needed, someone who would be willing to go the extra mile but also who can time manage and get the work done between 9-5.

I would hope to have an SHO who is fun to be around. If I felt someone was just trying to please for secondary gain or just doing the bare minimum, they would find me a hard task mistress but if they were motivated and cared about the patients, I would do everything I possibly could to ensure they had a really valuable and intersting attachment with lots of opportunities for professional development.

with so much of competition these days..

i would suggest using the time as a clinical attachee to dig into some basic psych books (eg. lecture notes in psych, or the orange maudsley handbook)

i would also try and get some hang of clinical governance and probably try and assist an SHO with some ongoing audit project (if not actually doing one of my own)

i know some of my suggestions seem 'heavyhanded' but to be honest i know how tough it is these days to make the transition from the attachee to SHO grade...

in a local DGH in south wales,where i did my attachment, they have recieved 900 applications for a 6 mnth post in psychiatry...

and considering the fact that a few yrs ago no one wanted to come and work here... leave alone as a psychiatrist !

i remember at my time, they were offering me a direct rotation and i turned them down (politely of course) as i was spoilt for choice between the nottingham, liverpool and newcastle rotations... who wanted to get stuck down in wales??

but now..... alas!!

anyways coming back to the main point... you gotta get an edge as an attachee.. and like mickey rightly suggested.....  You are being watched....... So leave no stone unturned

getting along well with the post grad administrator / medical staffing manager is important.

as is being friendly with your consultant's SHO.

all the best! :)

thanx to everyone!