Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rao

ECT & SHOCK

13 posts in this topic

Hello, I have little doubt about ECT. When we shock the pt why don’t we get shock if we touch the pt .and why doesn’t it affect pts heart? Because as little as 250 micro AMP can cause arrhythmias. I tried to search over net and asked few consultants without luck.

:)

my understanding is that the heart is protected coz the current doesnt travel towards the heart... it goes from one electrode to the other thru the fluid rich brain...

i kinda see it as a local loop..... with entry and exits on either side of head

whereas wen u touch a live wire the current goes from ur point of contact (eg hand) traverses towards the earth via ur heart... coz earth offers the exit point !

waddya think????

if u remember the physics of 10+2 you would remember the oft asked question... WHY DO THE BIRDS SITTING ON OVERHEAD ELECTRIC TRANSMISSION WIRES NOT GET ELECTROCUTED....

i guess the same applies to why we dnt get shocked if we touch the patient 8)

Unless of course there is a conduit between yourself and the application pad... like I once had a couple of years back. Our ECT applicator pads are soaked in solution to increase conductivity. I did not realise the handles were slightly damp when the handles fell into the solution. Therefore when the button was pushed and the current applied, my right hand went quite numb! Took about a 15 seconds for any feelings / sensations to reappear! Needless to say, I now wipe down the handles before use on every occasion!

yeah i can remember the machine with sponge ends and a bowl of pink (sic!) solution...

the hosp where i now work has a much posher machine and uses gel on the end

much safer :lol:

if u remember the physics of 10+2 you would remember the oft asked question... WHY DO THE BIRDS SITTING ON OVERHEAD ELECTRIC TRANSMISSION  WIRES NOT GET ELECTROCUTED....

i guess the same applies to why we dnt get shocked if we touch the patient  8)

I did not get the link between two  :D.birds will not get shock coz,they are not touching the ground-no earthing.so current will not pass.

any way thanks puri :)

you are welcome rao...

i guess thats the best my 'bird brain' could come up with :lol::lol::lol:

you are welcome rao...

i guess thats the best my 'bird brain' could come up with  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

:Dwhat happens if you give ECT to birds brain :lol: 8)

Rao

Q:what happens if you give ECT to birds brain? ???

A: ' you will be shocked' :lol: :lol:

Rao

Q:what happens if you give ECT to birds brain? ???

A: ' you will be shocked'   :lol: :lol:

:lol:what is the evidence mickey :D(how do you know :))

Rao

There is no meta-analysis on this one.

It's just a case report, didn't publish it !!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Unless of course there is a conduit between yourself and the application pad... like I once had a couple of years back. Our ECT applicator pads are soaked in solution to increase conductivity. I did not realise the handles were slightly damp when the handles fell into the solution. Therefore when the button was pushed and the current applied, my right hand went quite numb! Took about a 15 seconds for any feelings / sensations to reappear!  Needless to say, I now wipe down the handles before use on every occasion!

similar thing happened to me once. my habd was happy for weeks afterwards. ;)