Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest lyra

doctors and mental health

9 posts in this topic

i would be really greatful for some info, advice , thoughts etc

the service in my area for docs with psych illness doesn't work. the first point of contact is thro a very powerful psychodynamic unit. my experience was to approach desperate for the promised confidentiality but was then not diagnosed and treated for bipolar even with a family history until i was referred to a psychiatrist a year later having being arrested. this was 2 years ago. a few weeks ago i was referred a med student final year via the crisis team that i work with in a similar predicament. i'm also aware of friends of friends...........worrying as i am very careful about who i discuss this with.

so i decided i needed mrcpsych behind me before taking this on and some how i passed this time (i'm so sorry for those who didn't ????????40% pass rate , do they need psychiatrists or not?)

anyway i've decided to try and change things at least locally.

i'd be interested to know what happens in your area, if you know. are you aware of any problems and do you have any suggestions for change?

please let me know.

i recently recieved a survey from cardiff university as someone is doing a study on this topic

i cant exactly remember the name of the consultant, but i am sure it will come to me coz she used to teach in the year 1 MSc course there...

i will post the name here as soon as i can find it and then i am sure u can get in touch with her...

coz if she is doing a survey then she must have done some baseline investigations into this issue ;)

Hi Lyra!

When I worked in Bath... There was a trust policy regarding mental health staff with mental illness. The trust is Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership. Superego-ers working in Bath or Bristol might be able to get you a copy.

We had an ex-psych ward manager, a social worker, a cpn and a psychologist with mental health problems and I can remember using the policy... Basically all info given to the consultant, people looking for beds, etc. should remain anonymous... The patient should be referred to an out of area psychiatrist and admitted to an out of area bed... There was a list of psychiatrists willing to undertake such work. In return, we had to see their staff.

I've also recently done a presentation on the topic as several people at work have been off sick with depression/anxiety and I came across papers by Richard Tillett who is a psychiatrist in Exeter and I understand that he runs a clinic for health professionals with mental health problems. His address is: Wonford House Hospital, Exeter EX2 5AF.

Hope this is of some help.

Hani

thankyou it's a lot of help, and sounds a lot better.

unfortunately my dad died on tuesday morning, i've started a new thread to inject some feeling on the site

.....he had dementia

i'm still here please keep posting

I know the name of the consultant who is doing this survey, its DR G Martinez, consultant , old age, WHITCHURCH.

all the very best.

thanx a lot jiggs 85

Dr Martinez ... thats the one

i guess i need to get my MMSE done coz even after trying so hard i was just completely at loss for the name  :-/

Hani, Lyra...

Out of area sounds good.

If I were to have a psychiatric problem I would (probably) be much more comfortable being treated where my treating team wouldnt know me personally. But then, the stress of 'being far from home', and the travel distance/time for follow up, or even for emergencies... the logistics seems difficult and inherently stressful.

To add to it, as a doctor (and that too a psychiatrist) I would naturally be a difficult patient. (People find me intimidating even in normal circumstances....sigh!)