Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest lyra

dementia/dying

8 posts in this topic

my dad had dementia, medicated 1999, recognised by me in 1992

he died on tuesday

i did 6 months old age psychiatry then a year flexi, i was crap because i hadn't grasped or couldn't cope with the fact that dad was still there..........to the end. not a child a sick adult, please be kind. i'm sending a beautiful poem because it describes where he has been.

to a common place person who died in bed

he will never lie on his couch awake wide eyed tearless till dim day breaks

never again wil he smile and smile when his heart is breaking all the while

he will never stretch out his hand in vain, groping groping never again

never ask for bread, get a stone instead, never pretend that the stone is bread

never sway and sway, twixt the false and true waying and noting the long hours through

never ache and ache with choked up sighs

this is the best of it here he lies

ican't express it better

please be kind and patient

dad i love you

Heartfelt condolences on ur loss lyra.

this has borught flooding back my own memories when my grandmother who had alzheimer's passed away just about 3 years ago.

May ur dad's soul rest in peace and May God give u the courage to deal with this huge loss.

Dear Lyra

Tears welled up in my eyes when I read ur post!

It touched a cord somewhere deep inside me and flooded me with fond memories of my own dad.

May ur dad's soul rest in peace. Amen.

God bless u :)

Dear Lyra

i feel for you...

i ve been there myself...

my grandpa.... the star of my universe... the one who always believed in me and always encouraged me..

the guy who shared my dream of being a doctor and always pushed me towards it..........

unfortunately could never really feel the pleasure and the pride when i completed medical training......

1995 when i passed All India Pre Med, he was diagnosed with alzheimers and then it was a textbook deterioration till he finally died in 1998 (while i was still a third yr student).

thinking of it today makes me go back to my helplesness when both me and my father , one a doctor and other a doctor in making, could do nothing but watch him slip away right in front of our eyes....

it must be very hard for you because for me it still is...

and to be honest, writing about it today i feel this is the first time i have been able to really talk about it.... all these years i was 'the strong one'... but today i have no shame in saying that i am crying while i am writing this.

THANK YOU to all

dear lyra,

i hope and pray that God gives you strength.

you are brave and the poem and all the posts that followed have brought back memories....

i miss my granny.

...been there myself...

When you go through it, its agonising, it tears you apart... to see that you are caring for someone whose finger you held and felt secure while you walked in the park.....

I believe that I am successful and satisfied because I am totally devoted in what I do. I look after my loved ones, I look after my patients... and the One above looks after me.

dear Lyra,

my heartfelt condolences to you. my eyes filled with tears as i read the post.

may god give you the strenght to get throught his loss

dear lyra

may God give u the strength to overcome the loss.its nice of you to share your feelings with us.

i feel very much for u & i think every member of the cafe can relate with u.today He (the lovedone) is not there but He'll be always there in your loving memories.u take care.

nam