Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
murcielago

Psych trainees and travel expenses

5 posts in this topic

Hi

Could someone please clarify what the position is on claiming travel expenses or does it vary from trust to trust.

In my training scheme we are placed all over the region which is made up of 3 trusts. I was working for 'trust A' which paid me travel expenses for the usual i.e course travel, psychotherapy and any on call commitments to off site wards.

I was then placed at another hospital in the same trust which was 5 miles away. They compensated me daily for this extra travel by 10 miles a day.

The next trust I have worked for is 18 miles aka 36 miles return from the first hospital I worked at and they are refusing to pay my expenses.

i have discussed this issue with some of my colleagues who say they do not claim. I understand that in other training specialties most training as an SHO takes place within different departments in the same hospital. However Psych sends you all over the place.

Now I am owed a fair bit of money by my current trust. Just wandering if anyone could provide me with guidance or advice on how to sort it out.

Thanks

I'm travelling 100 miles(return) per day to my new post and the deanery are paying me the extra mileage.They do not pay the 22mile (return) to the hospital nearest to me and deduct this from expenses paid.

Claim

On the rotation i'm on were all paid by the same trust, regardless of which trust we actually work in. At the beginning you nominate a base hospital (nearest your home) then can claim the difference in mileage if you're placed further away.

Also you can claim for extra stuff you mentioned.

Sounds similar to stressed.

It may be that the deanery need to pay rather than the trust.

You should at least be able to claim for the extra stuff even if you can't claim for there and back.

our trust is much the same as hermits. One nominates a 'base hospital' when one starts the rotation and then as one moves the home - work expenses are paid after deductin the distance of new base from the original base. So it makes sense to nominate the hospital nearest to you as the base hospital if u can.

They are also supposed to pay u official and emergency journeys at a different rate (ie more). Official is anything u need to do between 9-5 which does not include travelling to home and work - stuff like DVs, travelling from wards to outpatients etc. ANY travelling  (work related) done out of hours should be paid at the emergency rate.

And yes trusts have a maximum time limit on claims coming in and will not pay after this time....so CLAIM now.

All the best.

fonz,

i think you might have sorted this out by now but if not, some more guidance-- the previous posts have given everything,i am just pointing out some from a different trust

you would know that the travel from home to BASE (primary workplace) will not be paid. from the base to any of your clinics or outreach centers can be claimed. speak to the payroll, get your car insured for business miles and fill the form that your trust provides for using your car for business miles and then keep an account of the miles you do and fill it in regularly.send it by the end of each month after getting it authorised by your line manager and you will get it reimbursed.

if the payroll tell you a different protocol then that will suit you.cheers