Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bhushanvaidya

Light Humour - Amusing paragraphs of text books

2 posts in this topic

Studying for PII at the moment. Was amused by this paragraph in 'Critical Appraisal for Psychiatry' by S Lawrie (page 116) as he reels it off as if it were just an ordinary sentence. LOL.

'The 95% confidence interval for an odds ratio is therefore the antilog of the natural log of the odds ratio minus 1.96 times the natural log of the standard error to the odds ratio plus 1.96 times the natural log of the standard error.'

Hopefully will find some more gems like this to keep me entertained during the stressful next 8 weeks.

If you have noticed any amusing / bizzare paragraphs in textbooks yourself then please post them here with the page number so that we can all get some light relief.

Good luck, Bhushan :D

i would like to quote one from robbins textbook of pathology... '' what is human but an ingenious machine designed to turn the red wine of siraz into urine''... {basically this is from the seven gothic tales}.

NB: i know that this quote is not in keeping with the topic.. still i thought our cafe members would enjoy reading this.