Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rddoc

ICD 10 / DSM IV

5 posts in this topic

hello guys..hope everyone would agree that ICD10 is our bible... how about DSMIV? do i have to know it in detail before appearing for part two? looking forward to your suggestions. thx. :o

you are expected to have a good knowledge of one classification. Some people have agood woring knowledge of both. The odd ISQ requires a knowledge of DSMIV. I never bothered with DSMIV other than the odd bit or piece eg re attachment disorder- Pathogenic Care – an absolute requirement for DSMIV but not ICD10-nb trans-nationally adopted children for whom little is known of their parenting.

what amygdala has said is spot on.

knowledge of the ICD10 will determone how well you do in your exam. and if you get into any trouble, to argue for and against your diagnosis, you will need a sound knowledge of ICD10

i UK, wouldn't advice to argue with the examiners based on an american classification-the DSM IV. some of them may get irritated

DSM IV will be repeated in your MCQs and for discussions to know about the most comparable of illnesses,it is interesting to read as well so go through important things and you will enjoy it as well.

i was told to read the first few pages very well from DSM and also schizophrenia.i guess at my level that is fine and i will earn more as i get to part2.

even reading ICD isn't that easy apart from the common diagnosis, i find it hard to even remember many criteria!!

hello sinmu,

just one way of keeping the ICD-10 criteria in mind:

try applying it to ALL cases you see, whether in the OP clinic or Day hosp. or as in-patients.

use it diligently in your discharge summaries and bring it up with your consultant/ colleagues in discussions.

you'll find it getting much easier soon!