Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DK14

striking the balance

6 posts in this topic

hello friends,

I am just returning to work after a period of maternity leave, with a 11month old baby.

I have just given my first go at part 2. I dont know what to expect. However, I am extremely worried about looking after my family, working and if I fail this time, retaking the part 2 examination.

Those of you, who have been brave enough to do all this at the same time, could you suggest how you organised your time, what extra help you could get and how.

This is a real dilemma and I am more worried about it than the written results.

Thanks

I so understand what you're going through; I'm in exactly the same boat with a 22 month old baby and having just done the Part 2. I wish I had some pearls of wisdom for you (and myself). I am determined however, not to let my family situation dictate my career choices as I don't ever want to hear myself say 'I made all these sacrifices for you and THIS IS THE WAY YOU TREAT ME?'

A good compromise is to work part-time or as a flexible trainee: it will take longer but you get what you want.

hi kuntama,

thank you very much for your reply. I have been opening this post every few hours to see if anyone has given any ideas.

last few weeks prior to the exam, it is crucial to spend more time with books even if you have done consistent and gradual work previously. How did you manage this?

To be honest, I'm not really managing to do much work. My little one is in nursery for 3 and a half days per week and I work 3 days. The extra half- day is all I'm getting at the moment.

Best wishes.

Hi guys. I'm flexible training, with 3 kids (ages 10, 9 and 3). Took pt 1 in March and failed mcq- underestimated A) how bad my memory has got since finals 12 years ago (had a few yrs out of medicine) and B) how much work I would not be able to do because it can't be done until kids are in bed and I can spread it out on the table with out it getting covered in weetabix, playdough, orange juice etc. I could not do this full time, although it's infuriating to see people who started well after you whizzing past you on the career ladder...

My advice:

A)get your kid sleeping in a good routine asap if not already doing so , then you can guarantee some evening to work(Dr Richard Ferber-Solve your child's sleep problems- has to be the best book ever written and has rescued my sanity umpteen times)

B) Start EARLY

C) Never underestimate the toxic power of large doses of progesterone on LTM. And STM. And everything else.

D) Encourage fatherly/ grandmotherly/ neighbourly interest in your child

E) If necessary get out of the house to work, then they can't rely on you.

Hope this helps. Thank God I don't have to worry about Part 2 until Spring 2007. All the best.

I have a very similar worry. Passed part 1 at second attempt. Part 2 not till spring but I am concerned about what will happen if I don't pass 1st time. My son is at school now, so not as much work as a baby, but he still takes up a lot of time. Plus for mainly financial reasons I have to work full time. The deanery I am in will only offer 2.5 days /week part time, which is not enough.

I am lucky in that I have a supportive family, who are only too pleased to help out. I also found it helpful to go on courses if you can arrange the childcare because it's easier to concentrate.

Generally I agree with Ros!