Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest anne

DPM

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

i know the royal college of surgeons in ireland used to run the DPM (diploma in psychological medicne) but theyre not running it this yr, next sitting is nov 06. am just wondering if anyone knows anywhere else that runs this exam , without having to attent a course? when i search the net all i get are places that do a part or full time diploma, but im not interested in that. any help would be much appreciated!

Hi Anne,

Thats a toughie... The university of Nottingham runs a Diploma in medical sciences in clinical psychiatry (Dip med sci)....wonder if that is similar to the DPM youre talking about. Youre right it is a part time or full time taught course with four modules (over two years). However the universtiy has recently come out with an equivalence scheme wherein those with the MRC Psych could progress straight to the 3rd year (Masters or research year)....giving them diploma equivalence. I wonder if they would consider you (at least eligible to sit the module exams) if youve got some relevant experience.

I would suggest that you contact the university directly through its website www.nottingham.ac.uk . They may be able to help.

I hope this is of some use to you. All the best.

if i am not wrong,

courses like the DipMed Science are for people in rotation in the area and as you said it is a 2 year course,

what anne asks is the DPm that was available for anyone to take exams to attain an extra degree which is an obsolete programme now.but i'm unsure about anymore details. sorry if i am wrong.

leeds also does MMed Psych programme but it is a 4 year part time coursse.nothing like the irish DPM!

Am looking for easy option, dont really want to commit to a few years. Ah well, it was worth a shot!

thanks guys :)

Hi anne if u r interested in getting a diploma there is dcp(diploma in clinical psychiatry ireland ) check rcpi website u can sit for it as long as u ve spent 6months in psychiatry.

tHE dcp has just been held last week,I think its only once a year but check The Royal College Of Surgeons website.Loads of people apply so u have to make sure that ur application is in on the opening day to get a place.

Re the DPM(diploma in psychological medicine)This exam was half psych/half neurology.I did it a couple of years ago.As far as I know they are reformatting it and its not going to be held this year.I think it wont be held again til nov06, I hope this is of some help :lol: :lol: :lol:

DCP is conducted by royal college of physician of ireland and exam space has just been increase from 25 to 60  candidates now, so more candidates are able to sit for this exams