Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robbas

Jury service

7 posts in this topic

Just a quick query. I've been 'summoned' to jury service. I would quite like to do it as would be interesting and give me good experience especially as I'm thinking about a career in Forensics. But my clinical tutor isn't happy as PCT would have to pay for locum. But Med Staffing have told me noone can stop me doing it as its my right as a citizen. I don't want to really upset people but...

what do people think?

I do not really know the in's and out's of the law on this in this country but isn't jury duty considered to be compulsory? You can only avoid it if you have specific reasons i.e. health, conflict of interests, etc. Personally, if you are interested and might help in your personal and professional development, I do not see why not!

http://www.jcptgp.org.uk/about/2005-05-24.asp

This is a gp website but mentions this issue. You have to scroll down a bit to find the relevant paragraph.

It seems the law has changed so doctors are not exempt from jury service any more.  I don't think they can argue with you about the cost of locums, however the college may have a problem with the amount of time you miss.

Hope it's helpful.

thank you Hermit; definitely useful link.

interesting to know such tidbits of info methinks. will you let us know what you finally decided Robbas? and perhaps later on if you did serve on a jury tell us of your experience? thanks.

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago when I was summond for a jury service. I wrote to them and asked them to release me from this responsibility as I am a doctor and cannot leave my work ,which they did.

It will be interesting to learn from your experience.

one of my friends is doing jury service and i know she is enjoying it.she works part time so she does not have much problems.she has asked for excuse when work clashed with the jury service.

robbas, tell us what happened.

Just asking for an update. So Robbas, did you managed to get time off for jury duty? Or the non communication from you over the past month means you have are currently on Jury duty and stuck somewhere in a hotel with no communication with the outside world! :D