Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sands73

visa to ireland

6 posts in this topic

Does anybody know how long it takes to arrange for a visa to go to Ireland(Dublin), in case we are unfortunate enough to have our clinical exams there?

I was asked to go to dublin for my part 1 clinicals but my passport was already with the us embassy for the visa. the college allowed me for a change of venue on these grounds.

Later, I asked the Irish embassy for part 2 beforehand and they assured me that if you have the letter from the college mentioning the venue, it can be done in a week by post or same day if you can visit the embassy yourself. this was in 2004 spring.

Not sure if they have changed the rules since then.

Congrets for passing written exams and best of luck for the clinicals. Make sure you have some practice of the obseved interview for the long case. people sometime overlook that and this is the most important part of the long case as examiners can see how you get information out ie the history taking skills.

good luck

what do u mean 'unfortunate enough to go to ireland?

I could think of worse places

besides most Irish doctors have to traipse across the Irish sea to a variety of accents dialects and of course the stiff upper lipped examiners for their clinical exams.

I did not mean to tell anything against Irish people or Ireland. What I meant was the hassle of arranging for the visa at such short notice,and preparing for the exam at the same time,if I have to go to Ireland for the exam.

I tried to arrange a visa for a holiday to Ireland years ago before obtaining a british passport and it took so long that I missed my holiday having booked flights , accomodation ...etc.

On a more positive note, I did my exam in Ireland ( swords) and it was a pleasant experience, but did not require a visa that time.

I would recommend asking for a change of venue as visa hassles are the last thing you need.

Does anybody know how long it takes to arrange for a visa to go to Ireland(Dublin), in case we are unfortunate enough to have our clinical exams there?

It usually takes a week for irish embassey to deal with requests , i would suggest you go to submit the application and arrange to go to collect it as well, it's a hassle but on the more positive side i hear people going to ireland have had a very good experience and results seem to be better as well

I am not sure if college would be willing to listen to change exam venue on visa grounds as so many of my friends , including other specialities , have gone to ireland for there exam.

Good Luck