Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rewant

Multi-Disciplinary team work

13 posts in this topic

Multi-disciplinary team work is a buzz word not only in Psychiatry but in other medical specialties.Some doctors don't like multi-disciplinary culture because it has its own problem and patients do suffer because of its round-about phenomenon,some doctors just agree with MDT work culture because they don't want to be called difficult and patronising,but some doctors believe that MDT principle is a modern way of working and is a no return culture.Who is loosing or who is gaining, profession,patient,or politics?What are advantages and disadvantages of MDT work in psychiatry?Of course it sounds very familiar!

main advantage - the routine crap is done by someone else, leaving me time to do the important stuff.

main disadvantage - they don't do it the way i would.

I think the hierarchy of status must be maintained in MDT model of working.RMO should be the incharge,equipped with the skill as how to maximize the favourable output,using the potential of other members of the team.And yes I do think that there is no second place in MDT and a psychologist is just as equal to as a good social/occupational worker :)

yes all well and good if the person on the front line can actually do a decent assessment. There have been a flurry of ABT teams with the initial assessment done by the 'duty worker'....great load off the shos ...except their reports are of variable quality. I admit that some SHOs may be poorer in their assessment that say a particular CPN but unfortunately that is not the norm (i mean that in the sense that it would be nice to have more 'generic' MH workers or CPN who could).

Multi Disciplinary Team Work !

In my experience, it is neither Multi(mostly doctors, nurses), nor is it disciplined( the discussion always starts before everyone presents their reports), nor is it a team(as quite often there is a dynamic between 2 disciplines).Work(if passing the buck is work, then we do it!)

Now MDT work(Thats a contradiction in terms !)

J,

How is it multidisciplinary if all you want them to do is what you want(my interpretation of your post, I may be wrong though)?

the first part of my post is what new ways of working says the should be doing. the second part of the post is my version of what most docs think about nww.

for the last couple of years i have worked in good teams that work well as teams. they have been working very much in the nww model. it seems pretty good to me. my current team have worked without a permanent consultant for 6 years until a month ago. they have got used to the idea that they make decisions with their patients about the care provided. i don't have a problem with that. i advise. the patient choses whether or not to follow the advice. the other staff do the same.

J,

Are you working in General Adult? just out of curiosity.

Teams working without consultant, sounds very much like that.

i'm working half time eis and half time continuing needs (which sounds a bit like rehab but actually means the psychosis and bipolar part of GA but not pd, anxiety, depression, etc).

and just to clarify my above post, there were consultants for most of the time, but not substantive consultants.

technically yes. i'm still waiting for my cct paperwork (though finished spr training almost 2 months ago), but i have been appointed as a substantive consultant.