Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest lyra

gmc - new ruling

40 posts in this topic

i've had a letter from the gmc dated 11/7

i am under supervision because of bipolar disorder

information about doctors with medical conditions will now be available on an internet search from the end of july! i've had 2and a half weeks notice at best , i was a away with a friend so got it today.

i will leave the register before this happens to me 'once placed on the online search facility the information will remain available as historical information should your registration status change'

i suspect that there are a lot of docs in this situation and predominantly with mental health problems .please reply if you are one of them. or if you are supportive. i've been qualified 9 years and never endangered a patient. i will not be a doctor under these circumstsances. letter dated 11/ 7/5 ...........action at the end of the month ......dad would have said 'there is sculdugerry going on'

otherwise please read and consider what the gmc are capable of

thanks

This is absolute nonsense. There is no reason for you to be put under supervision. Doctors day and day out end up being negligent and the GMC first holds an elaborate inquiry for it, so there is no justification to put you under supervision if you have not endagered patients in any way. I am sure your psychiatrist, who must be well aware of the nature of your job, can give you a supporting letter to comment on your ability to practice.I wish you all the best and will keep my fingers crossed for you. I think you should definitely fight this, as it comes across an if the GMC is discriminating, they would not put someone under supervision for a physical illness

and they should not do so in your case as well. You have understanding and insight about your illness and am sure on regular treatment. Moreover now they are braeching confidentiality as well. All GMC good practice guidelines talk about confidentiality and then they are not even protecting their own. This is grossly unfair.

:-X :-X this is appalling.Very Very distressing indeed :-/

How come you have not yet changed your status to MRCpsych?

Have you read the unquiet mind? :-*

iyra,

i'm not sure if GMC can disclosse illnesses on the internet about doctors or as a matter of fact anyone. that may be breach of confidential information and i think you should get in touch with your defence union as soon as possible.

2 1/2 weeks of notice is appalling. the GMC seems to be showing discrimination here.i think this is ridiculous.

Certainly seems as if the GMC is dishing out a whole load of c**p. the whole notion seems ridiculous, they are breaching confidentiality themselves unless u agree for such info to be available on the net and the notice period just seems like a joke.

i wonder if u shud pen ur thoughts to them and also contact the BMA?

thanks

today i have contacted the bma who said they could not help as they cannot influence the gmc

i phoned the gmc who seemed to be incapable of understanding why i do not want to be listed on there site as under fitness to practice proceedings for medical reasons

i contacted the mps who thankfully did understand and think its disproportionate and will challenge them.

the only way i can stop this from happening is to be discharged from the supposedly 'supportive ' gmc supervision ( i have an appt tomorrow) or voluntarily remove myself from the list ie stop practicing medicine.

of note the fitness to practice proceedings concluded that i was fit but should have a supervisor.

once this goes on the net it stays forever.

i do not understand how this is supposed to be helpful to any body

my doctor friends are appalled and it's clear from your replies so are you. we are the only professionals to be treated in this way..........i think harold shipman has a lot to answer for.

i will keep you updated, i'm very grateful for your support and i feel it's important for all doctors to be aware of this situation.

Dear lyra,

This is surely a huge breach of your confidentiality, being under supervision is no-one's business except your own - there is no way the general public should be able to access such information and I can't believe that the GMC are spending our registration fees on such nonsense.

Good luck and I hope they see sense.

And in passing, why do the BMA have no influence over the GMC - I thought they were our trade union and your problem sounds like just the sort of thing that they should be able to do something about!

Lyra,

it is unfortunate that GMC makes such one sided decisions without consulting the parties involved.

I dont know what else to say, but we will all support you if you take things up further, in any possible way.

Will this happen to any other profession? Really annoying.

This is shocking! I was not aware that GMC is giving this confidential information to anyone on the web. After reading the above given posts I've checked the GMC website and went in to 'check fitness to practise decisions' and found that this information is freely available just with a click of a button simply by feeding the name of the person. This is just another way of GMC trying to cover their backs from the media & public in the background of enquiries against doctors. It is ironical that GMC is suppose to be the guide for all of us in promoting confidentiality.

It would surely make sense to come off the supervision register. Having said this it would be important that you delegate someone informally to reliably do such supervision for you.

yes , you are right there already is a list.

i was protected for health reasons but no longer. Saw my GMC supervisor tonight for 90 minutes . he didn't know about it! took the letter . he said that even if he recommended discharge they (gmc ) don't listen.

i agreed to a set of 'undertakings' with the gmc..........if you don't agree you risk disciplinary action and suspension. one of them is as follows.

'to permit the gmc to disclose the 1-4 to any person requesting information about her registration status.

1. to keep her professional commitments under reviewand limit her medical practice in accordance with her medical supervisors advice.

2. to obtain the prior approval of her medical supervisorof the suitability of any post for which she may consider applying.

3. to cease work immediately if her medical supervisor so advises

4. to inform any organisation or person employing her to undertake medical work, including any locum agency or deputising service, or potential employer at the time when she is applying for a post , that she is subject to supervision under the fitness to practise procedures and inform them of the above undertakings 1 to 3 restricting her practice and the name of her medical supervisor.

i didn't read it in the way i read it now. i have written a letter withdrawing my consent .........this is likely to result in disciplinary action and suspension

all i can keep saying is regardless of my illness in 9 years of practice i have not had a complaint!!!!!!!!!!! from patients or colleagues. . i will fight this but i'm afraid i have to accept that i will lose my job as a result.

i have a choice ....keep quiet because i am scared of the gmc's power or fight and take the consequences.

dad who died 4 weeks ago was a militant trade union man...........his advice to me was 'see all hear all say nowt'.........and don't do what i do but what i say!,.but i respect him for standing up for what he believed in

i intend to do the same but i won't go down quietly!

contacted the college and within an hour was thro to the chief exec!

they are listening

voice your concerns

many thanks

well done lyra. You are putting your career on the line which is a very brave thing to do - the easy way out would be to just roll over and accept whatever the GMC's latest hare-brained scheme is.

But if no-one stands up and protests, nothing will ever change!

So WELL DONE again and please keep posting updates on this forum - I think this situation you're in is one which a lot of doctors are in, or may find themselves in in the future.

Hi Lyra,

It may help if some of us individually wrote to the college voicing our concerns about this. But before doing this I wanted to know what you and others on the forum thought about this.

Any other ways that we might be able to help? We all need to get behind her and our other colleagues on this.

Awaiting your opinion.

All the best

in view of the fact that my letter was dated the 11th july with it going live on 1st august and that the only person so far that knew about this before i spoke to them was my mps caseworker...........not even my gmc supervisor! i think the more shouting the better, they are clearly trying to avoid a backlash!

i have also heard that they are saying health related issues will not be disclosed but i have written on this site what they have told me will be which is clearly related to my health! as were the fitness to practice proceedings which concluded i was fit to practice aaaagh!

the mps are writing on my behalf but say that the gmc will probably go ahead any way.

the only thing i don't want to do just yet is for the general media to get hold of it and advertise it as a site to be looked at!

the college have a copy of the letter i received from the gmc and appear to be taking it seriously i will let you know of any response i receive.

I think it might be better to take some legal advise too. This is something your Defence Union could advise you on and I wonder if your Trust's legal advisors could suggest anything though I am not sure if this would fall in their remit of responsibilities. Have you discussed this with your own consultant supervisor.

Its very sad to know about your father and these events happening so close to your personal loss must surely be quite upsetting for you.

By posting the developments here your colleagues can help share this problem with you and suggest ideas.

Hang in there and don't loose hope.

Lyra,

You definitely have my support. If you want to have a signature compaign initiated, you just have to post it here and I am sure you will have ample support from many of us. All the best

if any of you can think of how to contact other doctors affected please let me know.

i've posted on dr's . net forum.

i know that if this had happened 18months ago i would have buckled , not fought. i was ashamed and stigmatised then. i am willing to forgoe my own confidentiality ...........when I choose.

i think that i need a lawyer ..so does everyone else affected ....i can't afford to pay for a court case on my own but together i think we could.

in terms of any petition , that should go to the GMC.

something along the lines of

details on current restriction regulations pertaining to doctors health should not be available on an open internet site

suggestions gratefully received and how to do it

thanks for your support , i really appreciate it

iyra,

first, all our support is with you. your courage to fight the GMC is to be appreciated and supported by the defence unions.

what irritates me is the GMC talk so much about patient confidentiality and that we can not disclose information about patients to the extent that even in simple case conferences we are not allowed to say the names but use only initials but they are going to publish information about doctors who are unwell on the internet?? that is very very stupid!

i know others like us may not be of any use but if you want to start a group of people to get their support letter against s ruling like this, let us know, many of us i am sure will be ready to help you. good wishes.

got a reply from the GMC on saturday basically ignoring my withdrawal of permission to disclose info and saying they will go ahead to protect public interests.

i've never done anything wrong at work and don't deserve this it makes me look like i'm a dodgy doctor!

interestingly i dug out my 2 medical reports

1 said

i recommend that.......name.........is fit to practice generally without any limitiations on her practice or need for medical supervision

the second said that he recommended medical supervision on the basis that bipolar is a relapsing and remitting condition

and that he would do it (he's not my treating doctor.......he is being fully supportive)

i hope he's getting paid well!!!!!!!!!!!

i intend to appeal the initial decision.

this is all very wearing and worrying the GMC have just turned into a monster organisation.

Lyra,

Why don't you also post on the forum on doctors.net.uk, you will also have a larger audience and support. Moreover, you might be able to discover more people in similar position as yours. All the best

this is appauling,

GMC is stigmatising psychiatry, while royal college is fighting against it.

how about taking advise from them?

fair enough having a supervisor,and taking his advise. but putting your name on the register??

but why??

dear lyra

i think you're very brave and you have my full backing in this fight.

it is apathy at its worst. the GMC has become all powerful with no regards for its own members.

please don't give up. you are a driving force on this forum & i'm sure all of us pitching in will help.

an update

although i have withdrawn my 'permission to disclose' apparently when i agreed to the initial undertakings i did so 'indefinately' therefore they can go ahead without it.

i am now in breach of my undertakings and will be referred back to the case examiner who will look at the 2 initial reports. as i have said 1 says no need for medical supervision the other doesn't. as i understand it i can't present additional info at that stage and as such am not expecting a more favourable outcome.

i then choose whether to agree to the undertakings or not......... i will not.

then i go back to fitness to practice proceedings. at that time i can present additional info.

so far this includes

letter from treating doctor......

prof young .........mmmmmm somehow i think he might know what he's talking about when it comes to bipolar.

and 5 consultants who have agreed to write stating they had no concerns about my fitness to practice when i worked for them. this takes me from august 2001 to now.

of course this will take months, meanwhile

1. as ever i continue to work

2. the info goes on the internet

because they state'safeguarding public interest' the data protection act does not apply.

in my opinion i'm either fit to practice or not and beyond that it's no business of the publics nor have i ever been a danger.

i have posted on doctor. net forum under GMC and

i'm awaiting a response from vanessa cameron RCPsych.

so thats where i'm at. i don't expect to win but will keep fighting this outrageous nonsense.

Hi Lyra,

Appaling and disgusting ........ so the price to pay for bieng a doctor is to be ready for the whole world to know what you are going throug...absolutely unacceptable .You definitely have our support and i think it is time for the doctors to stand up for the limitless criticism by the media....as if doctors are the most dangerous and man eating breed on earth. Please don't loose hope and i am sure the court will decide in your favour.

Best of luck for the future.