Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
othello

Concerns over Consultant - what to do?

24 posts in this topic

I am just looking for some advice off everyone. What would you do if you had major conerns over a consultant you work with? And by this I mean concerns that they frequently misdiagnose patients and put them on HUGE doses of antipsychotic medication and mood stabilisers that they do not need in the first place. eg. labelling personality disorder, drug dependence, even schizophrenia as bipolar disorder.

Any advice from anyone?

There are so many people in the sick role because of this consultant and I genuinely worry that patients are being done harm, by seeing him.

clinical tutor or clinical lead would be my first choice to get my concerns notified.

play it diplomaticaly.

how long are you with that consultant?

My advice is just get out from there asap cause if you hang on there for long u will considered an accomplice in his sins! :o

i dont think u can do much .different consultants have different ways of working and you are not the first on who would have noticed that.The other consultants must be aware of their colleagues actions becoz you do have cross over of pateitns bet consultants from time to time.

Just finish ur post n learn that u won't be like this consultant.

1) Compile a list of evidence

2) Write to the lead consultant with your concerns

3) Copy your Clinical Tutor / scheme organiser into the letter

You have a professional obligation to 'whistle-blow'. Read the guidance on the GMC website.

If you are a member of the MDU/MPS, you may wish to get their opinion on how to word the letter.

I agree with the Webmaster but wonder whether the 'whistle-blower' will be protected, would his anonymity be protcted?, would there be any future implications, such as being (unofficially) blacklisted by other consultants/ future employers?

hi

this sounds like a potential pmp

by any chance do you work in the priory?

webmaster is right, but i think the whistle-blower must have a lot of guts to take his whistle out of his pocket and blow!! :lol:

I doubt whoever it is will even have the force in his breath to sound the whistle so loud that others concerned will be able to hear :-/

be very diplomatic and don't move unless you have concrete evidence to prove ur stance...

complaints against peers are difficult to prove...

so would imagine this would require monumental evidence...

be very careful...

also speak to MDU or similar organisations before going public...

as webmaster said... good advice...

:-?

Fate of Whistle - blowers in UK : most are F....ed

Sorry to be undiplomatic

what u are trying to prove ..is extremely difficult to do so

On paper ...u are encouraged to report to GMC, U will be protected as a whistle blower..and blah blah blah and blah

Reality: u will have to fend for urself

Will not say much more: read recent issue of hospital doctor and recent panorama on the NHS (Breast Cancer related programme) for fate of whistle blowers

My friend othello,

There is nothing much to say, you have to be very careful in this country.Everyone is looking for a scapegoat.so if u whistle-blow or for that matter blow a huge trumpet,the one who is going to answer the most questions is 'YOU'.

What u can do is hire a BBC photographer and film the whole case conference on a friday morning, but even then I doubt the GMC would buy it and instead say'may be we all are visually hallucinating, the english/EU consultant cant be wrong'!

So finish ur job and fly away from there asap!

cheers

hi prince scorpio....

i find most of ur comments offensive and non productive....

complaints against consultants whether asian or english or european will be difficult to prove....

please don't paint a racist colour to all issues and reduce the credibility of our good arguements....

cheers....

whistle blowing is certainly not a good idea in this scenario

It is though most important to get in touch with MPS/MDU for their take on the matter.

What about an informal word with the training lead? (take it on from that angle).

i do feel for u being in such a difficult position :-X

do let us know how u got on -if you can.

good luck!

i know of one SHO who contacted the college tutor regarding his consultant saying he was never there for supervision during clinics, ward rounds.the college tutor spoke to the consultant who obviously got offended, and put the blame on the SHO saying he didnt do any work.The SHO went to another post in next 6 months n unluckily was under a consultant who was the previous consultants good friend...so he had it..2 bad referees in a row who were not ready to sponsor him for GMC reg ...the college tutor backed out as well...saying no other SHO had any complaints ag the 2 consultants....

so Guys be v careful if u want to take such a big step...

Othello who strted this thread has not bothered to post a second reply

I thnk he had just made up something to start something controversial

I think we should not post more replies

By the way harihv, princescorpio may be right this time: GMC's book of punishment shows that it is more likely to punish overseas doctors than local doctors..whatever the reason may be

Mr.Harihv,

I think u have a very narrow view of life.May be u are suffering from some form of inferiority complex or may be u are trying to make someone happy by taking up this RACE issue all the time I post a reply.What I want to tell you is plz dont read my comments if u have the obssessive urge to interpret it wrong everytime.So dont try to paint a gr8 picture of urself on the forum, tell u wot u wont get anywhere by playing dramas in your life, be honest and u will be respected >:(

cheers

so far,everyone has 'sentenced' this consultant without trial!

who says othello is right about her concerns??

we all know that b4 the operational diagnosis era and the ECA study,psychiatrists across the pond diagnosed most schizophrenics as bipolar....and remember the debate on unitary psychosis!!

othello is a post-part1 SHO....can she reasonably claim to have superior knowledge to this consultant??

can we be dealing with OTHELLO syndrome here??

call it all d names u will,but lets not hasten to hang the cat!

no offence.

dear prince scorpio

i can see from ur response that u've completely missed the point i was making...

i was not rying to say racism doesn't exist....

i was only trying to say if we say all the problems are due to racism our voices won't be heard...

this is from personal experience in this country....

there are times when we need to make racism the central point of the issue and in my opinion this wasn't one of them...

if we discuss this in the context of racism the main issue at hand loses its credibility... i.e. the consultant's incompetence(if so)...

sorry if my wording was not right and if i had offended you...

prince scorpio...

continuing from the prvious post

although i would take ur comments on board pls refrain from telling me what i need to do be respected.....

i have not come this far without knowing that....

also we r in danger of deviating from the main discussion here, so i'm leaving this matter here....

if u need to post anything more to justifying urself, pls do so but im leaving this discussion with u....

again the intent was not to offend u...

pls do no take it personally...

I am just looking for some advice off everyone. What would you do if you had major conerns over a consultant you work with? And by this I mean concerns that they frequently misdiagnose patients and put them on HUGE doses of antipsychotic medication and mood stabilisers that they do not need in the first place. eg. labelling personality disorder, drug dependence, even schizophrenia as [highlight]bipolar disorder[/highlight].

Any advice from anyone?

There are so many people in the sick role because of this consultant and I genuinely worry that patients are being done harm, by seeing him.

i think the consultnat is doing some research in bipolar disorder :lol: :'(

i agree with OMC, diagnosis isn't clear cut, consultants often differ and presentation can change over years.

it's easy to miss bipolar and its not unusual for diagnosis to be delayed ...10 years post onset.

maybe you should ask your consultant why they think the person has bipolar and not what you think they have ....they may be right and have some words of wisdom for you.

going to the GMC seems pretty outrageous to me at this stage

Wait Guys, there is something fishy about this thread!!

The guy who posted this thread Mr.Othello neva said anything after so many replies which is a bit concerning.He shouid be just sitting and watching the fun and havin a gud laf at all of us who is responding to this thread.If he had real concerns then he must have kept us informed about how his work was going on and what he's plans are after getting so much advise from so many people!

I THINK THE SENSIBLE THING WOULD BE NOT TO RESPOND ANYMORE TO THIS THREAD AS IT DOES SEEM TO BE BOGUS!!!

completely agree...

stop posting on this thread pls.....

>:(