Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yvrr

Nurse Prescribing1

20 posts in this topic

I am reposting in general chat section:

What do you docs think about nurse prescribing? Apparently they need 38days training to prescribe meds. Recently I read Nurses and Senior Pharmacists can prescribe all meds except controlled drugs, ofcourse after the course. So what you think?

Well I guess every one is aware of pros and cons, whatever is the case its astonishing to know that neither Service users nor Doctors have no say in this. Any issue has hidden agendas which public wont be knowing . I wish luck to nurses as I feel its certainly a risky thing to do.

Well! the day that happens on grounds, i am goin to resign.

I am not entirely sure whether they can prescribe anything by themselves that to for the first time and a medication which was not in the Rx plan.

jiggs dont come to any radical decisions :). I will soon post some interesting strange facts from NIMH

This is from BBC.co.uk. URL link at the end of msg.

Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt has given the green light to the move to free up GPs for more complex care.

But doctors' leaders have branded it 'irresponsible and dangerous'.

Prescribing powers have been gradually rolled out to nurses and pharmacists over recent years, but so far it has been limited to drugs for minor injuries and palliative care.

The latest measures mean nurses and pharmacists will be able to prescribe treatments for more serious conditions such as heart disease and diabetes - traditionally the domain of GPs.

Only controlled drugs, such as diamorphine, will be exempted when the reforms kick in in the spring

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4424112.stm#

Watch the video as well

This has so many implications in terms of roles of team members...

I have no objection to nurses being able to prescribe paracetamol or lactulose, but when it comes to psychotropics etc i think medical knowledge is required that goes beyond a 38 day course. I'm not sure what exactly nurses would be able to prescribe.

I think we as doctors need to make sure we keep our knowledge up to date and can justify our role within the team. Nurses are being given responsibility in assessing, treating, prescribing, all of which is good but i feel we have to stay ahead of the game and make sure that if the nurses are prescribers, we are expert prescribers with far wider medical and pharmacological knowledge. I have to say at present I wouldn't put myself into that category.

I don't wish to offend any nurses - I don't think it should be a hierarchichal thing, more that we have different but equal roles. Psychiatric nursing is a job I don't think I could do. However, I don't see why they should then be expected to take on the role of a prescriber.

Hi all,

If you want to have ur say Pl participate in poll. I will remove it soon

Thanks

I think that I may speak for all SHO's who have ever been woken at 3am to prescibe paracetemol or lactulose when I say that limited nurse prescibing would be a welcome thing.......

:'( i am sure they will do a good job of it, but like all proffessionals, i do not want my livelihood taken away, diluted, not regulated. i can weld 2 pipes together, make electrical connections but do not do it as i have no qualifications to do it, :-/ nurses are welcome to do a medical degree albiet a shortened one, get abused by seniors, stay up late, competetively apply for jobs and then prescribe.

it is too late to moan now anyway. >:( >:( >:(

I say nursing prescribing is a fantastic idea!!

Seriously all they need to do is a slight secondment, u know to learn about some clin pharm, basic sciences, who knows a bit of pathology. They could do it at a 'medical school', and it should probably last around 4 years. AFter that, I am more than happy just to hand over the FP10 (well maybe need slight persuation).

More seriously though the govn white paper is suggesting a 26 day secondment/course for pharmacists/nurses before allowing prescribing 'more widely' !! I mean what is the point of selecting pupils with 3As at A-level, 5-6 years of learning (ah-hem ;) ) and at least 1 years of working before being given 'free reigns'. And even then ....

sounds like a cheap, underqualified doctor to me ...but hey i'm probably being cynical cause good ol' Mike Shooter is about to realise his dream of turning us all into 'generic mental health workers'!!!

8)

Should have modified poll with more clearer options. Replies and the votes arent matching!!! :-/

Thankyou all ,the poll will end today at 10pm, but U can still post ur views.

My view is that we doctors are a pricey bunch. We are also quite clever, by and large, and tend to think outside the box. Nurses have less academic selection pressure put on them to get into nursing courses, and by and large they are protocol driven. In addition to being protocol driven and less likely to think outside the box they are less likely to question those pesky politicians. And they're cheaper.

The medical degree is under direct attack by these reforms/ proposals- it will lose its value as currency. No trade would voluntarily give up its monopoly, none except for medicine that is. Hold on- need to bend over for HMG- nah, don't need more vaseline- on you go...

:-? ::) :-/

i agree with tom!

think outside the box when prescribing, only doctors can do that. following a protocol to prescribe, who knows digoxin can be accidentally prescribed for digene then!! scary thought!

but for things like lactulose and paracetamol, yes yes!! nurses can prescribe!! give me my extra 15 minutes of uninterrupted sleep!

Well its official now. Great. 45 or 30 days training? anyway. I think it could be more economically effective if this 30/45 days training is included in final years of school itself. And if someone doesnt attend school, this training videos can be sent free to them or it should be aired in BBC so that they will learn. Then everyone can prescribe for themselves, and can save loads of money for NHS. No need for doctors/nurses/or anyone who thinks he has to be paid for his service

>:(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4955428.stm