Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dontknow

clothes

20 posts in this topic

what kind of clothes do people like wearing to work/I am not a suit person,so i find hard wearing suits but admire my colleagues who do.I wonder if this affects the way the patients and senior colleagues perceive one.Does anyone wear their traditional clothes or is there anyone out there who is unique e.g wearing dreadlocks,male with pierced ear or female with pink hair?

i wear formal shirt and trousers and tie if it isn't summer. i don't think it really matters to patients (lots of other things to worry about) but if they have to accept your advice i assume they would prefer someone who dresses his role rather than a doc pierced from head to toe. i don't know if suit makes a difference i know people who wear suits and speak rubbish, mayor ken for instance!!!

wear formal shirt but no tie...

bad experience of patient pulling me by the tie....

even i get to the stage of wearing suits(if i get to it)

think will still wear no tie unless for occasions...

:)

worked with a reg who did a survey on what patients want docs and nurses to wear...

no surprises here...

docs to be formal and nurses to wear uniform.....

did not like piercings or tatoos or jeans on professionals... found this the most annoying apparently....

:P

i wear formals too.. no tie though... wear it only if consultant insists or if i need to look more professional..

i dont fall shy of waearing the casual stufff (no T-shirts) when i am on a weekend or night shift.. feel relaxed in it.. and its much more comfortable !!!!

would like to see nurses in uniforms rather than whatever they wear... sometimes u get confused between some of the professionals and the patients !!!! and u know what i mean here...

definitely dislike piercings and tattoos on professionals.. especially the ones that show clearly.. u pierce ur navel.. and dont show it... that s fine..

but its a free country and ppl are free to express themselves, arent they !!!!

i would love to get rid of my ties but my senior male colleagues all wear suits, the females wear business jackets ,it's kind of a silent code of dress.the most i can get away is with wearing shirt and tie.

Let's face, there's little to choose between nurses and patients sometimes...some staff don't wear I.D, so distinguishing them further is even harder!!

I wear a shirt and tie with smart trousers and shoes, apart from when I'm on nights, when I wear a plain jumper. First impressions do count and it's important that we give an ppportunity for our patients to take us seriously.

Some of my colleagues in other specialties have commented on badly dressed psychiatrists, which isn't nice.

I work in forensics and everyone is suited and booted. I personally think it adds to an air of professionalism, though some people will see this as shallow.

With regards to lots of piercings, there was an MRCS candidate who had an ear stud and failed his viva five times...on his sixth attempt he removed his ear stud and passed. I find multiple piercings...tongue, lip, chin, eyebrow etc repulsive. It's a big thing in Leeds and studies have shown that the number of piercings is inversely proportional to I.Q!

Oh yeah...Ken Livingstone is God, so no slagging him off on this forum please!!! :)

Clothes make the man

As doctors I think we should try to look out best, may not be possible always. I know, so many SHOs dont like wearing ties in Psychiatry. I agree it may be for safety reasons particularly in Forensics/IPCU. But if its not an occupational hazard, a tie can be useful in more than one ways. It basically reflects your personality and it can tell a lot about you without even opening your mouth...I never hesitate to spend on good ties ;)

I find this particular site useful

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Index.htm

Hmm... must be a regional thing re: impression of how good psychiatrist dress. When I was training up in Aberdeen, the general impression was that psychiatrists were very well dressed. Could be age clouding my memory but almost all, inc SHOs were wearing suits.

I found this quote quite interesting!;):);)

'Naked people have little or no influence on society”  

Mark Twain

Seriously speaking, I think formal clothes do make a difference - not only with patients but with other colleagues as well!

Clothes make the man.

'Naked people have little or no influence on society”  

Mark Twain

;):);)

[smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

well i have stopped wearing a tie coz pt trying to pull it

n new nhs finding

ties r resistant transmitters of mrsa n other bugs

i wear jeans n jumper on on calls

suit without tie for formal work

will like to go with ear piercing

most female nurses got tattoo s n piercing at nearly alll places one can think of

but it adds spice to otherwise monotonous routinue

8-) 8-)

:lol:

it is a tie and shirt, but no suit for me (yet)....

I also wear these when on call!

I am open to tatoos and piercing, but I don't think I would go for it!

Not very impressed with female colleagues who dress slightly inappropriately....you know what I mean...! We are dealing with patients that some times are very sexually deprived, so we need to keep a lot for their imagination....

here are a few papers....

enjoy!

http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/(cauoum45bjxp1bjubag3fd55)/app/home/contribution.asp?referrer=parent&backto=issue,10,15;journal,63,65;linkingpublicationresults,1:100637,1

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/search/expand?pub=infobike://els/09249338/1996/00000011/90000004/art89305&unc=

;)

I usually wear a shirt and tie and formal/casual trousers, sometimes with a jacket if I feel like it. During autumn and winter, I wear a jumper or a cardigan. But then again, I like to wear a variety of clothes...

Ties - from skinny ties to mad colourful ties - no cartoons though! (had a comment about where I get my ties!)

Jumpers/cardigans - from apple green to black

Sometimes I put a casual twist on what I wear - like wearing enigmatic badges on a jacket

I'm in the summer mood at the moment and I don't know if I could get away wearing white trousers!

Used to work with a consultant who wears cargo trousers and sandals to work. It was hilarious, but he is a good doctor. His patients love him.

cargo trousers are pretty much like these... loose trousers with big pockets on the sides. Some styles just have an elastic waist.

360391271R_2.jpg

This is obviously a nicer pair than the ones my consultant wears.

Women in general can get away bit more with clothes than men do don't they? well,

i have worked with a consultant in the past who cared no crap about what people think. he wore jeans and T-shirt to Ward rounds, sometimes just semi formals. He however made sure when he was in the eye- i mean in tribunals or courts he wore immaculate suits!

i also had a lady colleague who had piercings,only a couple on her face though! another lady consultant with the brightese coloured hair from time to time but they were all Brilliand clinicians and most repected by their patients!

i agree with M.twain, without formal clothes, i may not look much of a doctor! so almost always double cuffed shirts and on days that warrant a suit, i do wear them. as a consultant i will most definitely wear a suit everyday i think. lets see.

hi

I tend to wear a bit formal wear for ward rounds and clinics while for the other days I am a bit more casual.When I am casual patients and staff relate to me as a person ..friends

I have noticed people do listen to you both when you are casual n more formal as long as you know what your tone is like...firm

i agree with eureka on this.i tend to go in formals for ward rounds ,clinics and on oncall days.on the days i dont have to see a new patient i go in casuals.in psychiatry we have that option unlike other specialities.

Its the way we carry ourselves that matters.

Is there a danger that being too well dressed will create a barrier for the patient to negotiate ? How about wearing a smart suit so the patient gets a sense of respectability but then discarding jacket & tie ?