salwa

diploma in clinical psychiatry in dublin

16 posts in this topic

i want to ask if the course in Manchester for osce can help me in this diploma?

this diploma witten mcq and essay and long case examination with oral

please help.

Salwa,

one of my friends took up that diploma exam in Dublin and she said that the exam was pretty straight forward and easier than part1 MRCPsych however she was reading the traditional books for it and not materials.

materials are geared up for the membership exams in particular so they will be useful but i think you would know not to expect all questions to be from the materials!

good luck!

thanks for ur reply , can u send to me e. mail or tel. of ur friend , because i want informations from someone took this exam,

my e. mail salwazaher@hotmail.com

thanks alot

u do not need all the part one knowledge for this exam. the paper is largely based on a book called psychiatry for primary care written by patricia casey - u need to know that book well. the clinic is a long case with observed interview, so osce course would not really be of benefit. the exam is aimed at GPs so anyone with good knowledge and experience of psych should not have a problem with it.

thanks for ur help, iam studying from oxford core text (280 pages) is that ok?is it enough time to enter exam in 24 october?

can u write to me ur e. mail?

i am living in Belfast .uk

thanks alot

Go to http://www.rcpi.ie  and search for DCP .

Yes cartainly , anyone with 6 months experience can take it. Even if you have worked in Nigeria, Pakistan or India , you can take it.

I took this exam last year.

It's a very passable one if you have a mean preparation of psychiatry such as part I level, however you do need to put yourself into a GP's shoes and that is crucial + don't forget you're being examined about Irish Primary care dealing with psychiatry so a little bit of smart reading and googling can help more than textbooks.

There's an essay and a MCQ paper on Wednesday followed by Clinical on Friday. I had a first episode depression case and examiners where very nice and warm -unlike MRCPsych- and even said they were 'grateful' for the new info on the patient I gave them. On discussion they asked me how to design a new mental health bill if I was the irish Health Minister.

Check the irish College Of Physician website for application info and loads of previous forum entries on the superego for more details.

On the flip side - it's pretty costly + you need to pay the Diploma delivery as well - and of dubious utility especially once you get your MRCPsych.

Good luck folks

Hello I am planning to write DCP exam Nov this year, can any body help me which book I should read for this exam Kind regards Sib

Thank you very much for your help, any body has read book called "psychiatry for primary care written by patricia casey" Sib

nope.. i havent read it...

MRCPsych Part 2: Clinical exam: Long Case Presentations by Prathap Mohana Murthy for long cases was very useful when I prepared. Do present a few long cases with your Consultants especially those who did the old form of MRCPsych. The knowledge required is not that of psychiatrist but more at a GP level.

Get past papers - the essay Q bit and go through those topics. MCQ's are straightforward - Oxford handbook is more than sufficient. Patricia Casey is good too. Don't have to worry of rare things!

This was what I used but that was 6 years ago.

Very straightforward exam. 

Thank you very much for your help

Sib

Hi Sib, Did you do the exam. I am also planning to do it. Just wanted to have some information please. Thanks