Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ac97dmc

WHAT HAPPENS TO THE EXAM.?

14 posts in this topic

ne body, ne ideas, what happens to our MRCPsych examinations, from August next year? shall we be :lol:// :'( ????

At the moment there is a tug of war going on between the royal colleges about the exam.The pmteb wants to do away with the exams but the royal colleges want the exams to be a part of the assesment .If they continue to have the exams then the whole thing about training the doctors for the 21st century is thrown out of the window.

what I understand from the Dean's speech at the new Members Reception:

PMETB has realised that it cannnot take over the function of all Royal Colleges as it is not feasible.

Hence the College will continue to have a role.PMETB is in process of allocating more responsibilities with the Colleges

MRCPsych exam stays -

PArt - 1 patten to be changes in AUg 2007

PArt - 2 in 2009 (or similar)

PArt - 3 To be introduced in 2013

But the exam is staying atleast for next 5 - 10 years

yes the moral of the story being get your part II asap so that one can do ones training the good old way

Yup...but even if one gets their part 2 and doesnt get a number before the run through training comes through, he/she will still have to train in the new system. Currently only SpRs with an NTN have a choice whether to continue to train in the current scheme or switch into the new system. My guess is that the pass rate of the new exams is going to be a lot higher than the current 40-50% as numbered progression and the above pass rate cannot coexist.

good one froid.. i heard from my post grad clinical tutor about the 'part 3' stuff.. think your info is pretty much up to date.. but i dont know how exactly the college is goin to work with pmetb.. we all have to wait and see..

I thought pmteb was set up with the aim of doing away with exams and now the royal college is talking about part3!

Yes this is confirmed that the college is not going to abolish the exam, at least not for the next 6-7 years. They are indeed thinking of a part three but this will not happen for the next couple of years.

From one of the meetings I attended, it was said they are going to make the part II of the exams(Clinicals) more structured like the part I, i.e OSCE's.

My advice would be try your best (I'm sure everyone does anyway) to get the exam under your belt well in time.

The whole issue of MMC/PMETB is so confusing at the moment, even the top guys aren't clear about so many things. We'll just have to wait and see and meanwhile just carry on.........

what i heard is that the last present mrcpsych exam format will be in autumn 2007, and spring 2008 sees the new format part 1 and 2.part 3 comes in as an exit exam in 2010 or so.the exams will be staying and the college is quite keen on this.

being born 15 years earlier might have been a blessing...everything was so straight forward

the part iii will be a 'case based scenario' - more a local exam/appraisal with consultants from ur own training school. Nothing too fancy or so the Dean says.

PMETB have taken over the colleges functions officially as they now are the sanctioned authority for ensuring quality and standards for speciality training. However RCPsych (and all other royal colleges) will act on their behalf (ie as agents of PMETB) in delivering the speciality training due to their experience and expertise (in money making schemes as well as training!!!)

I'm going with the Chief Examiner's quote 'get your MRCPsych II ASAP'

A certain cynical side of me goes with the view that the reconfiguration is in part a politically charged process to create a bottleneck of Part I candidates and SHO's unable to get into training schemes. This seems to be mirrored in all specialities. This acts to create a wider tier of permanently contracted NHS-Grade Dr's to fill the staffing voids in the current system. Invariably these posts will be contractually worse for the doctors involed, but cheaper for the NHS - without the expensive training costs associated with prior schemes.

(Also, the prospect for the non-european graduate goes from bad to worse.)

pt 1 - isqs/emqs. starts spring 08

pt ii - osce. was due to start spring 08, but probably will start autumn 08.

pt iii - portfolio based assessment. looking at all of the workplace based assessments and feedback received during training. a bit like a big RITA.