Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest masteryoda

what is the bma doing?

11 posts in this topic

Does anybody else feel that we have been let down by the BMA our supposed union

Non Eu doctors have been hung out to dry and the MMC changes are universally unpopular yet our union has done absolutely nothing

Can you imagine if these wholesale changes would have been thrust on another profession- say nurses?

They would have been organising strike action as we speak

Well I say doctors of the uk unite! we need to go on strike!

exciting as a strike sounds it is never the best nor a practical solution. Besides drs in the Uk are too apathetic to unite! ;)

If ur a BMA member then chekc out the juniors section on the BMA website to find out what the JDC have done (which is a hell of alot!).

Also AFC isnt exactly popular amoungst some of the nurses - ask them what Banding they got and await the tirade of complaints!!

the bma has been working to get answers to the changes in the immigration rules but has not got them. they have repeatedly said that they were not consulted before the changes, but that the changes had to happen but have been done in an unfair way. they have been calling for a grace period for trainees in the system to complete training. these calls have been met with no response. they have sought legal opinion and issued advice on the basis of that. they are looking to take up cases of discrimination - if you've been affected then contact them.

what else could they do?

as for mmc. the jdc voted to campaign for a halt to mmc until transitional arrangements have been sorted out. they have been involved in negotiations on some mmc stuff.

how exactly is mmc bad for psychiatry?

MMC isn't going to be bad for you j, as an SpR you are safe in the old system. It's everyone else in training who'll be affected by MMC. In all specialties.

As for the BMA they're a bit split on this, the BMA in Scotland is advising the government go through with it as it is all lined up anyway. Not that they asked what their members thought, as far as I'm aware. I don't know a single SHO, FY or med student who thinks MMC is a good or necessary change.

But the government clearly want these reforms, and it would take something like calling a strike to alter that course. The problem with that is that if doctors strike, it's quite likely that patients will die as a result, and that's always a big disincentive. If other professions strike, generally people don't die unnecessarily as a result.

I can't believe how little attention in the national press this issue has gotten though. You'd think people would be annoyed that the government was going to make hundreds of doctors unemployed, given that any patients you speak to think waiting lists are too long, and that the NHS needs more staff, not less. Not to mention who the hell they think is going to run the hospitals out of hours.

I could rant and rant about this, but the truth of the matter is I'm tired and so dispirited that anything positive can come out of this that I have all but given up hope. This change has been in the pipeline for over a decade, and still they can't get it right nor did they consult and plan with those who will be most affected. And here we are with a year to go and still no-one can tell any of us how many training posts in each specialty there will be in each deanery. How is anyone meant to make plans in this climate? How do they expect to recruit new doctors when the realities you face after 5 years at med school with massive student debts are unemployment, a move abroad, or trusting to a national matching scheme which seems set to ignore professional choice and railroad people into jobs where there is a service need. How will they keep people in the profession that marry and get a mortgage in the 2 foundation years, only to be told that there are no training posts in that area for run through. And god help if there are any doctors married to other doctors if they can't get posts in the same area. Fancy spending 6 years away from your spouse or children?

I'll stop now before I combust.

and the reason i say that is, despite what you think from your position, the current system is not good for you. 50% of psych shos do not progress to cct. under the new system you will effectively be guaranteed to get through (unless you are crap).

there will be some current shos who don't get posts but there will not be mass unemployment. there will be an expansion of spr equivalent posts and a reduction of sho equivalent posts. which in the short term means that most of the people stuck waiting for an spr post should have a good chance of getting one, but some shos will miss out on training posts and will have to go into career grade posts. the only difference from now is that they will all go there at the same time. however, less of them will go there than under the current system.

over the next few years, it means most people who get in to training get to complete it, rather than being forced out for various reasons.

J, could you provide a link to where those figures come from?

I've only heard about the potential for a reduction in training numbers overall (a la BMJ: http://www.bma.org.uk/ap.nsf/Content/ARM2006bmanewsjuniors), but if there is to be expansion in SpR equivalent posts, then that would obviously be better. Where did you find that info?

J,

There are other rather more unsavoury aspects to the business that is MMC.

-eight CBD + a few 360 deg + perhaps a DOPS thrown in...enough?? this is for a year

-Psych trainees who are 'good' to start with will get 4+ years to stagnate if they really wish...c'mon, no amount of 'competancy assessments' by highly motivated (!) consultants can instil the kind of drive that passing exams and getting interviewed does

-oh, no exams...but wait, there will be exams and people still have to pass!!(unless they want to move sideways)

-at the end of this rather dark tunnel...the golden CCT....which does not mean you are trained up to be a consultant, just that've trained about enough to be 'at consultant level'.

All a big joke.

Await with baited breath when the 'encouragement' starts from Deaneries asking relatively new SpRs to transfer to ST4/5/6 >:(

J, could you provide a link to where those figures come from?

sorry, there is no link.

but here is what is happening.

at the moment there are far more sho posts than spr posts, because of the drop out rate. the idea of mmc is that instead of a pyramid type structure (lots of lower posts few higher posts) the numbers will match up, because entry to st gets you an ntn. so this means trusts/rotations have been asked how they will even the numbers up. options include converting sho posts to spr posts (by using the sho money to fund spr posts). most specialities do not have vacancies at consultant level, psychiatry has over 15% of consultant posts vacant. so this means for most specialities they can't expand higher training (as that would mean too many qualified docs), but for psych an expansion is wanted.

so each rotation has to decide what to do. we have decided to double the number of spr posts, other rotations have also decided to expand (not all by the same ammount). i don't know what is going on everywhere though.

io, i agree that there will be more assessments. that's a good or bad thing depending on your view point. at the moment the exam is unfair in that a fairly static proportion of people pass it and the pass mark is arbitrary, so it doesn't match up to pmetbs standards, and so it has to change.

as for training not preparing you to be a consultant, i agree to a large extent. spr training can prepare you to be a consultant if you do the right jobs and are motivated to get the experience you need.

the way training is delivered needs to change because otherwise psychiatrists will continue to be pushed further and further out of mental health services. any suggestions for how it should be improved?

I think most people are scared of change and being left out in the cold

I agree that potentially MMC could be an improvement it is just poor for morale to have so many changes enforced without any one knowing what is going on. My worry is that as this is a political change it will turn out like all other political changes- a huge chaotic mess

Look at the bright side, If we were surgeons we would be in big trouble