Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dontknow

where do you see yourself in 10 years?

22 posts in this topic

I sometimes wonder what psychiatry has in store for me.All things being equal,Isee my self as a consultant in a field i like but given the current trend, I dread a future where i get one week of locum job in 4 months as things seem to be getting worse by the day .I wonder why we still thinkof exams as there is no incentive to pass them.

dont be see disheartened

i see you as a consultant if not here, then in US, New zealand, Australia ;)

somewhere you will be recognised for what you are  8-)

its very interesting but the idea that medicine is security re: income, life style,respect and job satisfaction dates back years. when Lister,Syme, Fleming were practicing a 100 years ago their incomes were equivalent to footballer's wages. the adoration,gratitude and consequently rewards were probably why aeons later we and others are deluded that the profession is one to be gone into no matter what. i still feel it is a noble profession but the journey is much more of a struggle.

i have just realized though i don't half moan don't i ?........ i should see the glass as half full not always half empty.

well.. to tell you the truth guys.. i wouldnt be surprised if i went back to india and sit there in some remote area, practising psychiatry?! with the current uncertainity no one could afford to think about where they would place themselves in ten years time from now..! lolzz

in the the next ten years i probably see my self as a business tycon, importing and exporting,auctioneerig,running a locum agency etc donot say my ideas are expansile :lol:

i hope guys we are happy wherever we go and whatever we do.One can be happy in india living in a remote place...and be v unhappy in a foreign country with no family around...

we all r intelligent and no matter where we work we would be making a contribution to the society and a difference in peoples lives.

Satisfaction is v imp no matter what we do...a housewife can be happy just bringing up her children while aishwarya rai with all her beauty ,wealth n fame maybe v unhappy.

Atleast a consultant i guess ;) & i believe most of us will be.

cheers

I've no idea where I'll be in 10 months, let alone 10 years! Hopefully I'll have managed to get to be a consultant by then, but the process of getting there will be the hard to predict bit.

Mind you in 10 years time MMC will have proved so successful that the NHS will be booming, and we'll all be paid footballer's salaries again. We'll also have cracked the whole mind-brain problem and will have a pill for everything in psychiatry, leaving us all time to fly about in our cars and take holidays on the Moon.

Now where did I leave my risperidone...?

Chris,

love your positive attitude!! :)

for me, ten years i hope i am settled somewhere atleast assured that i will have a home, a family and the headaches of a family and for once, not preparing for the next set of exams!

Now to my grandiose wish- to win Euro millions and have a 2 million house, servants from India on work permit!! ;), have a great family and do some Locum work for the NHS- just to piss off the management guys and show off my new cars and new suits! OOOPS!, for me, pass me my Clozapine !! :lol:

eureka aiswarya is happ with abishek at the moment!

10 years, i am sure i will be a consultant in Psychiatry in the USA.

In ten years...

1. Consultant forensic psychiatrist with 2 research degrees, medical degree, membership and a law degree. Hopefully working in the south-east, maybe London. Starting out in private practice.

2. Living in a house that is a grand design...we'll build our own, cos building costs are about 30% of the price that you would pay for the house.

3. Married with 2 kids, aged 7 and 5.

4. 2nd hand 1981 aston martin v8 series 4...vantage if I can afford it, alfa 147 for the wife.

Got it all planned out...only MMC can stop it!

10 years down the line is too far ahead to plan. Currently I am certianly not what I thought I would be 10 years ago!

Well of course I would like to be well settled, with a nice big house and travelling around the world ! And perhaps still contributing to superegocafe!

I will be somewhere

Doing something

All for humanity

At the moment

Not thought about it

But do have a vision

That wherever I be

God will uphold me

And never let me down

So I move on

Like water in a stream

To reaching a destination

Which no man can tell

In ten years time

Though it looks far

But before you tell

You will be there

To put a note at Superego

Ok guys, no more grandiose ideas... time to face reality.

In light of current uncertainties its very hard to predict where one might end up.

What I would like is a Consultant/Medical Director's job and a Grand House and not to mention a Red Ferrari.

However., I shall still keep the option of winning the National Lottery and will keep playing. Canada seems a nicer option than staying in the Uk.

Enough guys, where is the ECT consent form, i Don't think the medication has helped too much.......

Interesting topic.

At times it helps to 'write down the vision', though it is mostly a futile pass time...

If i look at my life from the time i entered medical school 20 years ago at the precocious age of 15 with dreams of becoming a consultant and settling down well before the age of 30, and then look at where i am now, i cannot but smile at the futility of such escursions in fantasy...

My road from medical school towards becoming an authority in my chosen field has been quite a tortuous adventure.

By the time the story is written maybe i would have lived in 4 different continents spanning close to 30 years before i eventually put down my anchor...

I'm currently on vacation in the US and had some serious discussions with some friends already settled here and America so far from my point of view does seem appealing.

So, if i can pass the USMLE thing, then in 10years time i should either be an academic psychiatrist doing some heavily funded research or if the pull of mammon is too overwhelming i might end up running a private practice here where it is said that the brave choose to make their home...

in 10 yrs,i would be a newly retired attending phycisian on a long holiday to barbados with my pretty wife and 2 kids...with only my sat phone and laptop for contact with selected business associates and stockbrokers.

...and am not deluded!

I certainly will be in  Tamilnadu(India) with my family. Both of us would be consultant psychiatrists in the private sector. Children would be enjoying school, playing with cousins and friends and will not be subjected to any major, continuous pressures to follow a particular career path. I would also enjoy seeing my children learn the traditions and customs that we were taught. I would certainly enjoy conversing with them in tamil. I would also enjoy looking after my aged parents,  who have sacrificed a lot for what I am today.

I dream of a big house and leading a comfortable life. I would enjoy regular holidays with my family. I am confident of my practice doing well, having job satisfaction.

Well  The list is endless. I do not need medications cos I trust in GOD to be with me and see me through.

Hopefully working in a secure LD ward,doing occasional court work,living in a detached home, with no mortgage and 2 kids.

May have to move to Ireland to acheive this and stop the missus nagging !

If you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you

But make allowance for their doubting too,

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,

Or being hated, don't give way to hating,

And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream--and not make dreams your master,

If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim;

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat those two impostors just the same;

If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken

Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,

And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings

And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,

And lose, and start again at your beginnings

And never breath a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew

To serve your turn long after they are gone,

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,

Or walk with kings--nor lose the common touch,

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;

If all men count with you, but none too much,

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,

Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,

And--which is more--you'll be a [highlight]Man,[/highlight] my son! (read human)

--Rudyard Kipling

Ah yes.... to do at least one of those