Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aparanjothi

Study Leave

9 posts in this topic

Can anyone highlight of the number of days as an SHO in training is entitled to get his study leave?

depends on the local policy.  30 days a year i think is the norm, but your mrcpsych course could take up the majority of that.  where do you work?

there is a 'complicated' forumla in the junior doctors handbook. It depends like J says on ur course details essentially. e.g. if ur on a 'day release' type of course (weekly, run akin to university terms) then u dont get any.

Generally it is 5 days discresionary ontop of ur teaching days per 6months.

pm me if you cant get to handbook and can email u relevant pages.

There seems to be a clampdown on this - a trust I know of is now saying if you're on the mrcpsych course, you can't have any more study leave, only 2 days max for each exam. This doesn't even seem to be consistent throughout the rotation.

The whole thing will be changing soon anyway and the mrcpsych courses will probably be very different. &nbsp:lol:oesn't help now though...

depends on the region. trent deans have agreed that the course can only count for a max of 20 out of the 30 days regardless of how many days the course takes. some rotations are better than others with private study. for some you have to submit a timetable (when i was an sho in nottingham a couple of years ago i submitted a timetable that went something like monday - psychology, tuesday pharmacology, wednesday - phenomenology etc and got a week off), others you just tell them you want days off for private study and others will only let you have days off for courses. some will let you have time off for crammer courses eg guildford and others won't.

30 days seems about right. I agree it depends on how many days your local deanery takes off for any MRCPsych course it runs. I think we have 11 days taken off for this.

what if u have finished ur mrcpsych course,tehn can we use the leave fro pvt study..30 days in 1 yr

The bottom line is that it varies from Trust to Trust and ofcourse, on your clinical tutor.

If I put down the number of study leaves i took(and all my colleagues in the trust) as an SHO, I am sure no one will believe it. It was easily in the region of 40-50 per year.

This was going back a few years, I agree things have changed and the Trust are clamping down all kinds of leaves.

Believe me you........ i know trainees who hardly worked 70-80 working days a whole year and got away with it.

Well interesting ...!

I was recently told that London Deanery has decided against private study leave, but because they didn't put it in writing we got away this time round...!

So it seems that we are nnot going to have any more of these priviledges in the future...!

:'(