Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fola

visa status/ uk passport

6 posts in this topic

hi there people,

good luck to all the part 2 guys.

can anyone tell me the process or eligibility criteria for applying for a british passport?

i've been in the country 7years and have had a resident permit for 3years (based on my EU non british spouse)

can anyone advice me on the passport application process...

am i eligible at all?

thanks,

x.

I'm sure someone will give you more uptodate info but my understanding is htat you can 'try your luck' but you have the best chance of getting a passport through your spouse (support) after 4 years residency.

Depending on initial visa (for the first 4 years), the time spent may not count towards application.

Ofcourse the website is fairly selfexplanatory thou by no means pithy!!!

www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en/home

actually found this:

Naturalisation is not an entitlement and a decision can only be made to grant citizenship if you can demonstrate that you satisfy the legal requirements and the Home Secretary thinks fit.

The legal requirements you should meet before you are apply are that you:

1. Are aged 18 or over when you apply

2. Are of sound mind, so that you understand the step you are taking

3. Intend to continue to live in the UK, or to enter or continue in Crown Service, the service of an international organisation of which the UK is a member or the service of a company or association established in the UK

4. Can communicate in English (or Welsh or Scottish Gaelic) to an acceptable degree

5. Have sufficient knowledge about life in the UK (this requirement will apply to all applications received by the Home Office on or after 1 November 2005

6. Are of good character

7. Have lived legally in the UK for a minimum of five years before you apply (three years if you are applying on the basis of marriage to a British citizen) and are free from immigration time restrictions.

i woud advise you to read all the things on the website but after that please please consult an Immigration solicitor- a good one to help with the application. they may charge you about a 100 quid but it is worth every penny. they check all the details and make sure the application has the least chance of being rejected.

the first half hour is free as well so you can cosult them if your application is valid or not then if you proceed further they charge you for processing the application.

PLEAESE FIND A GOOD SOLICITOR. i had a bad solicitor 3 years ago who didn't give me the right advise. good luck

You should go to the nearet Citizens Advice Bureau, you will get the information and it is completely free! They may also have the forms for you to fill in as well. So do go now!!