Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rddoc

Freud & sexual abuse

5 posts in this topic

guys..the other day i was talking to a psychologist and we were discussing about the after math of childhood sexual abuse.. the topic then went on to psychoanalysis..

i hear that Freud was asked to shut up with regards to childhood sexual abuse by the psychological society in Europe..

Freud stopped discussing and talking about CSA after he was accused of abusing Anna, his youngest daughter..

I always thought that Anna was very close to him and had always been a 'father's daughter' and that was the reason why she was able to contribute enormously to psychiatry.

This was quite shocking to me and may be i am ignorant of what happened in his personal life.. i would welcome any further info regarding this as i have been fascinated towards Freud for ages..

I think I remember hearing that Freud did originally hit on an idea that neuroses were the sequelae to CSA and traumatic events in childhood, but that he didn't get taken seriously as people in Victorian times did not want to consider the possibility of CSA. Given that a lot of his clients were middle to upper class ladies I would imagine they and their families would have found it difficult to admit to abuse going on, even if it had. I'd heard this was one of the reasons why he flipped his theory round to it being the infant's fault, i.e. the infant had latent sexualised ideas towards its parents whiich lead to all of the problems in later life. I think this is probably why Freud's ideas make so little sense...

This was quite shocking to me and may be i am ignorant of what happened in his personal life.. i would welcome any further info regarding this as i have been fascinated towards Freud for ages..

Is it Freud you've been fascinated about, or his ideas? Reading somebody's biography can be interesting. And I'd also recommend reading what those who've disagreed with him have written.

Personally, I have read a fair amount of Freud, but I can't say I'm fascinated by him or his ideas...

I've been biased against psychodynamic psychotherapy since we had a lecture from an 'expert' in medical school, discussing a case of women who had been abused as a child.

He suggested that her current neurotic problems were down to her unrecognized 'guilt' that she had (at the age of 3) fantasized about having sexual relations with this man and had 'seduced' him in order to bear a child by him. [smiley=shocked.gif]

It's the only time I've heard booing in a lecture hall. I've never quite got over my distaste for Freud et al since. >:(

Oreta, Im fascinated by both his ideas and Frued as a person to be honest.. I did go through some books about those who didnt agree with him.. I found CGJ's views very interesting and no wonder he moved out of Freudian school at the earliest opportunity.

I have great respect for Frued's ideas not only just because he is widely considered as the father of psychoanalysis but some of his analytical models are truly amazing..