Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
klein

PMP REVISION EATING DISORDER

8 posts in this topic

let me start with

You are seeing a 24 yr old woman in op clinic and she has a BMI of 11.2. she is disoriented and her speech is slurred.she had already been admitted and treated for eating disorder and always put on adequate weight.how will you assess and manage her?what re the physical features you will look for?will you use MHA? when will u consider force feeding?

these lady seemed to pose medical emergency

I would do a quick physical examination which include asessing level of consciousness and recording vitals and would liason with medics and would arrange transfer to near by medical unit.

If possible i would send blood for electrolyte level,haematological and biochemical parameters and do a ECG while awaiting transfer.

I would keep in mind hypokalemia,hypoglycemia and hypothermia which could be reason for her current physical state. i would also consider drug over dose and intoxication as the possible cause.

i think u can use the MHA as the mental illness will get better if person is force fed.

Anorexia is the only disorder where the physical condition can be treated by the implement MAH'83. I think there is no other physical condition which can be treated under MHA'83.

Then we should follow nomal format including full assessment including history , mental state examination , investgations including more information and psychological tests and risk assessment

Management :short and long term

psychological : motivational interviewing ,family therapy , CBT, IPT

Medication, SSRIs if depression associated

social intervention

To exclude organic illnes is very important like malignacy, hiv, malabsorpion etc..

i might be stating the obvious but this is HYPOKALEMIA induced confusion, right?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0