Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
corpuscallosum

Call the police? PMP 17th May, 5.50 PM

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

Heard that PMPs at the same time on the same day are same all over. So one of the PMPs I got at 5.50 PM on 17th May was about a patient on the ward with psychotic symptoms who made an unprovoked assault on the staff. I went through the steps of assessment, RT, later review, referral for forensic assessment and possicble transfer to PICU. But I was asked if I would encourage the staff to call the police. They seemed dissatisfaied when I said its decision of the staff and would discuss it in the review. They seemed dissatisfied and asked me again if I would activily encourage them to call the police.....to which i said no. The knock came and I left.

How did folks do in this PMP?

Would people with experience advice pls.....

Thanks.

You seemed to have done the scenario pretty well but are unsure as you feel you couldn’t satisfy the examiners with your reply.  My gut feeling is they wanted you to say yes; hence they repeated the same question, rephrasing it.  If a person does assault another person, be it provoked/unprovoked, experiencing psychotic symptoms or not, depending on the severity (mere push to ABH/GBH), the police might need to be involved.  It might have been a good idea to say you would have considered it as  it seemed important from their point of view.  However on the other hand, this could be something trivial and have no bearing on your overall performance.  So cheer up and believe you did well enough to get through your practicals.  Good luck!

As above, any assault needs to be informed to the Police, though patient's fitness to be interviewed should be taken into consideration and staff usually asks the RMO's view about it and then call the Police.

Last week, Hugh Grant assaulted a tabloid photographer (kick in the groin). Within a few hours the police were at his door charging him and took him to the local station for questioning.

I agree with Vivacious, the police should be involved at the outset.

However, I think containing the ACUTE risk, as you did, is equally important.

Dont worry, you did fine!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0