• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dontknow

man threatening to jump off  bridge

12 posts in this topic

This is one of the past questions on this web site. A policeman phones to say there is a patient of yours who you saw last by a motor way bridge.He is threatening to jump from a bridge .the police wants you to speak to the man on the phone.How will you proceed?

Paloa

has such a question come before or is it a little stretch of the imagination :-?

it is in one of the superego past pmp questions, you know the ones that some pooled alll past pmps together

In reality I would tell them this is not my role, and that they should follow their own protocols for the immediate management of suicidal behaviour. At the very least he is chargable with a Breach of the Peace and can be taken into police custody. If they feel he requires a psychiatric assessment afterwards then I'd be happy to provide one. Otherwise the patient is not my concern and I would have no desire to speak to them over the telephone in that sort of situation.

I would reply to the police that talking to tht person at this moment in time over the phone is not appropriate. If they have the reasonable doubt that patient would be at risk, they can detain that person under the section 136(trasfer to place of safety by the police officer from the public place).

Then DP, detained person should be seen by the FME, fornsic medical examiner and referral should be made to us if he or she feels as appropriate.

Then MHA assessment should be carried out at police station.then, full psychiatric asssessment as usual.

I would reply to the police that talking to tht person at this moment in time over the phone is not appropriate. [highlight]If they have the reasonable doubt that patient would be at risk, they can detain that person under the section 136[/highlight](trasfer to place of safety by the police officer from the public place).

Then DP, detained person should be seen by the FME, fornsic medical examiner and referral should be made to us if he or she feels as appropriate.

Then MHA assessment should be carried out at police station.then, full psychiatric asssessment as usual.

Just an aside, you can't TELL the police to detain anyone, if that is what you meant. You can ADVISE them on following their protocol. But I think there could be a scenario of a negotiator asking you to distract the person. Don't forget if you are not on call then it shouldn't be coming to you hehe

a similar situation happened to me 2 days back during my oncall. a man was threatening to jump from the roof in the hospital at 2am. he ran out of A&E while being referred to me. I was asked to persuade him to climb down.

I refused saying that it was upto the police to deal with the situation. fire brigade where also called. In the meantime he took an overdose along with vodka in the roof.

I think we would be risking ourselfs and the client if v intervene. We also dont know how long will this take. Their may be other commitments and we may not be able to leave if we had started speaking to guy threatening to jump.

Best is for police to rescue him and be assessed in police station or A&E. In the meantime we could gather further information regarding his past history and current situation through collateral from family/ others involved.

oh dear! stressful situation it seems...

what happened in the end?

as he had taken overdose along with alcohol, he was flat by the time he was brought down, was taken to resus room and later admitted to the medical ward. looks like he had earlier o/d with methadone before coming to hospital.

their is no point in v trying to be a hero. our intervention is not neccessary when v have little information.

as he had taken overdose along with alcohol, he was flat by the time he was brought down, was taken to resus room and later admitted to the medical ward. looks like he had earlier o/d with methadone before coming to hospital.

their is no point in v trying to be a hero. [highlight]our intervention is not neccessary when v have little information.[/highlight]

Remember you are also 'experts' in your field and sometimes it is our responsibility and in fact duty to provide advice to our colleagues. But I think you were right in what you did.

I would reply to the police that talking to tht person at this moment in time over the phone is not appropriate. [highlight]If they have the reasonable doubt that patient would be at risk, they can detain that person under the section 136[/highlight](trasfer to place of safety by the police officer from the public place).

Just an aside, you can't TELL the police to detain anyone, if that is what you meant. You can ADVISE them on following their protocol. But I think there could be a scenario of a negotiator asking you to distract the person. Don't forget if you are not on call then it shouldn't be coming to you hehe

what I mean is what you just said, thats up to the police to decide, that i think is pretty obvious in my quote already.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0