Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smithy

poll on violence

12 posts in this topic

was going to do a poll on violent behaviour towards psychiatrists. I found it tricky to construct so I thought instead I´d start a debate on how best to phrase the Q&A´s so that the answer is meaningful.

trying to get an idea of the prevelance of physical abuse towards us guys. not the occational dig of a granny, more interested in the tupe that might seriously disfigure you, kill you, or at least give you sleepless nights for a very long time.............

Do psychiatrists face potential or real violence than say A&E workers, psychiatric nurses and social workers?

Psychiatrists are not as exopsed to violence than A & E staff.

Hi

The first night that I was oncall in my first post here, while I was attending a patient having a broken nose I was punched in back by another patient. So far this has been the only actuall attack towards me. I also had two patients in office while they were carrying weapons with them. One wanted to kill somebody before coming to office whom fortunately he didn't find. The other one was long time ago and he was a borderline teenager who wanted to scare me, so had a long chat about it afterwards.

Really fun, no ?! ::)

My staff grade psychiatrist got 2 death threats from 2 diff patients in the space of 10 days.

I guess u could divide the poll into verbal and physical aggression. This could further be divided into severity . Adding frequency will make it very long, cumbersome to intepret and boring!

eg:

Verbal   swearing   once a week

once a month

once in 3 months

once in 6 months

more than 6 months

never

Threat to harm

Threat to kill

Physical    indirect attack (object thrown) - no injury

indirect attack - injury

direct attack - no injury

direct attack - minor injury

direct attack - major injury (bleeding, etc)

Good luck!

one of my collegues was tied and held at knife point for 4 hours recently before he was

freed by the police, who used a tazer gun on the patient :o. At the same incedent another

team member was attacked and  had is forearm slashed injuring some tendons. my college had seen the patient in clinic erlier in the day, who had come requesting accomodation. He then came back to the CMHT with a knife with the intention of using it on my college. thankfully my college did not recieve any psychcal injury.

i found this to be a real eye opener, as i had never thought about it in the past, this could

easily happen to us while assessing a PD or alcoholics in A&E.

worth doing breakaway course...

but can we remember applying those skills when in danger?? especially when we update the skills once in a year and dont often practise in day to day life which makes us deskilled.

On one of the wards in my hospital, staff were restraining a violent patient. He was tranquilised and calmed down. Just then another patient needed restraining. The former patient approached a staff from back and bit him on the back. Witnessess reported (thank God I wasnt there) that flesh was hanging out.

:o

a psychiatrist in sydney i worked with was taken hostage for few hours

just few weeks ago one of my colleague SHO was followed by one of our ex-patient in car all for a long distance in a motorway. he was tailgating aswell.

A female patient kicked me with her prosthetic leg unprovoked when i approached her for admission.

A female patient kicked me with her prosthetic leg unprovoked when i approached her for admission.

sounds like provocation to me.