• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pinkshoes

Immigration

6 posts in this topic

I was just looking through a past PMP and am a bit stuck... A Somalian man is admitted with psychosis and whilst an inpatient he tells you that he is an illegal immigrant. What do you do?

I haven't ever come across this clinically and can't find any guidlelines (altho I am so tired I may have missed them!). Can anyone advise?

We dont have to do anything special

Just treat his psychosis as usual

3 times when you consider disclosure of information

1. If the patient asks you to.. and gives consent

2. If the court asks you to

3. If there is some concerns about vulnerability and protection (of the patient or others)

Otherwise everything is the same. The fact that he is an illegal immigrant is not of any importance.

We dont have a duty to inform the home office just because he is an illegal immigrant.

But the problem will be with after care. He may not have a GP; and social services will not be able to arrange for any accomodation or finance etc...

Thats as far as I know... please correct me if I am wrong

I think this is good advice dorianne, and I like your epitaph.  Now where did I put that lovely claim form.......

We dont have to do anything special

Just treat his psychosis as usual

3 times when you consider disclosure of information

1. If the patient asks you to.. and gives consent

2. If the court asks you to

3. If there is some concerns about vulnerability and protection (of the patient or others)

Otherwise everything is the same. The fact that he is an illegal immigrant is not of any importance.

We dont have a duty to inform the home office just because he is an illegal immigrant.

But the problem will be with after care. He may not have a GP; and social services will not be able to arrange for any accomodation or finance etc...

Thats as far as I know... please correct me if I am wrong

Absolutely spot on dorian- treat his psychosis and don't worry about his legal status

Thats a tricky area to get into...esp discussions about his legal status.

Treating him humanely is more important and balancing our duties is important too.

Hi,

I would also discuss this at our CMHT/MDT meeting and suggest input from our social worker. He/she may be able to explore options such as providing support under the National Assistance act. Support rendered would involve accommodation and subsistence allowance.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mathew

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0